Nissan Leaf - what do we think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
brother in laws bought a Tesla Model 3, traded in his X5. For me I’ll hang onto my tree killer disco 4 for as long as I can. There is not a EV vehicle that can do all that I need at this moment in time. However that’s not to say I wouldn’t consider it as a second car. The future as I see is not electric , the battery tech needs to change improve and the raw elements needed to make the batteries is hardly a green !!!

Our current EV is already coming up to 4 years old 40K, I plan to keep it at least 8 years.

This weekend it took 6 of us + 3 bikes to the local park, once lock down ends properly we have a 750 mile road trip planned fully loaded.

The EV technology on the whole is good enough already, its the cost that needs to come down.

View attachment 584722
Please report back in 8 years.^_^. There should be plenty of places to charge available by then.
I may be wrong but feel the industry is about where they were with Ic cars in the twenties. Come the thirties cars things had improved enormously.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
One thing to watch for if travelling longer distances beyond your PHEV's electric range is that it costs about 15p/mile to charge at motorway services compared to 11p/mile to use the petrol engine, so using motorway charging points is more expensive.

Though I haven't worked it out this is probably true of full EV charging too- rapid charging rates per mile at motorway services would be probably be more than the rate per mile for petrol bought at supermarkets... so only charge at home or at work!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
What is this 'work' of which you speak? ^_^
Actually, the job-before-last in Letchworth, I commuted by e-bike and always charged it there as well. I did have enough range to do a round trip and then some, but I preferred to have a full battery. Just in case, like.
Anyways, if it's much more than a hundred miles or so, I'd sooner take the train if possible.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What is this 'work' of which you speak? ^_^
Actually, the job-before-last in Letchworth, I commuted by e-bike and always charged it there as well. I did have enough range to do a round trip and then some, but I preferred to have a full battery. Just in case, like.
Anyways, if it's much more than a hundred miles or so, I'd sooner take the train if possible.

Shame you aren't a real doctor.

The nurse I know who has bought a Tesla tells me there is free to staff charging at the bay in the staff car park.

So she's gone from about thirty quid a week fuel costs for commuting to zero quid a week.

Very handy.

One thing to watch for if travelling longer distances beyond your PHEV's electric range is that it costs about 15p/mile to charge at motorway services compared to 11p/mile to use the petrol engine, so using motorway charging points is more expensive.

Though I haven't worked it out this is probably true of full EV charging too- rapid charging rates per mile at motorway services would be probably be more than the rate per mile for petrol bought at supermarkets... so only charge at home or at work!

Just done the sums on ecotricity.
30p per kWh.
Under 10p per mile for me.

If I got my electric from ecotricity then it's half that price. 15p per kWh so under 5p a mile.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
brother in laws bought a Tesla Model 3, traded in his X5. For me I’ll hang onto my tree killer disco 4 for as long as I can. There is not a EV vehicle that can do all that I need at this moment in time. However that’s not to say I wouldn’t consider it as a second car. The future as I see is not electric , the battery tech needs to change improve and the raw elements needed to make the batteries is hardly a green !!!
This was the problem when mobile phones first emerged, the batteries were a; huge and b; crap. As a result, battery tech did change and improve.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yep indeed , so I’ll wait for now :okay: . Nothing out there that does all what I need which is not cramped and can tow my twin axle caravan :laugh:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Still think I’ll be waiting along time...... if that’s the only option !? Long way to go, fossil fuel will be here for long time yet.

It's quite astonishing how many EVs you see on the road now though. I can't see many petrol stations being around much longer than 2030.

icowden

Veteran
Still think I’ll be waiting along time...... if that’s the only option !? Long way to go, fossil fuel will be here for long time yet.

True, but most likely in its raw form, in the ground.

Similarly @Drago 's point:-

The change won't happen. Theres only 40% of the neodymium required to replace every ICE car with a battery one, not to mention the lithium carbonate or hydroxide. It physically cannot ever happen as the dreamers wish.

Is moot as it assumes that the way forward for EV's is 1:1 replacement. Most EV sites think that is unlikely, and we will see fleets of self-driving EVs instead that are far more efficient and in use far more of the time, thus eliminating the need for many (not everybody - but many people) to own an actual car.

Top Bottom