Night Clubs you frequented in your youth...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Gullivers, Grimsby
Le Phonographiquie, Leeds

Gullys was Grimsby's only club you could get in without dresser clothes on, 20yrs since I last went there, think they clinentelle still the same, but 20yrs older. The Phono was a funny place under the shopping centre.

Prefered pubs tho, can talk and get drunk in peace.

Sig SilverPrinter

The Rezz-Romford
Pink Toothebrush-Rayleigh
The Monkey House@Pigeons-Stratford
Kings-Seven Kings
The Island -Ilford
various other nights at venues up the Romford road which would last a couple of weeks then get shut down
Hollywoods-Romford on a monday night-rock night
Club X -LA2

Just thought some of them weren't in my yoof as I was still going to clubs when I was quite old:blush:

Fab Foodie said:
Just ruminating with delzeqq about nightclubs...

Where did you think was cool in your yoof?

Mine...

Late 70's Early 80's mind-you, Timepiece, Boxes, (Occasionally The Key Club... fights Galore!) in Exeter.
Cinderella's Purley (and Streatham... or was it Ritzy or the Cat's Whiskers?) and somewhere in Redhill.
Camden Palais.

Now we have "Stickys" in Abingdon (short for sticky carpets) or properly known as Strattons. I've not been but the stories are legion.... I'm getting too old!

They're still there! Or were in 2001. Pretty good mix of different music, plus Boxes did an regular Wednesday night 80s thing, probably playing the same records you hear back then!

Otherwise:

DeNiros, Newmarket (carpet had Bob DeNiro's face in a repeated orange pattern) - still there
Pacinos - next door
The White House, Newmarket - closed down after one too many unreported stabbings ;)
Fifth Avenue, Cambridge (Filth)
The one behind Woolworths that kept changing its name
Coco's, Cambridge
Metro's, Cardiff (bit Goth)

Not really into clubbing though so probably only went to most of these twice each.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Started out at The Krazy House (fka Sloanes) in Liverpool. The local rock club, bottle of cheap cider before getting the bus into town, then into a world of black and purple decor and hideously patterned carpets made up of equal parts artificial fibres, cider + black and vomit.
First went when I was 16, never got ID'd until I'd turned 18:wacko:;). Anyone who was under-age just went round the block to the (strictly speaking over-18s) 147 snooker club and got one of their membership cards, which the bouncers at the K would quite happily accept as proof of ID. We all put false names on the ID, mine was Taj Mihelich (the BMXer).
Joys of The K included all drinks being 2-for-1 (including bottles of Mad Dog 20/20:ohmy:xx().

Other haunts included The Mardi Gras, still black decor and cheap booze, but with more of an indie/60s music slant. Met my biology teacher there once, he agreed not to mention my age to the bar staff, and I promised not to hassle him for the evening!:smile:

Then to Sheffield for Uni, and graduation to the joys of Corporation. Another rock club all clothed in black, replete with sticky carpets, but all the more surreal due to the presence of sphinxes, pyramids and busts of King Tut, all courtesy of the venue's previous incarnation as Cairo Jack's.
Added bonus was the installation of a skate-ramp. Landslide + skate-ramp = :wacko:, + booze = badly sprained ankle:cry: Thankfully I was pished enough that it didn't properly hurt until the morning after...

U

User482

longers said:
The Sugarhouse in Lancaster. We used to have to stand outside begging the Uni students to sign us in.

Then the Pelican in Aberdeen - "Nae Taches"

Speaking as an ex-Lancaster student, I always thought the local population's attempt to get into the shagger was desperately sad, until I sampled the other nightclubs in the area. Then I saw their point!

barq

I used to go to The W.O.K Club which was Friday nights at Bojangles in Guildford. The place was a tip, but they had reasonable sound and lighting and good DJs so that was pretty formative for me.

Cranky said:
Early 80s, the Holy City Zoo, Birmingham. It was under the railway arches near Snow Hill station (which was then a car park). A definite New Romantic slant to the clientele but I really liked the laid back vibe. The different rooms were called things like 'The Mars Bar', 'The Zanzibar' etc. I saw ABC do a gig there just before they cracked the charts, and also Eurythmics, I think. Good days. ;)

I wonder if that was what later became Subway City? It was quite an atmospheric labyrinth of different rooms. It did predominantly gay nights, but some were more mixed. I DJed there a couple of times about seven or eight years ago.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
camden palace, wag club, one in paddington, under a hotel on praed streeet (morgans??), dingwalls, 101 club (but we're straying into gig territory now...)

longers

Legendary Member
User482 said:
Speaking as an ex-Lancaster student, I always thought the local population's attempt to get into the shagger was desperately sad, until I sampled the other nightclubs in the area. Then I saw their point!

:smile: It was better than the rest by quite a margin.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Morrisette said:
They're still there! Or were in 2001. Pretty good mix of different music, plus Boxes did an regular Wednesday night 80s thing, probably playing the same records you hear back then!

Was in Crediton over new-Year, apparently Timepiece is the in-place these days. Same guy owns it apparently.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
So many of those listed are long gone
Hollywoods, Romford - Flats
Bentleys, Brentwood - Flats
Cooks Ferry Inn, Walthamstow/Tottenham - Flyover
Bridge Tavern, Canning Town - Flyover

Royal Standard, Walthamstow - still there. My father went there to disconnect their meter as the landlord was fiddling the electric. A braver man than me.

Greedo

Park Lane - Hamilton - now gone
Rococco Club - Hamilton - now gone
Gloss - Hamilton - Now The Palace

Then when I got a bit trendier and older :smile:

Rhapsody - Glasgow
Sub Club - Glasgow
Fury Murrys - Glasgow
Henry Afrikas - Glasgow
The Arches - Glasgow
The Garage - Glasgow
The Art School - Glasgow
Cleopatras (clattie pats) - Glasgow
Strathclyde Uni - Glasgow
Bonkers - Glasgow
The Savoy - Glasgow (only once though I must stress)
Archaos - Glasgow

All very different places. Some frequented far more than others. There were others but can't remember the names

Barq I think you might be right about subway city. I used to go there int he mid 90s, not to gay night (which was a Friday) but to the House of God, which was there on a Saturday night for a short period of time.

I was very into clubbing for a couple of years on the Birmingham dance scene which used to be really big. There was...

House of God (Dance Factory then subway city)
Ultimate Orange (Que club)
Atomic Jam (Que club)
Oscillate (Dance factory and que club)
Spacehopper (Que club)
Third Eye (Que club)

Before that there was an industrial/goth club which used to be called Death Culture, then became Contamination, which was good fun.

That's about all I can remember...

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just recalled 2 more...

One that I visited once was a Gay-Club in Clapham (N. Commonside) below a pub called the 2 Brewers... that was an interesting experience for a young guy dressed in his cycling trackies!
There were 2 in Helsingborg 3when I lived there, one under the Marina Plaza Hotel and the Black-cat 3-floored disco and Piano bar. I once visited a Tango club in Northern Finland, very bizarre!
I also used to travel to Chicago a lot, and often wound-up in a club called Excaliber on Clarke, really good vibe in there.

Top Bottom