Nice and bad drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You're assuming there's "hunting" for errant motorists? I reckon I pay about as much attention to the multiple camera setup as I do to the CCTV on a train carriage. That seems about the same for most other youtubing channels I've seen.

Bottom Bracket

You're assuming there's "hunting" for errant motorists? I reckon I pay about as much attention to the multiple camera setup as I do to the CCTV on a train carriage. That seems about the same for most other youtubing channels I've seen.

The OP is clearly 'hunting' for useful pictures throughout every bike ride!

I'm sorry, but I have recently bought a bike after a 10-year gap in my cycling life. The idea of cyclists feeling the need to cam-record their every trip seems to me just weird

Whatever the Highway Code might say, when it comes to a heirarchy of road-users, cyclists are at the bottom of the pecking order, alongside skaters, wheelchair-users and drunks

I am perfectly happy to accept my lowly position

BB

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
...and yet there are thousands of us who do use cameras, day in and day out. It's because of the very few bad motons out there who behave badly towards cyclists. Why should we accept careless cagers risking our lives or behaving like bullies towards us? Why shouldn't we choose to bring consequences to them and force them to learn?

I think you're leaping to conclusions about camera users, and quite wrongly.

OP
OP
P_Dalen

P_Dalen

The OP is clearly 'hunting' for useful pictures throughout every bike ride!

I'm sorry, but I have recently bought a bike after a 10-year gap in my cycling life. The idea of cyclists feeling the need to cam-record their every trip seems to me just weird

Whatever the Highway Code might say, when it comes to a heirarchy of road-users, cyclists are at the bottom of the pecking order, alongside skaters, wheelchair-users and drunks

I am perfectly happy to accept my lowly position

BB
It is certainly not necessary to 'hunt' for anything. I just start the camera at the beginning of the ride and stop it when I am finished. Most days I simply delete the files, since nothing particular happened.

I have no other intention than documenting everyday events from a bicycle commuter's point of view. If you look at my youtube channel, you will also see situations where I thank motorists for good driving.

If you think I'm weird, I am completely relaxed. I have been commuting summer and winter for many years, and the situation has become worse than before. Something has to be done, and the authorities apparently don't care. So we have to help ourselves.

You are possibly right that cyclists are at the bottom of the traffic hierarchy. Some bad drivers have found that they may treat cyclists badly without taking any risk. Maybe these drivers will have to reconsider their behaviour when they know that their driving is actually observed and may be published?

Bottom Bracket

...and yet there are thousands of us who do use cameras, day in and day out. It's because of the very few bad motons out there who behave badly towards cyclists. Why should we accept careless cagers risking our lives or behaving like bullies towards us? Why shouldn't we choose to bring consequences to them and force them to learn?

The conclusion I came to, many years ago, is that it is unrealistic to expect cyclists to be able to use the road on equal terms with motorists

BB

Bottom Bracket

That's rather avoiding my points.

It ain't the 'Careless Cagers' who risk cyclists' lives, it's the cyclists themselves

And you really have to give up the polite idea that it is 'only a minority' of motorists who do not recognise the 'rights' of the cyclist...

We are all entitled to enjoy the 'buzz' of cycling in traffic, just as I am entitled to enjoy the challenge of driving an artic across Central London, but it is a delusion to expect that motorists will willingly give cyclists any kind of priority - be honest now, if car drivers suddenly began to stop for you and wave you across in front of them, you'd think the world had turned upside down, and half of your town-riding pleasure would be gone!

BB

david1701

It ain't the 'Careless Cagers' who risk cyclists' lives, it's the cyclists themselves

And you really have to give up the polite idea that it is 'only a minority' of motorists who do not recognise the 'rights' of the cyclist...

We are all entitled to enjoy the 'buzz' of cycling in traffic, just as I am entitled to enjoy the challenge of driving an artic across Central London, but it is a delusion to expect that motorists will willingly give cyclists any kind of priority - be honest now, if car drivers suddenly began to stop for you and wave you across in front of them, you'd think the world had turned upside down, and half of your town-riding pleasure would be gone!

BB

in a non harsh way, you mention that you're newly returning to cycling after an extended break but you're critising the actions of experienced commuters who are commuting and have been for an extended period of time? I follow most of these discussions from an outside point of view as I live in the country near a quiet town but know I will eventually need to do some city riding if I want to tour.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member

BB

Are you serious? :ohmy:

Cyclists have as much right to use the roads as motorists, both in the UK and in other countries (such as mine), so you couldn't be more wrong in claiming that we're responsible for the arrogant, dangerous actions of motorists who hold prejudices against cyclists.

Furthermore, if all motorists suddenly began treating me with due consideration (not that I'm expecting that to occur any time soon), my cycling pleasure would increase not vanish, as I enjoy cycling regardless of what idiots on the roads attempt to spoil it for me.

Also, I totally agree with BentMikey regarding the use of cameras; I started daily use of a helmet-camera a few months ago, and believe it was the right thing to do, and have made it a normal, everyday part of my commute.

Bman

Guru

BB

You're right with the cycling entitlement, but not the driving. You have to be licensed to drive an artic across London (you also need a permit). That is not an entitlement.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf

...and yet that's not matched by reality in the real world. Of the subset of collisions between motor vehicles and cyclists, most are the fault of the motor vehicle driver.

Polite idea? It's the reality, most drivers are pretty decent towards cyclists. A few don't understand needs of cyclists when interacting with them in traffic, but have no bad intentions. A tiny few of that few are actively careless and have bad intentions towards cyclists. I reckon I get annoyed with only around 1 in 5000 driver interactions, which is very pleasing to discover.

BB

We all depend on other road users to follow the highway code and give priority when they are supposed to. Vehicular cycling, and even those who are more submissive, depend on other traffic to give way at side roads on almost every journey, for example.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

+1
It was recently on the news about how the use of a camera has helped in the prosecution of dangerous drivers and has been used as a reliable independent witness as the police can use the camera footage as evidence, i do not think anyone who spends the time needed to buy,set up, charge, download nad publish the footage goes out to video hunt.
You should of course cycle so you can try to anticipate and avoid dangerous situations but we have the same right to use the roads as any other vehicle and anyone who tells you different should be given the facts.

Bottom Bracket

The motorist v cyclist debate is similar to the battle of the sexes - lives are at risk, and it will continue for ever. Long may it continue to entertain!

BB

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I had an entertaining thought last night on my commute, which was that your looking for "battles" and hunting for video footage comments is much more about your own views on riding in traffic. Quite telling, really. :biggrin:

Top Bottom