NHS Volunteering..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Regarding the DBS and Safeguarding. There are plenty of organisations that can help out here. I would assume that most people already know someone who can sign off on the documentation side of things for DBS, as the actual category of people is pretty large. This can be done through a window without contact. In fact I believe that now photocopies are being accepted in some cases. For the safeguarding, there is a vast business of providing online safeguarding training, most of whom I am sure could be persuaded to open up for free, in addition there are other avenues that are already free such as the Scout Association.

DRM

Guru
Regarding the DBS and Safeguarding. There are plenty of organisations that can help out here. I would assume that most people already know someone who can sign off on the documentation side of things for DBS, as the actual category of people is pretty large. This can be done through a window without contact. In fact I believe that now photocopies are being accepted in some cases. For the safeguarding, there is a vast business of providing online safeguarding training, most of whom I am sure could be persuaded to open up for free, in addition there are other avenues that are already free such as the Scout Association.
It’s not getting the DBS forms in, it’s processing them where the problem will lay, as for safeguarding training, that offered by the scout association is very basic, I have done it, it will not prepare anyone for dealing with the chaotic violent lives that some people may well be coming into contact with, in some areas, not everyone is a lonely pensioner who is glad of seeing someone, even if it’s from 2 meters apart

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It’s not getting the DBS forms in, it’s processing them where the problem will lay, as for safeguarding training, that offered by the scout association is very basic, I have done it, it will not prepare anyone for dealing with the chaotic violent lives that some people may well be coming into contact with, in some areas, not everyone is a lonely pensioner who is glad of seeing someone, even if it’s from 2 meters apart
Agreed the scout training is very basic, but right now nothing will prepare people for what we are dealing with. All the advanced Safeguarding in the world won't help (I know as I have had to sit through it many times), however if it ticks a box and enables the volunteers I am all for it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
for dealing with the chaotic violent lives that some people may well be coming into contact with

That's true, as a decent person trying to help, you wouldn't want to be anywhere near or by such people.

I would hope a volunteer wouldn't be put into that contact.

Those on the enhanced shielding list are not what we could call 'criminally ill', although they might be tetchy and awkward to deal with caused by frustration at their circumstances.

A volunteer will surely not be sent to deliver the methadone script to the local recovering addict.

Tempted to sign up for this. Signed up with British Red Cross a number of days back but other than an email about Faretrade who aren’t round here, haven’t heard anything more.
Ditto. I think that was a bit of a red herring. I shall try the NHS and the local stuff; I think in these parts (no major urban areas) they are actually well-stocked for volunteers for now. Which is a nice problem!

Smudge

Veteran
I had someone call me from a local foodbank yesterday, saying there was a voucher there for me and someone would be delivering a food parcel.
I am not someone that needs a foodbank, this is for people that cannot afford food. I was under the impression that the government would be organising food for the 1.5 million people like myself that have to shield themselves totally. I've even read the army would be involved.
The food was delivered to me in two carrier bags. Now i dont like to complain about free food given to me, but it was just tins of cheap basic label stuff like beans, tinned chopped ham, tinned rice pudding. A pack of pasta. 1L carton of long life milk, Tinned soup, tin of tuna. Tinned carrots and mushy peas. One toilet roll.
No fruit or fresh veg, no fresh meat, no bread, no eggs, no fresh milk. I cant be expected to live on stuff like this for 12 weeks or longer.
There is a massive amount of decent and fresh food out there, i don't even want it for nothing, i'm more that happy to pay for it. I don't expect fois gras and fillet mignon, but if you aren't going to give me food that is healthy and nutritious, then i'm going to have to leave my house and get it myself.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had someone call me from a local foodbank yesterday, saying there was a voucher there for me and someone would be delivering a food parcel.
I am not someone that needs a foodbank, this is for people that cannot afford food. I was under the impression that the government would be organising food for the 1.5 million people like myself that have to shield themselves totally. I've even read the army would be involved.
The food was delivered to me in two carrier bags. Now i dont like to complain about free food given to me, but it was just tins of cheap basic label stuff like beans, tinned chopped ham, tinned rice pudding. A pack of pasta. 1L carton of long life milk, Tinned soup, tin of tuna. Tinned carrots and mushy peas. One toilet roll.
No fruit or fresh veg, no fresh meat, no bread, no eggs, no fresh milk. I cant be expected to live on stuff like this for 12 weeks or longer.
There is a massive amount of decent and fresh food out there, i don't even want it for nothing, i'm more that happy to pay for it. I don't expect fois gras and fillet mignon, but if you aren't going to give me food that is healthy and nutritious, then i'm going to have to leave my house and get it myself.
This is the first step. Reports have said that there will be an option to choose and pay going forwards and be delivered by NHS volunteers (still being vetted etc)

Is there anyone local who could shop for you in the meantime? is there a local FB page?
Maybe even someone on this forum who’s local?

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
This is the first step. Reports have said that there will be an option to choose and pay going forwards

Is there anyone local who could shop for you in the meantime? is there a local FB page?
Maybe even someone on this forum who’s local?

My family live too far away. Going to have to ask my volunteer to buy me stuff and i will insist she take my money for it. I dont like having her running around buying stuff for me, and putting herself at more risk of coming into contact with more & more people. It isn't fair to her.
My volunteer seems to be just as much in the dark about what is supposed to be happening as i am. Luckily i still have some food & meals frozen that i made myself before this shielding.
Hardly any of the stuff the foodbank gave me, do i want, or will i eat. So its just taking up room in my cupboards, room that could be used for food i would eat.
I'll put up with it till the middle of next week, if it isn't sorted by then, then i'm going out shopping myself and will just have to try to keep away from people as much as i can.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My partner wanted to volunteer, to keep herself busy when she had no work on. She was ready to do it until i reminded her about her pre-existing chect problem (which she had forgotten about!). I said imagine if your chest played up again so you had trouble breathing and were in constant pain, and THEN you caught the virus on top of that. So she's thought it sensible not to volunteer now. It's good that so many people have come forward - as always in a crisis the good people tend to outnumber the scum

My wife had a FaceTime interview yesterday and mentioned that I'm on the vulnerable list.
The interviewer said that they need people to offer advice and support over the phone, Internet etc.
Perhaps that would be an option?

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm still waiting to be cleared - told it would be 2-7 days and that no volunteering will be starting until after 31 March
Thanks - I guess you signed up to some of the more "close contact" options like patient transport..? I'm hoping / guessing that you don't any additional clearance simply to deliver stuff..?

I guess like a lot of people things are up in the air here; practicalities permitting I'd be very happy to be added to a pool of people who can step up to do the odd delivery job here and there when possible; don't want to waste more NHS time than I spend helping out though if there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

Tempted just to sign up tbh as I'm running out of stuff to occupy myself with, while the weather's looking good for the next week or so; meaning any excuse to get out would likely be welcome!

I did think about just asking at the local pharmacy (I figure this would be the role best suited to the bike as the packages are small) although suspect they might just point me in the direction of the main NHS signup..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've not had permission from work yet. We're all expected to work remotely, so not much time to give. I believe it's still being discussed as we will actually have staff volunteering into Medical roles (academics), never mind those of us wanting to help. How would it work say if you could deliver prescriptions or food for an hour a day, but not till the evening or indeed early morning.

Top Bottom