Nissan Leaf - what do we think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Ok didn’t realise they were 6 seaters. Need more main stream options but fear pricing is just too far for some.
BIL bought a model 3 , get the feeling that he ain’t happy with the build quality . Been back twice for paint issues and something else .

The X isn't a 6 seater. It can be a 5 seater, a 6 seater or a 7 seater depending on the configuration you choose (and pay for).

But in terms of cost - that's why the Model Y is coming out. It's the smaller version of the X essentially, just as the 3 is a smaller version of the S. It still won't be *that* cheap (priced from £35,000) but it is more affordable. Of course when you have added 7 seats, a tow hitch and full self drive you will probably be nearer to £50,000.

icowden

Veteran
They currently have 7 in London, 13 for the rest of the British Isles.

There are more authorised Lamborghini service agents than Tesla service centres.

i think they are expanding, but their ethos is that most "problems" can be fixed remotely. Of course that doesn't apply to bodywork issues.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
My dad is rather keen on going PHEV or full on EV but his worry has always been range and how much of an inconvenience it is to wait 2-3hrs for a big charge or 30mins for a partial charge never mind there being charge points near by when he really needs one. (we dont have our own off street parking so cant put our own charge point in)

I keep telling him that the network of charge points is steadily growing and most big supermarkets have charging points in their carparks. So he could leave the car charging for 30mins every time he does his shopping -- his biggest fear is being left stranded somewhere.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’ll be waiting a while before going full EV if I ever do. No charge points at work. If you can make it work great . Personally prefer the freedom of a hybrid if that was the only choice , which looking at things is probably the way. Even Land Rover are now offering mild hybrids now. Soon be the only choice. Also seems to be the only real option for towing a caravan.

gzoom

Über Member
They currently have 7 in London, 13 for the rest of the British Isles.

There are more authorised Lamborghini service agents than Tesla service centres.

Good thing any one with buying a Nissan Leaf can go to Nissan dealer ;).

But on Tesla, you don't need to 'service' them, so the only time you visit a dealership is some thing goes wrong. 50% of warranty claims I've had on our car has been done by a technician coming to my house, Tesla twice came to the house to pick up the car and left me a loaner, once the car was towed to the dealer and than they dropped it off at home. I've physically had to drive the car to a service center roughly 6 times, in return for a loaner.

Tesla have an awful reliability record, but that shouldn't be 'news' to anyone, is probably similar for any Lambo.

But an EV from the likes of Nissan/Kia/Hyundai are different story.

Our old Leaf was one of the most practical family cars we have owned, and one of the cheapest to run/maintain, it was the first car my daughter travelled in.

My personal biggest regret is 6 years on, and despite the news of Canada baking in record temperatures EVs are still some how seen as the 'odd ball' choice. I remember thinking in 2015 why didn't I switch to an EV back in 2013 when the first gen 2 Leafs came to market. Yet even now more people are choosing to buy diesels over EVs :sad:.

26212878340_6124da54a9_c_d.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
n the case of your acquaintance, they should just leave things to the insurers to sort out the repairs.

It's a no fault claim against the other driver's insurance.

They will pay, but next to nothing would be done if she left it to them.

Happily, it turns out there's Tesla service centre in Newcastle, which is doable, albeit twice as far away as service might have been were it a mainstream maker.

The alternatives to Newcastle are Greater Manchester or Scotland.

That's a vast swathe of the country in which the owner of a crashed Tesla could face a very long journey for crash repair or warranty work requiring the fitting of a part.

None of which is insurmountable, and no doubt coverage will increase.

But service/repair remains a consideration for new buyers until the network is improved.

gzoom

Über Member
we dont have our own off street parking so cant put our own charge point in

This is the biggest real problem with EVs, and something the government despite all their talk refuses to address or spend money on.

I love our EV because I can refuel it home overnight on cheap electricity, or if there is enough sun for 'free' via our solar panels. More importantly refueling at home saves me TIME. I have having to drive to the petrol station to fill up my wifes car.

But take away home charging and you left with having to use public rapid chargers, which are far slower and less convenient than petrol pumps. I don't know what the solution is aside form government putting local councils to task on installing kerb side charge points.

gzoom

Über Member
That's a vast swathe of the country in which the owner of a crashed Tesla could face a very long journey for crash repair or warranty work requiring the fitting of a part.

No really, you phone the insurance company and get a loan car delivered, and carry on.

Some idiot did this our Model X when it was 4 months old.

35269663945_2b4ce60a65_c_d.jpg

A interm loan car was arranged that afternoon, and the next day this was delivered to my work address and the other loan car taken away.

34569006163_42c6e8c6ff_c_d.jpg

Warranty work as I've described is covered by a combination of loan cars, door step delivery/collection, ranger visits.

Ofcourse why/how Tesla customer service is relevant to someone looking at a Nissan Leaf I have no idea :smile:

Oh and my insurance cost for the Tesla, fully comp, is £350/year, before someone starts worrying about insurance costs.

gzoom

Über Member
It's a no fault claim against the other driver's insurance.

They will pay, but next to nothing would be done if she left it to them.

Why are they even dealing with it???

If its a non fault claim, leave to the insurance company surely to sort out??

icowden

Veteran
This is the biggest real problem with EVs, and something the government despite all their talk refuses to address or spend money on.

There were some rumours that they were looking at converting street lights to have EV charge sockets. We also need more EV incentives. Norway has the highest EV take up rate around - thanks to 0% purchase tax, 0% VAT etc.

Sometimes a newish Leaf parks just in front of my Kodiaq, as the driver visits someone a bit further down the Avenue
It seems rather large, I presume they've grown in size (like most cars have?)

I'm sure the earlier ones were more Micra sized?
All the cars have got bigger. Is the Kodiaq the new Yeti ? I bet it's bigger than its predecessor.

Top Bottom