Nissan Leaf - what do we think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
The model 3 is very minimalist. The model S and X are a little more traditional in a high tech way

For £102,980 before options you would really hope so!!!!

Our old Leaf cost us less to own+run over 2 years than just the seating option in our X :laugh:.

The Leaf is one of the few 'good value' EVs around.

D

Deleted member 26715

So things move on, the more I look at it an EV I feel it would in most instances one would do what we need, I have a Shogun which does the towing of the horse trailer, the car trailer & potentially a caravan if we went back down that route.

I would prefer the 2018+ Leaf due to the increased distance & the fact it looks a lot nicer, but I can't stretch that far, the only ones I can see in my £15K budget have been either Taxi's, Private Hire or they are advertised by scammers.

With that in mind I'm restricted to a pre 2018 vehicle, so those that have them how to I test the battery, I don't think it's realistic to ask to borrow the car & then drive until it goes flat to see the range, is there some diagnostics that can be done? Enlighten this Luddite

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
So things move on, the more I look at it an EV I feel it would in most instances one would do what we need, I have a Shogun which does the towing of the horse trailer, the car trailer & potentially a caravan if we went back down that route.

I would prefer the 2018+ Leaf due to the increased distance & the fact it looks a lot nicer, but I can't stretch that far, the only ones I can see in my £15K budget have been either Taxi's, Private Hire or they are advertised by scammers.

With that in mind I'm restricted to a pre 2018 vehicle, so those that have them how to I test the battery, I don't think it's realistic to ask to borrow the car & then drive until it goes flat to see the range, is there some diagnostics that can be done? Enlighten this Luddite
I don't have a Leaf but a Golf plug in hybrid. But my starting point would be the car's own diagnostics. They will show the level of charge of the battery and the anticipated range.
I would also look up on YouTube and other resources, what numbers you might be expecting to see for your proposed vehicle, not the inflated numbers put out by manufacturers. Carwow on You Tube has done some real world driving of EVs, but other channels and resources are available. That way you will have a starting point for what you expect to see.
The level of battery charge is not likely to be hidden deep in the car's infotainment system, and may even appear directly in front of the driver. Particularly for a non hybrid as this is key information for your journey. The range will definitely be visible So if the car is fully charged it may be showing (say) 200 miles range, but if you know fully charged for a good set of batteries you should be showing 300 miles range, possibly the batteries are on their way out. Anything less than a full charge and it may come down to doing maths.

CXRAndy

Guru

You could have had ours, if you asked 8 months ago. £15k would have secured the deal.

You drive your regular route, set the trip to work out how many miles per kilowatts. Then just multiply from usable battery capacity. That is pretty accurate.

Or ask me who has owned two generation 2 Leaf's a 40kW and 62kW.

Real world range 40kW
Winter 105 miles
Summer 165miles.

Eco driving will be 3.6-4miles per kiloWatt

62kW
Winter 190 miles
Summer 240 miles

Eco driving 3.2-3.6 miles per kW
:okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom