NHS Volunteering..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks - problem is it probably isn't anything like Scandanavia; do you have problems with people panic-buying, nicking hand sanitiser and masks from hospitals, drilling holes in ambulance tyres or throwing bricks at fire engines..?

I'm happy to assess on an individual basis but on the whole I don't have a very high opinion of the typical British citizen tbh :rolleyes:
The typical British citizen?? I think you’ll find that a criminal element that would do such things represent a tiny minority. Although they do make headlines for the outraged Daily Mail reader

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
They are looking for 250,000 volunteers. That figure alone tells the story of how serious this is.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks - salient points and hopefully if the uptake is likely to be as good as others are speculating, hopefully I won't be needed. Will perhaps re-visit the idea in a week or so depending on how the recruitment drive is going :smile:
Check your local council website, they may well have set up a local volunteering drive too (mine has)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I live on an island which is effectively closed off from the mainland so there are well defined boundaries. Many of the inhabitants are not what you would term local but have fully or partly retired from a variety of jobs including transport management and logistics. They are now wading in and getting organised to do deliveries and anything required in a professional manner. I cannot really join this being in a vulnerable group but there seems no lack of volunteers.
I get the impression that they are actually enjoying the challenge of getting organised. This is not a criticism by the way.

Skibird

We already had a "Nexdoor" group (set ups all over the UK I believe/you can set one up anywhere) set up in our village, which added a "volunteer to support" group a few days ago. What's really useful about it is, it has a map that anyone signed up to can see, which shows exactly (road/house) where the volunteer lives (showing me^_^). So far not a single person has required help, which I hope is a positive sign for our village.

If it is anything like Scandanavia, they will be flooded with offers of help.
Of course they will! And don't think we aren't grateful for you reminding us every 5minutes.

;)

But actually, I think there may be a surplus of people here (UK). I registered with red Cross many days ago (via a link on this forum?) - they've only just sent me a standard confirmation email! It doesn't read like they're desperate.

I've looked at the NHS page - it does read like they're mainly after drivers. Shame - I coujld probably move nearly anything on the bike+trailer, but fear that explaining this could be tiresome. And they might still allocate me some stuff that really DOES need a car 🤦

So I'm in wait mode on this. For now ...

Drago

Legendary Member
The typical British citizen?? I think you’ll find that a criminal element that would do such things represent a tiny minority. Although they do make headlines for the outraged Daily Mail reader
Almost half the UK adult population have a criminal record or caution (you don't get a caution unless you've fully admitted the criminal act). Then theres the element who have been panic buying and resorting to low other low tactics - a minority perhaps, but a significant one. No way did a ti y minority strip the shelves bare.

That's criminal record, not motoring. I'm afraid your view of the great british public, while admirable, is misguided,

vickster

Legendary Member
Of course they will! And don't think we aren't grateful for you reminding us every 5minutes.

;)

But actually, I think there may be a surplus of people here (UK). I registered with red Cross many days ago (via a link on this forum?) - they've only just sent me a standard confirmation email! It doesn't read like they're desperate.

I've looked at the NHS page - it does read like they're mainly after drivers. Shame - I coujld probably move nearly anything on the bike+trailer, but fear that explaining this could be tiresome. And they might still allocate me some stuff that really DOES need a car 🤦

So I'm in wait mode on this. For now ...
Check your local council website too - this for example is mine https://vcsutton.org.uk/volunteer/covid-19-registration-for-volu-2/
(I haven't yet volunteered as I'm still working but may well do)

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Epic work - well done for stepping up :becool:

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on / what the job entails; have you signed up for one specific role or are you just taking what they offer?
I'm in, along side a full time job as an "essential worker" I have an enhanced DBS through coaching so i've said i'll do whatever they need
Nice one :smile:

I delivered a couple of prescriptions to pensioners in the village this afternoon .
3.5 mile ride, 2 big hills.

I think I’ll get a call tomorrow too.

In the last year I’ve received a lot of help from people. It feels good to be able to pass it on.
Excellent - sounds like just the sort of thing I'm after and fair play for doing something to help. Are you doing this as part of the NHS scheme or is it organised by another party?

A tiny minority true; but one that we as a country seem particularly adept at producing / fostering. It's not just such extreme example as this though; we seem to lead the world in many anti-social traits and lower-level scumbaggery while our society certainly seems a lot less cohesive, functional and progressive than many of those in Europe.

Check your local council website, they may well have set up a local volunteering drive too (mine has)
Will do - ta for the suggestion :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on / what the job entails; have you signed up for one specific role or are you just taking what they offer?

Nice one :smile:

Excellent - sounds like just the sort of thing I'm after and fair play for doing something to help. Are you doing this as part of the NHS scheme or is it organised by another party?

A tiny minority true; but one that we as a country seem particularly adept at producing / fostering. It's not just such extreme example as this though; we seem to lead the world in many anti-social traits and our society certainly seems a lot less cohesive, functional and progressive than many of those in Europe.

Will do - ta for the suggestion :smile:
I was questioning your use of typical, tiny minority would be atypical :smile:

You get bad eggs in (almost) every country and a lot more in some.

I’m a half glass full kinda gal and at the moment trying to be even more so especially for friends who aren’t naturally so

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thanks - problem is it probably isn't anything like Scandanavia; do you have problems with people panic-buying, nicking hand sanitiser and masks from hospitals, drilling holes in ambulance tyres or throwing bricks at fire engines..?

I'm happy to assess on an individual basis but on the whole I don't have a very high opinion of the typical British citizen tbh :rolleyes:
You're wrong about the average British citizen. We are a decent, honest, respectful country with a media that likes to highlight the tiny minority as clickbait to get folk like you going

250,000 people volunteered ON THE FIRST DAY ...that's the total target number

I've volunteered this morning

Last edited:

dodgy

There are essentially 4 roles, I signed up to all of them. If it's managed as well as it can be, like some kind of uber thing where you can log in and see what needs doing, that would be ideal and is what I'm hoping for. So if it says "48 paracetomol needs transporting from clinic to x address" I can do it by bike. Or if a patient needs taking home, do that in the car. But I really hope the bike can play a part.

Last edited:
Top Bottom