NHS Volunteering..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I see the NHS are appealing for volunteers, noting that some roles involve transportation of shopping and prescriptions to people who are self-isolating as well as equipment between hospital sites.

In principal I like this idea and would like to help, but also have a lot of doubts / reservations. I can't really afford to keep chucking fuel in the car but wondered if this could be a great way for the cycling community to help out (and get an excuse to be out on the bike all day!).. that said the amount I can carry is limited to a 40-50L rucksack and I'm afraid that my limitations might make it all a bit of a waste of time compared to someone who can just fill their car up with 5 sets of shopping for different people and get done in one hour-long trip what it might 5 trips and a lot more time on the bike. Likewise with equipment - no good turning up on the bike with a rucksack only to discover you can't carry what's required.

I also have a high risk family member that I should of course prioritise over anyone else (and have fairly mild asthma myself), and wonder if it's unfair on them to expose myself to more risk in the form of multiple shop trips etc (although I could isolate from them)..

Finally I also don't have a smart phone (and my bike GPS requires plugging in and lots of buggering about to plot a route) so this might cause me to come unstuck.

The last thing I want to do is waste the NHS' precious time by pressing them for answers then bailing because I don't think I'm up to it, or worse committing to something I'm unable to actually achieve. Does anyone have any experience of this sort of work and could offer some guidance as to what's involved / what's expected of you / the time you're expected to contibute / urgency of deliveries etc..?

I have a romanticised idea of poncing round the city on the bike all day helping the needy, but am aware that the reality might be far from this ideal..

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If it is anything like Scandanavia, they will be flooded with offers of help.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

If it is anything like Scandanavia, they will be flooded with offers of help.
Thanks - problem is it probably isn't anything like Scandanavia; do you have problems with people panic-buying, nicking hand sanitiser and masks from hospitals, drilling holes in ambulance tyres or throwing bricks at fire engines..?

I'm happy to assess on an individual basis but on the whole I don't have a very high opinion of the typical British citizen tbh :rolleyes:

rivers

How far can I go?
Thanks - problem is it probably isn't anything like Scandanavia; do you have problems with people panic-buying, nicking hand sanitiser and masks from hospitals, drilling holes in ambulance tyres or throwing bricks at fire engines..?

I'm happy to assess on an individual basis but on the whole I don't have a very high opinion of the typical British citizen tbh :rolleyes:
don't forget setting fire to 2 Iceland delivery vans and launching missiles at police

The first I can understand, even if it is selfish and stupid, but what is damaging emergency vehicles supposed to achieve?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Brother has volunteered to help the elderly and vulnerable in his community, although it might not be for the NHS.

After going through a short application process he was told his details would be kept on file because they have been inundated by offers of help.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I see the NHS are appealing for volunteers, noting that some roles involve transportation of shopping and prescriptions to people who are self-isolating as well as equipment between hospital sites.

In principal I like this idea and would like to help, but also have a lot of doubts / reservations. I can't really afford to keep chucking fuel in the car but wondered if this could be a great way for the cycling community to help out (and get an excuse to be out on the bike all day!).. that said the amount I can carry is limited to a 40-50L rucksack and I'm afraid that my limitations might make it all a bit of a waste of time compared to someone who can just fill their car up with 5 sets of shopping for different people and get done in one hour-long trip what it might 5 trips and a lot more time on the bike. Likewise with equipment - no good turning up on the bike with a rucksack only to discover you can't carry what's required.

I also have a high risk family member that I should of course prioritise over anyone else (and have fairly mild asthma myself), and wonder if it's unfair on them to expose myself to more risk in the form of multiple shop trips etc (although I could isolate from them)..

Finally I also don't have a smart phone (and my bike GPS requires plugging in and lots of buggering about to plot a route) so this might cause me to come unstuck.

The last thing I want to do is waste the NHS' precious time by pressing them for answers then bailing because I don't think I'm up to it, or worse committing to something I'm unable to actually achieve. Does anyone have any experience of this sort of work and could offer some guidance as to what's involved / what's expected of you / the time you're expected to contibute / urgency of deliveries etc..?

I have a romanticised idea of poncing round the city on the bike all day helping the needy, but am aware that the reality might be far from this ideal..
I had thought the same but like you mini ck 1 has chronic kidney disease and mrs ck is a cancer survivor so i cant put myself in situations of exposure that can be avoided

The first I can understand, even if it is selfish and stupid, but what is damaging emergency vehicles supposed to achieve?
Moronic pond life.plain and simple.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

No not of that nonesense.

Shopping has been excellent since this started. The supermarkets are very quiet, shelves are full and there is more fresh produce then I have ever seen.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@wafter if you have a high risk family member living in your house you shouldn't consider doing this. If this person lives somewhere else you won't be seeing them anyway.

As regards what you could deliver I think you make it clear you can only carry small packages and delivering prescriptions would be ideal.

As for navigation, get a street map! It's unlikely you'll have a time schedule.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks guys :smile:

Absolutely; apparently just pure, conteptuous and irrational hate. No place for people like that in out society IMO, and plenty of room at the bottom of the north sea.

Brother has volunteered to help the elderly and vulnerable in his community, although it might not be for the NHS.

After going through a short application process he was told his details would be kept on file because they have been inundated by offers of help.
Fair play to your brother and it's heartening ho hear that they apparently have an overflow of people willing to help :smile:

With so many laid off at the moment awaitng the government cash, there should be no shortage of volunteers.
One would hope, but to many the sofa and daytime telly (or bricking emergency vehicles) is probably more appealing than contributing anything.

I had thought the same but like you mini ck 1 has chronic kidney disease and mrs ck is a cancer survivor so i cant put myself in situations of exposure that can be avoided
Yes, I think you'd be well advised to remain cautious given your circumstances!

No not of that nonesense.

Shopping has been excellent since this started. The supermarkets are very quiet, shelves are full and there is more fresh produce then I have ever seen.
Nice.. I'd very much like to live in your part of the world!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

@wafter if you have a high risk family member living in your house you shouldn't consider doing this. If this person lives somewhere else you won't be seeing them anyway.

As regards what you could deliver I think you make it clear you can only carry small packages and delivering prescriptions would be ideal.

As for navigation, get a street map! It's unlikely you'll have a time schedule.
Thanks - salient points and hopefully if the uptake is likely to be as good as others are speculating, hopefully I won't be needed. Will perhaps re-visit the idea in a week or so depending on how the recruitment drive is going :smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Would volunteers need a DBS search done to show that they're 'safe' to be alongside potentially vulnerable folk?

Top Bottom