Nissan Leaf - what do we think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
It may be worth investing in a V2G charger box to provide power when Solar stops. I'm also investigating a small wind turbine to help top up battery and keep house running overnight.

Our Powerwall is by far the most utilised lithium ion based product we own. Its literally 'working' 24/7, either recharging off solar/cheap E7 rate grid electricity or discharging for the house.

It really taps into making what ever renewable energy generation you have much more effective.

I'll be keen to see how you get on with a wind turbine install, my understanding is you need a decent sized one for any real generation capacity, but anything worth while getting needs alot of planning permission approval :sad:.

51671905284_9d224ce4a9_c_d.jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
What's the EV equivalent of 'petrol head'?

CXRAndy

Guru
So we have replaced speeding fossil fuel cars for speeding EVs ??!! At least with the petrol engines you can hear them coming !! Not so much with your turbo charged milk float :whistle:
You really have a negative approach to EVs. :laugh: It was an example to indicate EV performance is no detriment compared to ICE vehicles. Virtually all vehicle noise once over 20mph is tyre noise.

I'm looking for a new EV, what's this new turbo charged version?-Is it better than Plaid ;)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
You really have a negative approach to EVs. :laugh: It was an example to indicate EV performance is no detriment compared to ICE vehicles. Virtually all vehicle noise once over 20mph is tyre noise.

I'm looking for a new EV, what's this new turbo charged version?-Is it better than Plaid ;)
Not negative , realistic ! An EV is of no use to me currently, absolutely no use. My wife however would manage ok with one . To repeat though EV vehicles are not going to fix todays problem other than emissions in use at the time !! I will still see the same queues of traffic into the city and busy motorways . Something that seems lost to most folk !

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
We need a global infrastructure network with Governments combining R+D to fund solar power for everyone. This reliance on personal transport and the millions people spend each year isn't doing anything to develop an accessible solar and battery system and just panders to the oil industries muscling to only promote their own private, and therefore expensive, national] network. 6p/kwh is a sensible and affordable charge, 30p+/kwh is profiteering and makes EVs as expensive to operate as diesel powered vehicles. Couple that with the eye-watering prices for new cars and the whole thing just doesn't stack up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
EV's 'filing up' is subsidised at present though - 6p kwh vs 20p normal electricity consumption, and don't forget the free charge points. There will come a point it's not so cheap/ free.

The cost vs usage makes no sense to my use at present.

CXRAndy

Guru
todays problem other than emissions in use at the time
Well that's a huge problem currently and if we don't start cutting all forms of emissions, queueing in traffic will be the least of your worries :laugh:

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
I followed a new style Leaf home from Daughters the other night. They were using the same back route I do to avoid rush hour traffic. Despite myself I actually found myself liking the look of it. It didn't hang about either, certainly quicker in the mid range than the average non hot-hatch. The Volvo has 450NM and kept up ok, but I was surprised that I was having to pay attention to stay with it (it was an unlit country road and their headlamps were far better than mine, so I was trying to stay close enough to benefit!)
We have a number of BEVs at work as pool cars and I routinely will chose one of those over an ICE car. The current generation Leafs are indeed quite nippy, even with 4 big blokes onboard. Handling is a bit meh, but such are most modern cars with electric power steering which gives little feedback, and the ride is a bit firm. However as Drago says, they can be hustled along the back roads and will leave most things for dead at traffic lights, especially as so many ICE cars have to restart the engine once the driver sees the green lights.

We are considering a power vault of some type, but hadn't really considered that a BEV sitting in our drive connected via a smart charger could be effectively acting as one. I'm working from home mostly and some weeks the Caravelle rarely goes out, so a BEV could be powering our house during the evenings and could be "topped up" on a cheap overnight tariff combined with charge from our PV panels.

Hmm, i wonder how much a Leaf is second hand, or to lease?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well that's a huge problem currently and if we don't start cutting all forms of emissions, queueing in traffic will be the least of your worries :laugh:
I remember diesel being touted as the best thing to drive , superb fuel economy etc . Now it’s the devil incarnate :laugh: . Save me the Greta speech , no matter what we drive it all has an environmental cost . I’m pretty confident that if I want I could be driving a non EV till I retire.

I remember diesel being touted as the best thing to drive , superb fuel economy etc . Now it’s the devil incarnate :laugh: . Save me the Greta speech , no matter what we drive it all has an environmental cost . I’m pretty confident that if I want I could be driving a non EV till I retire.
Depending on when you retire I'm sure you could.
Not necessarily the sensible decision but it's your choice.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Depending on when you retire I'm sure you could.
Not necessarily the sensible decision but it's your choice.
Well why would it not be sensible ? If I can keep my current car going for as long as I can, I’m saving money ! Owes me nothing , bought and paid for no monthly payments ? One less car on the road really if you think about it.

Top Bottom