NHS Volunteering..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

How are the folks who've signed up getting on (@dodgy, @steven1988)? Intrigued to hear how it all works :smile:

Haven't heard any more just yet, Wirral is quite far down the 'league' table of infections so far which might be way I'm not needed - yet...

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks - I guess you signed up to some of the more "close contact" options like patient transport..? I'm hoping / guessing that you don't any additional clearance simply to deliver stuff..?

I guess like a lot of people things are up in the air here; practicalities permitting I'd be very happy to be added to a pool of people who can step up to do the odd delivery job here and there when possible; don't want to waste more NHS time than I spend helping out though if there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

Tempted just to sign up tbh as I'm running out of stuff to occupy myself with, while the weather's looking good for the next week or so; meaning any excuse to get out would likely be welcome!

I did think about just asking at the local pharmacy (I figure this would be the role best suited to the bike as the packages are small) although suspect they might just point me in the direction of the main NHS signup..
Nope, not driving as I don't have a DBS - identity has to be verified for all

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks - I guess you signed up to some of the more "close contact" options like patient transport..? I'm hoping / guessing that you don't any additional clearance simply to deliver stuff..?

I guess like a lot of people things are up in the air here; practicalities permitting I'd be very happy to be added to a pool of people who can step up to do the odd delivery job here and there when possible; don't want to waste more NHS time than I spend helping out though if there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

Tempted just to sign up tbh as I'm running out of stuff to occupy myself with, while the weather's looking good for the next week or so; meaning any excuse to get out would likely be welcome!

I did think about just asking at the local pharmacy (I figure this would be the role best suited to the bike as the packages are small) although suspect they might just point me in the direction of the main NHS signup..
Have you looked at your local council's volunteer site?

tom73

Guru
i've volunteered for many years and managed them both paid and part of my voluntary work. So know how much work this will take to pull off. Many mostly fit and able people have now become housebound over night or cut off from family that help them. So most of the calls will be just helping them out. With simple stuff they can't do anymore. Any with real need will not be covered by this I suspect or be covered by other voluntary services already delivering services to them. Or with trained volunteers they already have.

Safeguarding is important and online training is possible. But i'd suggest a lot of cross checking will going off and volunteering matching will be going on. LA will be aware of people needing help who are possibly a risk to others. So won't be covered by this but other services that are currently working with them will carry on.

Re car Insurance most companies are signed up to a national agreement that covers voluntary work.
The association of motor insurances website site has a list. If in doubt check with your provider.

I'm currently waiting back to see how I can help my local area coordinate the volunteer response. Be it possessing , training , or being put back on FA response. My hunch is that it maybe carried out under one name "NHS volunteers" but ran and managed by the NAVCA members on a local level by it's members via the VCS EP. Meetings have already been happening with government. What's being asked has never really happened before and is a massive job to pull together. Unlike war time many of the organisations no longer have a good number of people trained and ready to go.

As for waiting please wait and see what happens many organisations are now getting so many requests they can only go as quick as they can.
I do know the British Red Cross has really been swamped after the daily mirror got involved with the appeal.
They can only offer you requests to help if your area starts asking them. Some LA are currently not preferring to use local pools of volunteers they are putting together.

The fact that we may now have too many vouenteers to go round is great. Trying to recruit volunteers is hard going so once we get over this current situation. Remember the same groups will still be around and still need help. So remember just as a dog is not just for Christmas. Volunteering is not just for times like this but ongoing. So if can carry on in some way how ever small then go for it.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Haven't heard any more just yet, Wirral is quite far down the 'league' table of infections so far which might be way I'm not needed - yet...
Ta :smile:
Nope, not driving as I don't have a DBS - identity has to be verified for all
Thanks - didn't know there were additional checks besides the DBS.
Have you looked at your local council's volunteer site?
I have; there's quite a lot to work through and it doesn't seem as straightforward / informative / clearly defined as the NHS site, but I'll keep digging :smile:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Identity check presumably for those who don't have DBS? Had to upload photo of passport
Thanks for clarifying - not sure my 2007 2mp phone camera would be up to that, but I could always give it a crack!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Just checked with my car insurance. Tesco car insurance have confirmed via their automated phone message that I'm covered for using my car for this volunteering. Not sure about other insurance companies. Would imagine the same.

Now signed up as NHS volunteer and with British Red Cross and see what turns up once they get on top of it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
but if you aren't going to give me food that is healthy and nutritious, then i'm going to have to leave my house and get it myself.

@Smudge

Leaving the house to get food if you are well enough to do so isn't against the shielding advice, because that's what it is, advice.

Quoting from the shielding document:

"Shielding is for your personal protection. It is your choice to decide whether to follow the measures we advise."

Rejecting all of it by carrying on as before would be taking the wee, but reducing pressure on stretched resources by obtaining your own food is, I reckon, being more socially responsible, not less.

As the document says, the measures are for your protection.

If you practise social distancing while shopping, you are causing no greater risk to others.

Get yourself down to Morrisons - it's nice and quiet in there.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

Smudge

Veteran
@Smudge

Leaving the house to get food if you are well enough to do so isn't against the shielding advice, because that's what it is, advice.

Quoting from the shielding document:

"Shielding is for your personal protection. It is your choice to decide whether to follow the measures we advise."

Rejecting all of it by carrying on as before would be taking the wee, but reducing pressure on stretched resources by obtaining your own food is, I reckon, being more socially responsible, not less.

As the document says, the measures are for your protection.

If you practise social distancing while shopping, you are causing no greater risk to others.

Get yourself down to Morrisons - it's nice and quiet in there.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

I am part of the 1.5 million people that have been advised not to leave our houses at all, as i'm high risk of being hospitalised if i were to get this virus. So its not about me passing on the illness, its also about not being a burden on the already stretched NHS if i were to get it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I am part of the 1.5 million people that have been advised not to leave our houses at all, as i'm high risk of being hospitalised if i were to get this virus. So its not about me passing on the illness, its also about not being a burden on the already stretched NHS if i were to get it.

Yes, I grasp that.

That's why the quotes in my post are from the extremely vulnerable guidance, which is the guidance you are under.

Matter for you, of course.

Top Bottom