No customer service at Alpkit / Sonder

• Thread starter Deleted member 91092
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Sometimes I wonder how much of a mark up the manufacturers and wholesalers add onto products for warranty. Today its a blame culture and we all end up paying.

If there is a time-limited warranty, I expect it to be honoured during that time, regardless of distance ridden. If there is a distance-limited warranty, I expect that to be obvious.

The rest of you can do what you like but I will call out warranties that aren’t honoured by the companies offering them when put to the test.

I agree.

Long time ago I had a portable mini disc player that I bought an extended warranty on (Inc accidental damage). Over the period of that warranty it probably went back for repair at least 10 times. I've still got it and it still works.

At one point the shop tried to get out of it, saying I was only allowed x amount of claims. I pointed out it was a time limited not occurance warranty and they continued to fix it.

In this case of the bicycle wheel I think the OP was right to claim and expect a response, the warranty was time limited not distance though I accept there may have been other conditions we aren't aware of.

That the response was not as quick or not what they wanted is their issue though. I would have been happy with what was offered.

Some years ago I arrived at an airport just as my flight was leaving. Due to chaos on the train network the airport was full of people like me and chaos reigned.

I made my way to the Airline desk and joined the queue. The man in front of me was loud and abusive towards the two ladies working the counter. They told him that there were no more seats available and that he'd have to fly the next day. (I couldn't hear them but everyone heard him). Unhappy, he made his feelings clear, very publicly, very aggressively and very intimidatingly.

When my turn came I made a joke with the ladies and asked them if they could guess why I was there. They smiled and the atmosphere at the desk changed. Two hours was all I had to wait to get on a plane.

Stunned, I nodded towards the man (now shouting at another poor unfortunate whose airline was a codeshare with mine and had no hope of offering a seat).
"Some people can't be helped" was the answer I was given.

I'm not sure that it was the "Corporate approved" answer but it was certainly a very human answer and understandable in those terms.

Other than a delay in contacting the OP after the initial claim I think the supplier did OK by them. Certainly, the attitude displayed by the OP on this thread did little to generate any sympathy from me.

The fact that the warranty claim is made within days of the limit has a bearing too, I think. I find it hard to judge that the supplier is trying to deny any warranty cover.

ExBrit

Über Member
8000 miles ? How many miles would you like out of your wheels ? Have you changed your chain or cassette at all ?

8000 miles is not very far for decent rims. I ride 50,000 miles between wheels. I get 32 spoke Mavic Open Pros. His photo looks like it should be a solid wheel and 8000 miles is unacceptable.

vickster

Legendary Member
8000 miles is not very far for decent rims. I ride 50,000 miles between wheels. I get 32 spoke Mavic Open Pros. His photo looks like it should be a solid wheel and 8000 miles is unacceptable.

I got about 8000 miles from a 36h open pro, cracked rim presumably due to rubbish road surfaces. A lot is down to luck.
Those rims are pretty much discontinued now unfortunately

ExBrit

Über Member
I got about 8000 miles from a 36h open pro, cracked rim presumably due to rubbish road surfaces. A lot is down to luck.
Those rims are pretty much discontinued now unfortunately

Well I don't know if I'm lucky or other people are unlucky. I ride 5,000+ miles a year on my road bike, weigh 100kg , ride at about 150-200 Watts and I just had to replace my rear wheel after 9 years. I fully expect my new rear wheel to last another 8-10 years. I hope I'm right.

vickster

Legendary Member
Rim brakes (my road bike is 24 years old). It has over 100,000 miles on it. I'm on my second front wheel and third rear wheel.

Maybe the weather is better in Southern California than the UK or France?
No idea :unsure:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I've had a few items from Alpkit, a coat, tights, shorts, a couple of bags, bike saddlebags etc over the years and I think they are a good company. I wouldnt be put off from buying from them by OPs review. If I was after a bike off them I'd get one.

If you're put off by the comments of a single thread flouncer then I recommend not reading reviews. Even one bad one will put you off. :laugh:

ExBrit

Über Member
Even if you are the most conscientious of companies, if you have enough customers eventually someone will have a terrible experience with you. It's simple statistics. They have the right to make a stink about it. We have to figure out how much of a statistical outlier their experience was. There's value in the OP post and we should recognize that, just as we should see the value in posts about good experiences.

Even if you are the most conscientious of companies, if you have enough customers eventually someone will have a terrible experience with you. It's simple statistics. They have the right to make a stink about it. We have to figure out how much of a statistical outlier their experience was. There's value in the OP post and we should recognize that, just as we should see the value in posts about good experiences.

I'm very dubious about people who join forums just to slag off one shop or company. I take anything they say with a pinch of salt.

I agree.

I'm still on the flouncers side to a certain extent, but I do think they over reacted negatively to the company's first responses.

I've had poor goods from a company this year but their customer service was outstanding in mitigating the problem. No grudge held from my end.

I've ordered from the company the flouncer did before I saw this thread, I'd still order again.

Top Bottom