Nissan Leaf - what do we think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
This morning not as good this yesterday. This was mostly due to car being stood for nearly 24 hours. I charged it up yesterday morning- wife needed overnight charge for her big drive in her Tesla today. This meant that the Nissan's battery wasnt usually preconditioned by the charge process which finishes at 7am.

20211117_090406.jpg

So a moderate 4.2 miles/kW costing 31p more than yesterday's £2.12

Now a comparison on e-mpg. Yesterday I used the equivalent of 33% of one gallon. Journey is 56 miles multiplied 3.03= 169 e-mpg :biggrin:

Today's e-mpg a terrible 146 e-mpg :ohmy:
Shockingly bad

Assuming my maths is spot on :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
If anyone really gave a flying f…. About the environment they would get rid of all their personal motorised transport :whistle: . So don’t give me the conscious decision bollocks :okay: .
Indeed. The electricity in the UK is far from emissions free, and even the most efficiently electric cars need to cover at least 40,000 miles before the NET lifetime emission draw level with the average ICE car, and significantly higher miles to match an efficient ICE car.

The idea that electric cars is somehow benign, or even good, is utter rubbish. From cradle to grave the atmospheric emissions saving is not great, less than 20% improvement, and the pollution from other aspects of their manufacture (lithium production is one most polluting and freshwater intensive industrial processes known to the human race) are massively worse than an ICE car.

Have an electric car by all means. We do. But people should not delude themselves that its somehow genuinely better for the environment - a minor improvement in lifetime emissions in exchange for much worse depletion of water tables and other forms of chemical and industrial pollution is the reality.

Anyone who really gave a sheet about the environment wouldn't buy a car at all. People who buy a new electric car for which the planet has been ravaged for resources, polluted with the by products, then the car shipped halfway around the world in an oil burning ship in the belief that they're somehow being nice to the environment is an idiot. They're not reducing pollution - theyre creating it elsewhere and smearing it about a lot, but because it hasn't rolled out their own tailpipe it doesnt exist and they feel all smug.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
He without sin cast the first stone

Anyone who owns anything that is operated by any battery type ;)

Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you,

We are all in it together :biggrin:

I get your point Drago - but the topic is the Nissan Leaf which is built in the UK ?

Are there many EVs actually built in the UK at present ?

CXRAndy

Guru
Honda not planning too? Certainly assembling ?
Honda and Toyota are, were against EVs. They wanted to carry on with their successful ICE and develop hydrogen later.

They made a token vehicle to hoodwink the gormless they're all for BEV

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Honda and Toyota are, were against EVs. They wanted to carry on with their successful ICE and develop hydrogen later.

They made a token vehicle to hoodwink the gormless they're all for BEV
So they aren’t building EVs in the UK ? That was my question ? The rest of your lecture I’m not sure what that was about :whistle: .

However a wee bit searching and it would seem there is a bit more detail here and JLR plan to be fully electric in 2025 ?!
https://lovemyev.com/explore/electr...ectric-cars-the-uks-ev-icons-past-and-present

CXRAndy

Guru
To my Knowledge Honda is re structuring their worldwide manufacturing, mostly back Japan.

Toyota, dont know, apart from wishing we had gone hydrogen now

CXRAndy

Guru
New Leaf 62kW is here. Surprisingly not, it drives just like the old one. Little differences, you sit higher, car is raised to accommodate larger battery pack, smoother auto steering and adaptive cruise. Better info-tainment system. Bose sounds beefier. LED full lighting will be nice to use instead of incandescent of the old Leaf.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
New Leaf 62kW is here. Surprisingly not, it drives just like the old one. Little differences, you sit higher, car is raised to accommodate larger battery pack, smoother auto steering and adaptive cruise. Better info-tainment system. Bose sounds beefier. LED full lighting will be nice to use instead of incandescent of the old Leaf.
Head on the chopping block here ^_^ , the new Leaf is nice looker from the outside not seen inside one. Had a shot of the original Leaf as a mate at work had one and it did feel like driving a milk float :whistle: ok a quick one :laugh: . It’s was just a horrible looking car imo. It each to their own !

CXRAndy

Guru
Head on the chopping block here ^_^ , the new Leaf is nice looker from the outside not seen inside one. Had a shot of the original Leaf as a mate at work had one and it did feel like driving a milk float :whistle: ok a quick one :laugh: . It’s was just a horrible looking car imo. It each to their own !

Pretty much like all Nissans inside, functional, doesn't set the world on fire, unless its a Tesla :laugh:

Comes with leather upholstery, comfy. Wife is out in it now, she'll test performance, range and come back with a list of non likes, even though its pretty much identical to the old one-which she liked :unsure:

Top Bottom