Nice Face, Shame About The Legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, saw that too. Apparently its because the blood stays in the legs during contiuous strenuous stages and pools in the veins. To be able to endure that shows how super fit these guys are.

Try George Hincapie's.

upload_2017-7-19_16-20-20.jpeg
upload_2017-7-19_16-20-51.jpeg

His right leg is normal, though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Those are varicose veins.
They form when the valves in your veins stop working properly.
My left leg has that problem now as collateral damage from my DVT buggered up the valves. I get the swollen leg too. The only thing that stops my leg looking quite as bad as the above examples is that I have much more body fat covering up the bulging veins.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My left leg has that problem now as collateral damage from my DVT buggered up the valves. I get the swollen leg too. The only thing that stops my leg looking quite as bad as the above examples is that I have much more body fat covering up the bulging veins.
I had my varicose veins glued shut in my 20's. I was born with a faulty vein and it hasn't bothered me since but used to ache if I stood for lengthy periods

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had my varicose veins glued shut in my 20's. I was born with a faulty vein and it hasn't bothered me since but used to ache if I stood for lengthy periods
I have just read about the various treatments for varicose veins, including that one - ugh! Quite a few of them seem to increase the risk of DVT so I think I will put up with my leg the way it is, unless it gets significantly worse.

Mike_P

Guru
Decided I needed to do something about the VVs; saw a BUPA surgeon who was actually surprised I was not having difficulty walking. They no longer cut near the groin but lower down the thigh - seal the vein above and then cut out that below. Op is scheduled for June 7 so it looks like another largely cycle free summer after the broken collar bone last year.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Op seems to have gone okay = in bandaging till Thursday next then compression stockings to a week on Sunday thereafter. Surgeon said I could cycle after two weeks but think I best wait for the stockings to come off at least - think the legs will be an even less pretty sight than the vvs were for a while so have ordered a pair of Castelli UPF 50+ Light Leg Skins and hoping we have had the heat wave already:excl:

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Annoyingly one of the wounds "overhealed" as a tag of not well healed skin :angry: so :bicycle:has not occurred.
Just been to the Hospital and had it removed only to be given an advice note to avoid strenuous activity for 4 weeks:sad:
So it looks like no :bicycle:until after the August Bank Holiday when no doubt it will be :rain::cold:

Top Bottom