NHS Volunteering..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Almost half the UK adult population have a criminal record or caution (you don't get a caution unless you've fully admitted the criminal act). Then theres the element who have been panic buying and resorting to low other low tactics - a minority perhaps, but a significant one. No way did a ti y minority strip the shelves bare.

That's criminal record, not motoring. I'm afraid your view of the great british public, while admirable, is misguided,
Half the population?
I know you have a background there but is that really the case?
Calling @Pale Rider for more input.
On the caution, i had the idea that a copper could announce a caution.
If one does to one, and one thinks one entirely innocent, what form of words should you use to make clear that you are not accepting a caution.
Serious reply to latter question only please :smile:
Ps - full declaration - to the best of my knowledge my only serious police interaction has been writing off a car in a collision with an unmarked police car.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
You're wrong about the average British citizen. We are a decent, honest, respectful country with a media that likes to highlight the tiny minority as clickbait to get folk like you going

250,000 people volunteered ON THE FIRST DAY ...that's the total target number

I've volunteered this morning
Nice work and that's heartening and encouraging news about the other volunteers :smile:

I'm not trying to say that everyone in the UK is a scumbag, but we do seem to lead Europe in terms of selfish and anti-social behaviour, low-level crime and general crappyness to each other.

There are essentially 4 roles, I signed up to all of them. If it's managed as well as it can be, like some kind of uber thing where you can log in and see what needs doing, that would be ideal and is what I'm hoping for. So if it says "48 paracetomol needs transporting from clinic to x address" I can do it by bike. Or if a patient needs taking home, do that in the car. But I really hope the bike can play a part.
Thanks - will be really interested to hear how you get on. If it's run as you suggest it might be it sounds quite feasible for those on bikes to pick and choose the jobs they're capable of doing :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Nice work and that's heartening and encouraging news about the other volunteers :smile:

I'm not trying to say that everyone in the UK is a scumbag, but we do seem to lead Europe in terms of selfish and anti-social behaviour, low-level crime and general crappyness to each other.

Thanks - will be really interested to hear how you get on. If it's run as you suggest it might be it sounds quite feasible for those on bikes to pick and choose the jobs they're capable of doing :smile:
On what basis have you deduced that - do you read all the papers including red tops from around Europe?
There's graffiti everywhere for example, drug use in all countries (esp deprived areas), theft, pickpocketing are rife in many tourist cities (much more than London I believe)

They ask if you have transport, which includes a push bike so presumably there will be tasks that can be done by pushbike not just motor vehicles

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Half the population?
I know you have a background there but is that really the case?
Calling @Pale Rider for more input.
On the caution, i had the idea that a copper could announce a caution.
If one does to one, and one thinks one entirely innocent, what form of words should you use to make clear that you are not accepting a caution.
Serious reply to latter question only please :smile:
Ps - full declaration - to the best of my knowledge my only serious police interaction has been writing off a car in a collision with an unmarked police car.

I'm not certain of the numbers, but I don't find @Drago's contention surprising enough to challenge it.

There was a case of a company who advertised a job as a security guard.

The job didn't involve much security, more opening and closing a gate at their factory, so they said it would suit a retired person.

The advert made a story because the company also said 'limited previous convictions acceptable'.

They had previously found that many of their target market - older people prepared to accept a mentally dull job and prepared to work for very little money - had a minor conviction or two.

A caution has to be accepted by the person to whom it is offered.

It is an acceptance of guilt, but there's no penalty.

This raises the difference in meaning of the two terms 'no previous convictions' and 'no criminal record', which are often used interchangeably, but should not be.

A caution is not a criminal conviction, but it does appear on the person's criminal record, sometimes called antecedents.

Thus a person who has a caution can honestly say they have no previous convictions, which may help them when applying for insurance and some jobs.

Hence the difference between enhanced and ordinary DBS - Disclosure and Barring Service - checks, which have replaced CRB - Criminal Records Bureau - checks.

The enhanced check, which includes cautions and spent convictions, is required for those applying for jobs working with children and vulnerable adults.

Another way to look at it is we don't all have previous criminal convictions, but we do all have a criminal record.

It's just there's nothing on your or my criminal record.

Some people have cautions but no criminal convictions on theirs, and more serious criminals have both.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
On what basis have you deduced that - do you read all the papers including red tops from around Europe?

They ask if you have transport, which includes a push bike so presumably there will be tasks that can be done by pushbike not just motor vehicles
My perception is from my own experiences (here and abroad), the experience of friends (again in the UK and abroad) and what I've read on the subject (although I hasten to add not in tabloids!).

These thoughts are in keeping with this study on the subject, found on the European Commission's website:

A survey of the opinions of 7,000 Europeans has found that the UK is perceived as having the biggest problem with anti-social behaviour in Europe by both its own citizens and the citizens of other European countries surveyed.

Although interestingly it also adds weight to your suggestion of citizens being biased towards thinking the situation is worse in their country than elsewhere.

Granted I've not lived abroad, but from visiting other EU countries (I love the Netherlands!) people seem more well-rounded, confident, comfortable with themselves and socially-responsible with a prevailing sense of everyone acting for the greater good rather than a US-style individualist attitude that promotes personal gain at the cost of others.

I think this is illustrated by attitudes to cycling / cyclists too. We all know how backward our national attitude is to cycling as we prioritise the individual "right" to comfort and convenience (for those who can afford cars) over the wider social, economic and environmental benefits of cheap, quiet, sustainable, pollution-free, health-promoting cycling.

Such attitudes are also widely reflected in public policy; provision, cost and quality of healthcare, education, transport etc. One that sticks in my mind is Norway's oil - they choose to invest the wealth from a natural resource into a trust fund (IIRC) to benefit their kids, while over here the drilling rights would be sold off to a private company for the benefit of their shareholders.

Anyway, I digress.. hopefully the NHS have some roles for bike-friendly volunteers!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Epic work - well done for stepping up :becool:

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on / what the job entails; have you signed up for one specific role or are you just taking what they offer?

Nice one :smile:

Excellent - sounds like just the sort of thing I'm after and fair play for doing something to help. Are you doing this as part of the NHS scheme or is it organised by another party?

A tiny minority true; but one that we as a country seem particularly adept at producing / fostering. It's not just such extreme example as this though; we seem to lead the world in many anti-social traits and lower-level scumbaggery while our society certainly seems a lot less cohesive, functional and progressive than many of those in Europe.

Will do - ta for the suggestion :smile:

Im doing this via the local pharmacy. In this last year I have had very interesting times. I’ve had to call on resources that I’d never hoped to use, so if I can give a little back it’s all good.

When I moved back to Devon the pharmacy asked if I knew about prepayment. I didn’t. They saved me over 100 quid.

I’m happy to help.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
405000 volunteers thus far
Looking forward to whizzing around Glossop delivering food and medicines on my bike. Not sure about giving discharged patients a backy home from the hospital though, may need the car for that
Don't think I'm ideal for the social chat with isolating individuals. Mrs N considers my conversations to be "direct bordering on abruptness"

My perception is from my own experiences (here and abroad), the experience of friends (again in the UK and abroad) and what I've read on the subject (although I hasten to add not in tabloids!).

These thoughts are in keeping with this study on the subject, found on the European Commission's website:

Although interestingly it also adds weight to your suggestion of citizens being biased towards thinking the situation is worse in their country than elsewhere.

Granted I've not lived abroad, but from visiting other EU countries (I love the Netherlands!) people seem more well-rounded, confident, comfortable with themselves and socially-responsible with a prevailing sense of everyone acting for the greater good rather than a US-style individualist attitude that promotes personal gain at the cost of others.

I think this is illustrated by attitudes to cycling / cyclists too. We all know how backward our national attitude is to cycling as we prioritise the individual "right" to comfort and convenience (for those who can afford cars) over the wider social, economic and environmental benefits of cheap, quiet, sustainable, pollution-free, health-promoting cycling.

Such attitudes are also widely reflected in public policy; provision, cost and quality of healthcare, education, transport etc. One that sticks in my mind is Norway's oil - they choose to invest the wealth from a natural resource into a trust fund (IIRC) to benefit their kids, while over here the drilling rights would be sold off to a private company for the benefit of their shareholders.

Anyway, I digress.. hopefully the NHS have some roles for bike-friendly volunteers!
All due respect wafter, i think that report twaddle for a variety of reasons.
Al! The best (not being sarky)

Top Bottom