Night Clubs you frequented in your youth...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The Babe was a clubber of some distinction. Always getting in to fights. Me, I was away as soon as I could get the dough together, so my clubbing was pretty much confined to the Sunset Strip. In that forgotten time zone known as 'soft rock'. You missed nothing....

Dave5N

Über Member
Kirstie said:
Barq I think you might be right about subway city. I used to go there int he mid 90s, not to gay night (which was a Friday) but to the House of God, which was there on a Saturday night for a short period of time.

I was very into clubbing for a couple of years on the Birmingham dance scene which used to be really big. There was...

House of God (Dance Factory then subway city)
Ultimate Orange (Que club)
Atomic Jam (Que club)
Oscillate (Dance factory and que club)
Spacehopper (Que club)
Third Eye (Que club)

Before that there was an industrial/goth club which used to be called Death Culture, then became Contamination, which was good fun.

That's about all I can remember...

Kirstie, you forgot the coolest ones - Crunch, Wobble, Sundissential

Then there was Circo - not a club - but a good place to be, there was also Dusk till Dawn...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Cheese:
New York New York - Southampton
IKON/DIVA - Southampton
The Academy - Southampton

Proper:
Jolly's (aka the Purple Penguin) - Southampton
Rhinos - Southampton
The Oprah House - Boscombe (Bournemouth)
Camden Palace - London Town

The mid/late 90's on the South Coast... Happy Days indeed :biggrin:

Greedo said:
Rhapsody - Glasgow
Sub Club - Glasgow
Fury Murrys - Glasgow
Henry Afrikas - Glasgow
Strathclyde Uni - Glasgow
Bonkers - Glasgow

More happy memories;) I remember going to a Southern Comfort promotion night at Strathclyde Uni. I think it was a £1 a time, I was very ill the next day and I haven't drunk Southern Comfort since despite this incident being over 20 years ago

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
zimzum42 said:
OK, the fridge is better known, but the others are way too druggy for all the lentil powered pootlers that post here

That´s what you think. Of course I knew the Coven (and most of the other venues in the city - I even had a go at promoting some gigs and club nights (it was a miserable failure) - and the Oxford scene was pretty much powered on lentils, you would probably have to try very hard to find a more obvious bunch of hippies. Sorry to disappoint you! ;)

Like Kirstie I occasionally used to frequent the House of God in Brum, although techno and gabba were not really my scene. My favourite clubs ever were (I am sorry to say) Club Dog (late Mega Dog), various events at the various squats that made up Cool Tan in Brixton, and (much less sorry to admit!) Jah Shaka´s nights at The Rocket. Awesome.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
That´s what you think. Of course I knew the Coven (and most of the other venues in the city - I even had a go at promoting some gigs and club nights (it was a miserable failure) - and the Oxford scene was pretty much powered on lentils, you would probably have to try very hard to find a more obvious bunch of hippies. Sorry to disappoint you! ;)

Like Kirstie I occasionally used to frequent the House of God in Brum, although techno and gabba were not really my scene. My favourite clubs ever were (I am sorry to say) Club Dog (late Mega Dog), various events at the various squats that made up Cool Tan in Brixton, and (much less sorry to admit!) Jah Shaka´s nights at The Rocket. Awesome.
As ever, lighten up! only having a giggle.

Starting to wonder if I recognize you for a reason what with some of the venues you frequent. If you start mentioning the SOAS bar (interestingly Nirvana's first UK gig was there, and it was also the old venue for Aba Shanti-I and Jah Shaka) I'll get really worried....

iGaz

Abitrary said:
Probably the best name for a nightclub I've ever heard.

And probably the best nightclub I ever went to as well! Best thing is, it's still going!!!! Bet it's still playing RamJam as well,,,,,,

Dave5N said:
Kirstie, you forgot the coolest ones - Crunch, Wobble, Sundissential

Then there was Circo - not a club - but a good place to be, there was also Dusk till Dawn...

They were the house clubs. Definitely NOT cool if you were a techno kid like me. No no no no no. Full of cocaine fuelled posers.

I've had a few good nights on the vodka in Circo, don't remember dusk till dawn. To my mind that's an over night mountain bike race in Thetford Forest every october..

Top Bottom