Night ride to the seaside 28/29 April 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Fear not Al, we have all night to cover 72 miles. A stately 12 mph will be just fine and no great zippiness is intended. To counterbalance this, there is some up and downiness, about half as much again as a classic Brighton FNRttC, but taken on with easy gears etc and we will get there in time for you to buy some beers.

Excellent, I shall see how I feel in the morning after todays intake of booze has worn off!!!!!

frank9755

Cyclist
And if it is looking bad, check again on Wednesday or even Thursday

Shhhh!
wink.gif

mistral

Guru
Any chance of a summary post, or a PM, or should I just roll up to HPC at midnight and see who's hanging around?e Al

I did try reading the thread, honest, but you've let Teef loose on posting again :ohmy:

I rather fancy this and have several mental contingency plans in place in case my appalling lack of fitness and pace prove too much of a burden. In other words I have maps, and plenty of lights, and can quite happily meander my own way through the night if need be.

But if this is a zippier affair all round then I'll aim for another date for a return to night riding :biggrin:

Too late Al, you're committed now!

Look forward to riding out with you again, it's been way too long, you can do it :thumbsup:

clivedb

Guru
[quote name='Aperitif'

And yes - it'll be good to see you again - for a while anyway... :tongue:

:smile:
[/quote]
Yes, Al, we were reflecting on your absence on the Bognor ride the other day, so hope you can make it!

Marilyn and I plan to join this ride - should be at Victoria at the usual time.

iLB

Hello there
I've got a 107km RR to do (win...) on Sunday so a sleepless Thursday night is not the best idea, means I have to endure the "street party" on my road...
rolleyes.gif

Any ideas for disruption lol, please rain...
whistling.gif

Adrian. I won't be able to make it now. I am off on a tour for the next two days, so I have decided it won't go down too well if I head off for another night ride. Hope it all goes well.
See you in June.
Tim

iZaP

Über Member
There there going to be a lot of long stops? (planned ones)
whistling.gif

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I rode the course last night from start to finish. I can confirm that it is rideable with no obvious hazards that became apparent at night. Traffic levels were acceptably light and apart from one car coming the other way where its drive neglected to dip the lights everyone I encountered behaved in a more than acceptable way. I rode t a consciously easy pace and took breaks totalling around 50 minutes. My overall time was just under 6 hours.

As a group we will be slower than that. There will be breathers at various points. There is a 24 ASDA at Swanley with its cornucopia of shopping opportunities. There are the services with M&S, toilets and Wild Bean Coffee at around 42 miles. There is no great sense in getting there at the time I did because the town was dead apart from the MacDonalds and the station.

Indeed. No rush!

iZaP

Über Member
I wanna cycle with padded shorts on, I'm alright with them at night, don't get cold at all, but If I stop for a lil longer, it starts getting bloody cold.

and I don't feel like cycling with pants on!

....and I don't have leg warmers. :sad:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Is anyone cycling back. I probably will, but at a gentler pace than a normal SMRbtH as I know it's a bit 'lumpy' that way.

Ross

Ross, I was planning on cycling back. I haven't done any planning for it though as I'd assumed I'd be on my own therefore just a blast back up the A21. Happy to pootle for the day though

iZaP

Über Member
I have 2 sets of leg warmers. I can bring one for you.

That would be great...but I don't want to give you even more work and so on!

I think I'll just man up
thumbsup.png

I'm also thinking about cycling back too...not too sure about this one really, just going to see how my legs feel probably :smile:
wink.gif

How fast is the ride back going to be you reckon?

rb58

Enigma
I have developed a stinking cold. That's what happens when you go on holiday apparently. I'll see how it develops during the day and overnight and decide in the morning whether to bail or not. Sorry, but don't want to be doing this if feeling miserable, especially if there's a chance we'll get wet.

Ross

Top Bottom