Nibala goes after A.S.O for compensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'll be surprised if they actually go ahead with it, rather than just talking. I guess ASO didn't make a nice enough offer yet behind the mirrors. It seems like a tough case to prove, as there's a strong argument that teams should know that avoiding the fans has always been part of the Tour (sadly), which is possibly stronger than the race's duty of care to Nibali after he crashed - is it reasonable to expect some official or police to get there quick enough to stop a misguided fan trying to pick an injured rider up?

Terrible reporting from CW, though: "his pre-season build included winning the 2018 Milan-San Remo"... I'm pretty sure MSR is two months into the World Tour season these days!

I can't see him being successful and in a way I hope he isn't. That said, perhaps the organisers need to think more about how they protect the riders without losing the spectacle.

It's almost as if he didn't know it was dangerous to do things like hanging onto the side of a car and travel at speed through the peloton to gain advantage. That could have broke his neck. Where's his lawsuit for that?

mjr

I can't see him being successful and in a way I hope he isn't. That said, perhaps the organisers need to think more about how they protect the riders without losing the spectacle.
Perhaps they do, but I suspect now they'll be thinking more about how to design a course that Nibali can't win on.

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
I don't understand how he can think that the blame lies with the A.S.O. when a spectator picked him up , ok he says that section should have been barrired off, but where do you draw the line they cant barrier the entire stage, even if it was possible, that wouldn't stop spectators leaning over with phones/cameras and flags etc.
I think Nibali is being a nob

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is am issue with him being yanked up from the floor. I know if that had happened to me I would have been in a wheelchair. I was lucky I knew something was bad, due to the pain and no one tried to get me up

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
There is am issue with him being yanked up from the floor. I know if that had happened to me I would have been in a wheelchair. I was lucky I knew something was bad, due to the pain and no one tried to get me up

I understand the issue is with a spectator pulling him up from the floor, but I cant understand how he blames A.S.O for the actions of a spectator,

mjr

I understand the issue is with a spectator pulling him up from the floor, but I cant understand how he blames A.S.O for the actions of a spectator,
If the barrier had been enforced, the fan wouldn't have been able to pull him. Where he crashed appears to be barriered, but fans weren't being kept behind them, which suggests ASO hadn't got enough marshals or police to secure a stretch that they knew was dodgy.

Not saying that I agree, but it's not a ridiculous accusation.

Top Bottom