Nice and bad drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Another incident on my commute a couple of weeks ago.
Despite the reduced speed limit (30 km/h due to roadwork), the driver has nothing on his mind except from overtaking this bloody cyclist (me). He obviously completely ignores the kids that are about to cross at the pedestrian crossing.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jixGPDJvjis

Wow, what a couple of horrible cock hitlers!

Having said that, you did indicate that you were moving into the lane, right?

OP
OP
P_Dalen

P_Dalen

Well, I didn't move into the lane. I used the lane all the time, since the cycle lane was closed due to construction work. I could have kept right in the bus stop to let him overtake there, but this would be a very bad idea since the kids were about to cross at the pedestrian crossing straight ahead.

At 0:29, you see the car in the lower left corner of the camera's view. It is really close at this moment. Actually he tries to overtake about 5 meters or so in front of the center divider.

OP
OP
P_Dalen

P_Dalen

When road workers have finished their job, it is pretty convenient just to take down the provisional road signs (indicating roadwork and reduced speed) and leave them in the middle of the cycle lane as hazardous obstructions to cyclists.

I wonder if such ignorant behaviour would have been acceptable on a highway meant for cars?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Y1q0o-LbO94

OP
OP
P_Dalen

P_Dalen

Greetings from Oslo - a close overtake this afternoon (I have seen it worse, but it was still ruthless).

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dZtCXzDnRM

When I came home, I called the owner, who admitted that he was also the driver. I presented myself and asked - politely - if he had a comment to his close overtake. He hadn't. I think he was quite embarrassed.

I believe it's a good idea to let such people know that they are actually observed and identified.

Jezston

Über Member
Rollerskier?!? Good grief, whatever next! There'll be people riding bicycles where they lie down on their backs if this sort of thing is allowed to continue.

Stephenite

Membå
What route do you take Herre Dalen?

I saw a couple of these videos on the terrengsykkel forum. Didn't you report to the police the incident of the video involving the kids crossing? And, if so, what's happened?

The nice bus driver video reminds me of an incident i had about a year ago - January/February 2010. I was in the centre of Oslo on Storgata, and had stopped at the traffic lights Vis større kart. The lights changed to green and i set off. A long, bendy bus overtook me immediately and began to pull in to the bus-stop at Brugata. I had to emergency stop to avoid being squashed between the bus and the railings (gjerde). I have to admit i lost my temper, and gave the driver a stern talking to. I threatened to report him but didn't. Anyway, since then the encounters i've had with busses in Oslo have been positive.

I often commute from Lambertseter to Langhus. Not so much recently i have to add because of reasons i won't bore you with just now. There is another forum member that lives in Oslo, Dayvo. Maybe we can set up our own FNRttC?

OP
OP
P_Dalen

P_Dalen

My daily route is between central Oslo and Grefsen/Kjelsås.

No, I didn't report anything to the police. People around me (including my wife) suggest that I have become a little nuts with this camera recording, calling up drivers etc., so I am reluctant to spending afternoons at the police station waiting for making statements! But in a really grave situation I will probably do that.

I have indeed had a couple of bad experiences with those banana buses. I was squeezed once this winter in Geitmyrsveien. I hammered the driver's window at the next red light, but so what? That's when I decided to buy the helmetcam.

I have never made any complaints to the bus company, but I sent an e-mail with a link to the "considerate bus driver" clip to the manager and asked him to convey my thanks! (hidden motive: I hope this may strengthen my position if I'll have to complain later!)

OP
OP
P_Dalen

P_Dalen

When I came home with today's helmetcam catch, I looked up the name of the car owner, found her e-mail address and sent this mail (translated from Norwegian):

Dear (name),

Your car was observed in Nordberg Road today, when the driver made a very close and dangerous overtake of a cyclist (the undersigned).

I suppose that the car was lent to a person without a driving licence, or maybe the driver was under the influence of alcohol? I will inform you about this incidence so that you may yourself admonish the driver.

You may watch the overtake here:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=M2IsbOnvV6o

Best regards,
(name and telephone number)

Bottom Bracket

Many road users react with horror to the behaviour of other road users, but how often do they ask themselves whether they themselves have ever done something very similar? Something which seems entirely reasonable to the perpetrator, may very well appear horrific to the onlooker

Chasing a car whilst riding a bike, whilst concentrating on trying to get a useful cam-recording, seems to me an example of highly risky road-use, but if I was doing it myself, I dare say it would seem perfectly OK

Bottom Bracket

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Chasing a car whilst riding a bike, whilst concentrating on trying to get a useful cam-recording, seems to me an example of highly risky road-use, but if I was doing it myself, I dare say it would seem perfectly OK

That old saw again? How much concentration do you think it takes when one switches the cameras on at the start of every journey, and off at the end?

Bottom Bracket

That old saw again? How much concentration do you think it takes when one switches the cameras on at the start of every journey, and off at the end?

I am disappointed by your meaningless question - the switching on and the switching off take place in the privacy of your own home, the hunt for pictures of offending motorists takes place on the public highway

BB

Top Bottom