No customer service at Alpkit / Sonder

• Thread starter Deleted member 91092
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, then clearly we are not used to the same LBS :laugh:. Are you one of these kind of guys who spend 3000 GBP in a bike to ride it 6 miles/week ?

None of my bikes are that pricey but you have to expect a certain amount of wear and tear. How many chains have you had in these years ?

rivers

How far can I go?
With regards to the rusted cable- cables are consumables and they need to be replaced. You did well to get 3 years out of it before it snapped. My winter bike gear cables get replaced yearly (hydro brakes so don't need to worry about them). My summer bike and my TT bike- every 18 months - 2 years. They rarely see wet weather, but do inspect them every so often to check to see if they need early replacement.
With regards to the rims: The email back from alpkit said you had toured on them. How heavy were your loads? If you were doing heavy, loaded touring then maybe you needed stronger rims with a higher spoke count.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 91092

With regards to the rusted cable- cables are consumables and they need to be replaced. You did well to get 3 years out of it before it snapped. My winter bike gear cables get replaced yearly (hydro brakes so don't need to worry about them). My summer bike and my TT bike- every 18 months - 2 years. They rarely see wet weather, but do inspect them every so often to check to see if they need early replacement.
With regards to the rims: The email back from alpkit said you had toured on them. How heavy were your loads? If you were doing heavy, loaded touring then maybe you needed stronger rims with a higher spoke count.

Thanks, your post is constructive. I agree that I was lazy about the cable. It's my only bike with full housing, so the cables cannot be visually checked. I was expecting bad functioning before failure, but I was wrong.
As for touring I detailed about it above. Most of the time I have negligible load. As a family in three years we rode about 4000 km with light load, 10 kg (22 lbs) on the rear rack. These 32-spoke wheels were explicitly described as gravel and touring wheels.

None of my bikes are that pricey but you have to expect a certain amount of wear and tear. How many chains have you had in these years ?
Are you a cop ? Are you working at Alpkit ? When there is a conflict about a warranty, the seller must prove the user's fault, otherwise the seller must take the repair in charge. That's the law, and brexited UK is no exception.

I change my chain as soon as it gets ~0.5% elongated as measured by the appropriate tool. For the Santiago I'm running on the 4th chain. I'm checking the cassette regularly, I have a brand new one as a spare, but for the moment the shifting is as perfect as the very first days.

As a family we have 6 bikes at home, from 200 to 1500 GBP. I'm like you, I never experienced a rusted cable before the rear one on my Santiago. What you said above make me suspect that indeed it was a galvanized cable. We have an old and cheap MTB, the wheels are not cracked.

I'm the one who maintain the 6 bikes of the family, and I'm regularly contributing to an open access local bike workshop. All the people there, who are more experienced than me, say that such cracks are anomalous. Is that enough for you ? Do you want my criminal record ? My vaccination certificate ?

Do you at least know what is a good customer service ? I give you an example. I wear Tilley hats
https://uk.tilley.com/
It's a canadian company, I warmly recommend them to you. The hats are guaranteed for life. After a few years my first hat was damaged at one of the eyelets. After a single mail it was replaced for free, with a smile and a nice word recommending me to use the damaged hat for gardening. This is an excellent customer service.

The only thing where I agree with you is that I only contributed to this forum to complain about Alpkit. I understand it's not nice, I'm sorry for that. I'm active on French bike forums, but not english-speaking ones. In 2019 the Santiago was new, and basically only here I could find someone who got the touring version of the bike. There are very few Sonder bikes in France. I know only one guy from a French forum who rides a Santiago, a few monthes ago he completely destroyed the rear wheel while going a bit too fast on a bump... it was just after the end of warranty period (so he didn't try anything) but with significantly less miles than me.

When I plan to buy something expensive from an online seller that I don't know, I like to check real customer reviews. That's the only reason why I described in detail the problems I had when I ordered the bike (and that Alpkit corrected later, as a confirmation that I was right), and now the warranty issue I have just before the end of the formal period.

vickster

Legendary Member
Unfortunately, at least in the UK consumer law pertaining to an item being fit for purpose (and not a failure due to wear and tear), after 6 months it’s up to the buyer to prove it’s not, rather than the seller :smile:

• six months or more you must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a partial refund, and the burden of proof is on you to prove the product is faulty
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

hope you get some satisfactory resolution

Jody

Stubborn git
Well, then clearly we are not used to the same LBS :laugh:. Are you one of these kind of guys who spend 3000 GBP in a bike to ride it 6 miles/week ?

Yep :whistle:

As to the OP. I know someone who had the same issue on a Sonder HT MTB. Was fixed and he was happy with the outcome.

HOWEVER. This was not long after purchase. To me 3 years and 13,000 miles is not what I'd consider to be warrantable.

New wheels and move on.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 91092

Unfortunately, at least in the UK consumer law pertaining to an item being fit for purpose (and not a failure due to wear and tear), after 6 months it’s up to the buyer to prove it’s not, rather than the seller :smile:

• six months or more you must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a partial refund, and the burden of proof is on you to prove the product is faulty
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

hope you get some satisfactory resolution

OK, I didn't know that. But I bought this bike from an EU seller... in 2019
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

In any case Alpkit's argument is that the warranty does not hold because the cracks came after 2.5 years and because of touring. But it's a touring bike and the warranty is 3 years, so the argument is non sense.

vickster

Legendary Member
OK, I didn't know that. But I bought this bike from an EU seller... in 2019
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

In any case Alpkit's argument is that the warranty does not hold because the cracks came after 2.5 years and because of touring. But it's a touring bike and the warranty is 3 years, so the argument is non sense.

There‘s a 3 year warranty on the wheel? But you still have to prove it’s failed due to a defect covered by warranty and so not fit for purpose rather than due to wear and tear as it’s been heavily used.

if it’s that much of a bother and you believe you are in the right, take them to the small claims court. You’re claiming now under current rules rather than those in place when you bought it (which have changed with Brexit)

chriswoody

Legendary Member
In the last weeks I've been in touch myself with Sonder/Alpkit myself with regards an order and yes, they do seem to be dreadfully busy at the moment.

Initially there was a problem with stock that wasn't reflected on their website, however, they immediately contacted me and gave me some options and asked what I wanted to do. After this initial email it did all go quiet and took a bit of chasing to get information on the status of the order and timings.

So yes, my experiences have not been 100% positive in that regard and a bit more transparency and openness about the length of time it would take to fulfill the order would have been appreciated. That said, I have been a customer on and off for a few years and generally have had nothing but positive experiences. They do seem to be a relatively small company and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at what appears to be a busy time for them.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
How heavy are you OP?
At the end of the day you will be able to get a new wheel relatively inexpensively, say £100 or less. Just get one?

Top Bottom