NHS Volunteering..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
take care smudge
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/cooking_with_tins

tins can be good for mixing into stuff - even small bits of cheap meat for flavour - we should be eating less meat anyway.

agree you need more veg though - plum tomatoes very handy - often very cheap from london street markets - can be frozen - do you have local markets folk can get to for you?

I already had some tinned food in, but it was tinned food i can make meals with like tuna, salmon and corned beef..... and baked beans & toms of course. Plus i have stuff in the freezer, so it was never going to be a real prob until the end of next week.
Spoke to my volunteer this aft. She brought me round some fresh fruit, and said she'll call me again on monday to see what else i want from the shop.
She's a real diamond, in fact all the volunteers that are doing this are.

dodgy

Update:

1585336452821.png

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Just checked with my car insurance. Tesco car insurance have confirmed via their automated phone message that I'm covered for using my car for this volunteering. Not sure about other insurance companies. Would imagine the same.

Now signed up as NHS volunteer and with British Red Cross and see what turns up once they get on top of it.
👍
If other folks are thinking of contacting their insurers, as per the guidance given during signup, this release from the ABI might save you time.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
It varies a lot depending on the surface. Hard, smooth surfaces (like metals, glass, plastics) it survives the longest. Soft, irregular surfaces (like clothes, cardboard) is survives the shortest. There is a lot of research ongoing. Seems like it's potentially "several days" for the hard surfaces and "up to a day" on the soft surfaces
So you have to think about whether your food packaging may carry the virus. Having said that, in Aldi this morning, all staff were wearing gloves to stack the shelves. I'd be surprised if the product had been touched before then
Wearing gloves is no better than hand washing. If the person has touched something contaminated with virus, the gloves will transfer it just the way a bare hand would. Some advice is to leave any shopping that doesn't have to be chilled/frozen for a day to let viruses die from cardboard, or take inner plastic bags out then discard the cardboard. The inner plastic should be fine.

Some advice is to leave any shopping that doesn't have to be chilled/frozen for a day to let viruses die from cardboard, or take inner plastic bags out then discard the cardboard. The inner plastic should be fine.

Nor arguing with this but can anyone back this up?

I ask as my brother is delivering stuff to my isolating mum. (I'm miles away)

On the volunteering I did sign up - though i do get the feeling they will have enough folk and as i'm in london many many alternatives. I would guess that they will try to minimise the number of cyclists delivering stuff for practical/health reasons, keeping other folks in reserve in case some folk become incapacitated.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Nor arguing with this but can anyone back this up?

I ask as my brother is delivering stuff to my isolating mum. (I'm miles away)
I've put some of the links I found here:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/coronavirus-parcels-and-shopping.258933/

Typically, I couldn't find again the FDA article I refer to in 2) with the first link!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Ok, looks like it's starting, message just came in and it seems we have an 'uber driver' kind of arrangement! Perfect for me!

View attachment 511528
The app is still set up for people who respond to cardiac arrests. If you haven't already tried it, be aware that the Simulate an Alert' sets off a very loud siren sound! As Note 2 says, we won't get that kind of alert- so it's a pity they didn't ament the main message to remove the suggestion to try it!

Top Bottom