Nice Face, Shame About The Legs

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Smokin Joe, 19 Jul 2017.

1. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

2. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

Yes, saw that too. Apparently its because the blood stays in the legs during contiuous strenuous stages and pools in the veins. To be able to endure that shows how super fit these guys are.

3. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Try George Hincapie's.

upload_2017-7-19_16-20-20.jpeg upload_2017-7-19_16-20-51.jpeg

His right leg is normal, though.

4. Sean Yates used to have fairly obtrusive veins too

5. themosquitoking

themosquitoking Veteran

Bollocks to that. I am officially retiring from all professional competition.

rich p and Beebo like this.
  6. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

Those are varicose veins.
    They form when the valves in your veins stop working properly.

7. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

My left leg has that problem now as collateral damage from my DVT buggered up the valves. I get the swollen leg too. The only thing that stops my leg looking quite as bad as the above examples is that I have much more body fat covering up the bulging veins.

8. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

I had my varicose veins glued shut in my 20's. I was born with a faulty vein and it hasn't bothered me since but used to ache if I stood for lengthy periods

9. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

I have just read about the various treatments for varicose veins, including that one - ugh! Quite a few of them seem to increase the risk of DVT so I think I will put up with my leg the way it is, unless it gets significantly worse.

Beebo likes this.
  10. Mike_P

Mike_P Über Member

Decided I needed to do something about the VVs; saw a BUPA surgeon who was actually surprised I was not having difficulty walking. They no longer cut near the groin but lower down the thigh - seal the vein above and then cut out that below. Op is scheduled for June 7 so it looks like another largely cycle free summer after the broken collar bone last year.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2018
    Beebo likes this.
  11. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

Wish you well with the op @Mike_P . Never had any probs myself but did suffer piles when younger, sorted with a diet change.

Mike_P likes this.
  12. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

I had a toothache once.

Beebo, Bollo, Cycleops and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice