Night Clubs you frequented in your youth...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just ruminating with delzeqq about nightclubs...

Where did you think was cool in your yoof?

Mine...

Late 70's Early 80's mind-you, Timepiece, Boxes, (Occasionally The Key Club... fights Galore!) in Exeter.
Cinderella's Purley (and Streatham... or was it Ritzy or the Cat's Whiskers?) and somewhere in Redhill.
Camden Palais.

Now we have "Stickys" in Abingdon (short for sticky carpets) or properly known as Strattons. I've not been but the stories are legion.... I'm getting too old!

As a student in Birmingham - The Institute, The Dome (had a dome above the dancefloor bizarrely), Edwards No8 (for a bit of rock) and The Hummingbird.

As a student in Manchester, The Ritz (grab a granny night on Wednesdays) and goth night on Fridays(?), 42nd Street, and a place off Princess Street that was run by Greeks and the name escapes me. Was popular with nurses though.:biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Clarenden Hammersmith
Dolphin Kingston
Crown Morden
Red Lion Brentford
Royal Standard Walthamstow
Ruskin Arms West Ham

Heavy Metal clubs one and all...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Cinderellas in Purley, caught the tail end of that, one in West Croydon I can't remember name of. Then there was a big new multi bar/club complex opened at the end of the Whitgift Centre, the West Croydon Station side. There was the one near Surrey Street Market that was the alternative 'Swamp Club' on a Thursday night. Then it got its' own venue up on the main road, went to that one a lot, then I moved up to London. Too many to mention in London, but certainly did Camden Palais, The Electric Ballroom and The Mean Fiddler quite a bit.

All this was from about 1983 to 1990

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

ianrauk said:
Clarenden Hammersmith
Dolphin Kingston
Crown Morden
Red Lion Brentford
Ruskin Arms West Ham

Blimey, I never knew there was a night-club in Morden!

Cranky

Early 80s, the Holy City Zoo, Birmingham. It was under the railway arches near Snow Hill station (which was then a car park). A definite New Romantic slant to the clientele but I really liked the laid back vibe. The different rooms were called things like 'The Mars Bar', 'The Zanzibar' etc. I saw ABC do a gig there just before they cracked the charts, and also Eurythmics, I think. Good days. :becool:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

MacBludgeon said:
Cinderellas in Purley, caught the tail end of that, one in West Croydon I can't remember name of. Then there was a big new multi bar/club complex opened at the end of the Whitgift Centre, the West Croydon Station side. There was the one near Surrey Street Market that was the alternative 'Swamp Club' on a Thursday night.
All this was from about 1983 to 1990

Same time as me for Cinders Purley et al. Wasn't it the Wild Orchid and the Water-town in Croydon?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
ianrauk said:
Clarenden Hammersmith
Dolphin Kingston
Crown Morden
Red Lion Brentford
Ruskin Arms West Ham

Ruskin Arms East Ham, young man!

Mine were

Room at The Top, Ilford
Ilford Palais
Growling Budgie, Ilford (the best)
Snobs, Stratford
Princess Allice, Forest Gate
Shandon, Romford

And various Irish clubs throughout London.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Fab Foodie said:
Same time as me for Cinders Purley et al. Wasn't it the Wild Orchid and the Water-town in Croydon?

Water Town rings a bell, there was another one in East Croydon, which escapes me now(think you passed it if you went on the 197 bus), but I began my love affair with Kebabs outside it:biggrin: Used to get the bus to go swimming at West Wickham?? also used to go to Streatham Ice Rink. Jeez you're taking me back now, haven't been in that neck of the woods for 20 years, I didn't feel that old til I read this thread:biggrin:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

MacBludgeon said:
Water Town rings a bell, there was another one in East Croydon, which escapes me now(think you passed it if you went on the 197 bus), but I began my love affair with Kebabs outside it:biggrin: Used to get the bus to go swimming at West Wickham?? also used to go to Streatham Ice Rink. Jeez you're taking me back now, haven't been in that neck of the woods for 20 years, I didn't feel that old til I read this thread:biggrin:

Certainly did Streatham Ice Rink and 10-Pin Bowling IIRC.

Abitrary

Fab Foodie said:
Camden Palais.

Ah, the camden palace, what was in some ways the biggest youth club in britain.

Soul and groove night on wednesday's... pretending to go round friends for homework... and off down to camden to dance to maceo and the macks.

All Essex-based: :tongue:

TOTS - Southend
Room at the Top - Ilford
Elliots - south of Brentwood
Gold Mine - Canvey Island
The Bentley - Brentwood

And occasionally London, but I never enjoyed going to a disco club; the music was always too loud and I could never hear what the birds were saying! :thumbsup:

Give me a traditional pub anytime - with some half-decent women! :becool:

Or a wine bar where a mate used to work and slipped me a bottle of wine every time I went there! :tongue:

Top Bottom