NHS Volunteering..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
There appears to be a dozen or so other volunteers in the vicinity, as indicated on the map in the app. If they're just the ones who are currently set as being 'on duty,' then i guess it might be a while before I get called. Have no sense what the demand is likely to be.

Drago

Legendary Member
To make life easier on the NHS, you can always volunteer for one of the Cat 2 responder groups who are being called upon to assist. For example, our local 4x4 Response group have been called upon to do a load of logistical work. It makes organisation easier for the NHS by having a whole pool of people with a single point of contact who will arrange the individual taskings for them.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Cat 2 responder groups
Do you know if these are these listed anywhere Drago? A web search hasn't turned up anything useful.

It makes organisation easier for the NHS by having a whole pool of people with a single point of contact who will arrange the individual taskings for them
Won't the Responder app act as the single point of contact through which the pool of people is accessed?

Drago

Legendary Member
I have no idea about the app I'm afraid.

Havew a play with google to find local groups, or find out about your councils local resiliance forum/and or officer. The advantage of thedse Cat 2 groups is they're already well organised and lready have defined roles, so they're targeting areas identified well in advances as a need, and they're more productive. Having said that, if there aren't any local groups then solo volunteering will doubtless still be welcome.

Our SAR group is on a readiness status to assist the dibble and Trumpton, but thus far nothing yet.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Wearing gloves is no better than hand washing. If the person has touched something contaminated with virus, the gloves will transfer it just the way a bare hand would. Some advice is to leave any shopping that doesn't have to be chilled/frozen for a day to let viruses die from cardboard, or take inner plastic bags out then discard the cardboard. The inner plastic should be fine.
There is plenty of evidence to show that when you wear gloves you don't touch your face as much as you're more conscious of the gloves on your hand. That's the main reason I wear them

tom73

Guru
Equally people are less likely to carry out hand washing once they have removed them.
True infection control is both a science and an art. One of which needs understanding and you need to be well practiced in the other.
Only training and on going correct use can achieve both.
If it's not Mrs 73 spent 2 years for nothing writing national training and protocols which will be shorty keeping volunteers at the nightingale hospitals safe.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
It doesn't matter at all if you've not been trained to remove the gloves without risk of self contamination.
Is this true? The virus isn’t like a nerve agent, it doesn’t infect you on contact with skin, does it? If the next thing you do after glove removal is hand washing then what you have gained is likely to be a reduction in face touching, which is surely valuable.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It doesn't matter at all if you've not been trained to remove the gloves without risk of self contamination.
As soon as I take the gloves off I use hand sanitizer before driving home. Then I wash hands with soap and water when I walk through the door

I know you're very keen to talk about being trained to remove gloves, having mentioned it several times. What I'm talking about is decent mitigation for the large majority of the population that hasn't been trained and will not be trained

steven1988

Veteran
Im in too, will be on duty all weekend

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Brother has volunteered to help the elderly and vulnerable in his community, although it might not be for the NHS.

After going through a short application process he was told his details would be kept on file because they have been inundated by offers of help.

Brother has done his first volunteer job today.

He was sent to do the food shopping for a mother with two children.

He went to her door, took her list and her contactless card, then went to the shop, did the shopping, including a phone call to check an out of stock item, then back to her house with the goods.

Taking the bank card surprised me, but brother said the rules were it had to be contactless so the volunteer didn't take the PIN number.

No protective equipment, although he was given an anti-virus cleaning spray and a few wipes.

Overall, brother said he was only out of the house for about an hour, and he found the system was efficient and worked well.

Top Bottom