NHS Volunteering..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
don't forget setting fire to 2 Iceland delivery vans and launching missiles at police
That’s only going to get worse over the coming days. Wait until the bank holiday weekend. I’m getting images of the Toxteth riots, and the poll tax demos for some reason.

DRM

Guru
I had to supply my passport information from which the process starts for DBS.
Also you’ll be wise to get business cover on your car insurance too if you intend using it to deliver goods/services around the community, this and the length of time for a DBS to come through could kybosh peoples good intentions, also they should have safeguarding training to protect others, and themselves.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You really are a self righteous prig, if you can't say anything supportive don't say anything.
I was not being unsupported. I was surprised at the numbers they were asking for.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Also you’ll be wise to get business cover on your car insurance too if you intend using it to deliver goods/services around the community, this and the length of time for a DBS to come through could kybosh peoples good intentions, also they should have safeguarding training to protect others, and themselves.

I recently had to do a DBS and Safeguarding course for British Cycling to be recognised as our Cycling Club Welfare Officer.

The DBS was quite simple and quick. It did require a post office visit to have three identity documents validated. I don't know if this is standard procedure but if it is would seem to be the potential pinch point and carries a serious risk of personal contact etc.

Finding a local Safeguarding course was more difficult and many, within a radius of +/- 30 miles, were booked up 2-3 months ahead. My course had 13 candidates in a cramped room which would probably be reduced to 4 to provide social distancing.

Were Safeguarding to be required this would be a very significant bottleneck. For the 405,000 reported to have applied I would think impossible to achieve in the time available.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I was not being unsupported. I was surprised at the numbers they were asking for.
We are requiring 1.5m people to isolate themselves. These people need food deliveries, medicine deliveries, phone calls to see how they are feeling

This is a people demand that didn't exist two days ago. Previously the isolators went to the shops and pharmacies themselves.

1.5m people, think about it. The great thing was that 250k was asked for and more than double have applied. Goes to show that there are huge numbers of good, public spirited people in the UK who are happy to inconvenience themselves for the good of others

vickster

Legendary Member
Why? There are 1.5m on the shield list plus many more elderly and vulnerable who aren’t but are self isolating to protect themselves who may also need help.

The 250k (or quoted 500k) aren’t all going to be available 24/7, many (like myself) will also be working.

I expect many will not be called upon to do much at all.

Also, the number will be big as at any given time there’ll be those on the list who are unwell or self isolating themselves so they’ll have recruited a much bigger number for contingency.

Also not everyone will be able to do every task (eg if not DBS checked already, you can’t do patient transport, nor if you don’t have a car obviously)

Etc

(Cross posted with @nickyboy )

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm already a cat 2 responder and Lowland Rescue First Responder, as well as being still on call for SAR work the qualified first responders are being offered to the NHS for support. I'm just waiting to hear the mechanics of this, but I guess I'll be emergency first aid cover for the village if the wheel comes off.

Smudge

Veteran
Does anyone know anything about how these food parcels are supposed to work yet ?
I cant find out anything on the net about them, apart from sources saying they'll be available, and neither does the volunteer that phoned me.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My partner wanted to volunteer, to keep herself busy when she had no work on. She was ready to do it until i reminded her about her pre-existing chect problem (which she had forgotten about!). I said imagine if your chest played up again so you had trouble breathing and were in constant pain, and THEN you caught the virus on top of that. So she's thought it sensible not to volunteer now. It's good that so many people have come forward - as always in a crisis the good people tend to outnumber the scum

Top Bottom