NHS nurse given a rental Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Read that an NHS nurse was given a rental Mercedes for her work that she is allowed to take home. No idea what the model is. I get the part that they have to travel and a vehicle is necessary. Don't they have a car pool that they can take a car for that day. Are they allowed to use their own car and claim mileage?

Anyone knows.

One of my Nephew's wife, is an NHS midwife, she gets a car as part of her "package". Don't know the exact details, except it is replaced every three years, so, I guess, a Lease Car.

Did they do a proper job, aiming from behind the knee?

Cliche makes a good point. Anything fired from a shotgun inside a car, even light birdshot or rock salt, is going to over penetrate and make a helluva mess. I wonder if they gave the victim the two-pack outside the car and then used it to transport him?

My guess is that the used the car to move him after they'd fired the shots, and probably even put something down to cover the blood. That's based on the assumption that he's really not so stupid as to take his mam's car back looking like a butchers van, and she's not daft enough to just tut and take it round to the car wash.

That means she could have an option of a defence of ignorance, and that she just assumed one of her lads mates had cut themselves and bled a bit.

Anything beyond a splash here and there, and surely they'd be dragging the valeters in as accessories after the fact?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Its across all media. Initially it was just Mercedes, then the model. The car is central to her prosecution. So it is unlikely to be poor journalism across the board.

Your response does indicate poor use of the budget. You will never see this sort of abuse in the private sector including MNC. Hence my surprise.

Large-scale reduction / discount from manufacturers seems hollow. It sounds like NHS has no choice or leverage to get smaller cars as bigger cars are cheaper.

I did not want to put the crime involved earlier as it will draw the attention away from an NHS practice that needs an answer. NHS consumes the biggest slice of our budget.

At the very least a response from NHS is warranted and it will dispel any claims about poor journalism or any other excuse. It will help if they clarified how long she kept it for context.

At the end of the day, it could be just one Trust that is mismanaging it resources.

I hope they do not provide some silly excuse that manufacturers gave a sweet deal on a Mercedes Sports model. I am sure they won't as they will laughed at.

It is 14 years since I retired, so, things may have changed, but, speaking as someone who worked in public sector (including NHS) and private sector, I can only say, the bit in bold is not inline with my experience (not saying Public Sector cannot waste too) ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Bearing in mind that Registered Nurses have to prove a that they meet a number of strict criteria not least of which is "being of good character" when they annually renew their registration with the NMC and are subject to even further scrutiny at their 3 yearly revalidation it would be hard to see how she could comply with the requirements after such a conviction.

Not my wife's experience (as a Registered Nurse almost all of her working life), she did retire 14 years ago, so, things may have changed of late, but, if so, Daughter No1 (also a Registered Nurse) has never mentioned it.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

For my own part I suggest that we will never know, so are flogging a dead horse. This may be an example of NHS profligacy, and lord knows enough of it goes on, but it could equally be innocent and reasonable (the car, not the kneecapping). We can all flap our gums as much as we like but will still never know either way.

Yes, but... it is raining out, and, this is marginally more interesting than helping with the house work ;)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think you are splitting hairs here. Every year you have to sign various declarations in the knowledge that a percentage of re registrants may be called upon to provide further evidence by the NMC. The likelihood may be small, and I was never required to do so. Not quite "signing the occasional form" for the average nurse re registering in good faith, as the possibility is always there. Of course if you were the sort to cover up a murder, blagging your annual registration is small fry. The increase in scrutiny of nurses in recent years such as the introduction of 3 yearly revalidation from April 2016 makes such things more difficult too.
I fully understand what you say here and the serious undertaking the registration documents are.

However I'm not splitting hairs as a declaration proves nothing no matter how seriously one takes it. If you ask me to prove I have a driving licence would you accept a written statement or would you expect to see the licence? Try hiring a car without proving you have a licence.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My mum was a community midwife and used her own car, charging mileage for wear and tear.
There was a scheme to lease a car and you could use it for personal mileage, a bit like a company car. But I suspect every trust has different policies.
+1 My mum did the same.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wonder if they gave the victim the two-pack outside the car and then used it to transport him?

The evidence is clear.

The shooter was in the front seat and the injured party was in the back seat when the shot was fired.

She must have good valeters if they can get the pellets out of the seats and leave no marks.

Quite the reverse, given the pair were captured partly because it was not possible to remove all traces of the shooting from the back seat.

Drago

Legendary Member
Than that being the case, how did this woman think a valeter was going to remove lead from the upholstery?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Than that being the case, how did this woman think a valeter was going to remove lead from the upholstery?

More serious answer:

Rereading the Mail's comprehensive report it appears the prosecution found traces of blood on the seat.

The prosecutor said the shot was at 'point blank' range, which it had to be given their respective positions.

Presumably, the majority of the shot was embedded in the poor man's leg, given it had little distance in which to spread.

To use a police phrase, the remaining shot was 'there to be seen', so it's possible she managed to remove all of it from the car before taking it to be cleaned.

Not easy, but possible.

The prosecutor didn't mention the recovery of any shot, which I think he would have done because that's good supporting evidence.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
What a nonsense story. It doesn't even say what she does. 'A mental health nurse', she could be a nurse in the same way that Kier Starmer is a lawyer, or that Prince Charles is a helicopter pilot!

The lease car scheme doesn't cost the taxpayer anything, other than any admin of the scheme. My wife had a Crown Car a number of years ago. She could pick anything she wanted, but paid the leasing premium straight from her salary. If she went over her mileage allowance, she paid 6p per mile. There was no money from the hospital towards the provision of the car - the vehicles were leased directly from a major garage and the lease costs paid in full by the employees who got the cars.

Top Bottom