Night ride to the seaside 28/29 April 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Oh good.
Is there a shortlist of destinations yet?

Mulling over whether or not to do the Isle of Wight Randonnee on the Sunday.... tempting... especially if the Republicans Ride lands us somewhere on the South Coast on the Friday morning...

Do. It's a great ride. This year it's following the route anti-clockwise, which has the advantage of getting the biggest climbs (southern tip of the island) out of the way sooner. It's all lumpy, though- just an excuse to have some more cake at the stops!

StuAff

Favoured destinations are, in no particular order, Dungeness, Hastings, or the most desolate part of Essex we can find.

I'd agree with Tynan on the advantages of Essex ordinarily, but it's a certainty that umpteen thousand rubberneckers will come up to the smoke from the south coast via train. Kind of misses the point to do something specifically to avoid the wedding, then get caught up in that lot when making my way home (assuming I can actually get on a train...)!!

TimO

Guru
I thought I'd already posted in this thread, but it must have been a similar one in another place.

Depending on what I decide to eventually do, I may be interested in this. I'd prefer somewhere southerly like Brighton, because then I can just get a train back to East Croydon station, and miss any complications of going through central London, but that's just for my personal convenience, and I can't justify it on any other more general grounds. :biggrin:

clivedb

Guru
Please count me in. I think I asserted my republican tendencies before but that may have been in the 2011 FNRttC thread.

I remember that the last time there was a royal wedding bank holiday I went off to the Peak District walking for the day - very peaceful.

TimO

Guru
I haven't got a clue what I did during the last royal wedding, which was obviously memorable to me!

For Di's funeral, I went up Cleeve Hill, and it was the busiest I've ever seen it. I clearly wasn't the only one trying to get away from all the faff.

frank9755

Cyclist
For Diana's funeral, we decided to go camping in the Dales.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>I still remember being the only car on Hanger Lane gyratory and then driving up a deserted M1.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>There were a few others out on the hills, though.

It was fine when we started walking but later it rained a lot. The place we were going to put the tent up, somewhere above Malham Cove, was waterlogged with lots of cows hanging around - not exactly menacingly but a bit in the way. My wife's enthusiasm was fading, so I said 'If we turn back now we can be home by 10pm. We did - and had a really enjoyable day, with fish &amp; chips on the way home!

</div><div><br></div><div>[Not sure why there is HTML poking through the veneer of this post...]</div>

I haven't got a clue what I did during the last royal wedding, which was obviously memorable to me!

For Di's funeral, I went up Cleeve Hill, and it was the busiest I've ever seen it. I clearly wasn't the only one trying to get away from all the faff.

Who was the last one? Charlie Parker Bowels etc? Or the whispy geezer - Andrew's brother and Fiona / Fiion? I have no idea.
For Diana's thing, I was outside demolishing outbuildings in my then garden. I'd rather tear a shed than shed a tear... :rolleyes:
(Although I did get a smile from her onetime, as a nice BMW convertible pulled up alongside my van in traffic, in Kensington, and she was sitting in the passenger seat. The driver was Will Carling. OK that's enough fame for today - I'm sure they remembered it for ages.

frank9755

Cyclist
A shame you didn't have a camera with you that day, 'Teef.
With your post-production skills you could have had a real scoop, given that sort of material to work with...!

I've been looking at this and the day before the wedding, you can get the eurostar to Lille for 37 quid if you go early enough, a nice gentle pootle back to Dover via an overnight stop in St omer and then ferry back from Calais for 17 quid is eminently doable. Formula 1 hotels are only 20 or so a night too.

StuAff

[QUOTE 1253624"]
I'll be in. Are we still looking to spend time in a pub on the Friday daytime? A pub with TV turned off?

I like the idea of Brighton...

Re: France. My passport is out of date. :blush:
[/quote]

Options still open at the moment I think.

Top Bottom