No Gloves WTF ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Out on a ride this morning not sure of temp but probably around 2 degrees with a biting easterly wind, a guy on a hybrid pulls up at the lights in serious pain trying to rub and blow some life into his gloveless hands.....

Even a pair of poundshop gloves would be a hell of a lot better than nothing ,the bike and his other cycling kit all looked pretty good, if he doesnt end up in A and E with frostbitten fingers I bet he doesnt make that mistake again.:ohmy:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
made the same mistake myself nearly thirty years ago, and still remember the pain !
freezing winter tempartures, set off on bike; bollocks, forgotten gloves. Can't be arsed to go back for them now I've started. A mile further down the road, realised my mistake when the pain started - now too far to go back - a mile later pain stops - not so bad now I'm used to it. 10 miles later get to the office, then excruciating pain returns as my fingers warm up. Not an experience I've repeated since, though come close a couple of times, gloved, whilst hillwalking, and on a very cold motorbike journey from Torridon to London in snow - fully gloved.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

What an eeediot.

I don't have no gloves on ever. I've seen what sliding down the road does to your naked hands.

Very true,I briefly got into fingerless ones last week but back in the full size winter jobs again now.

Chris-H

Über Member
We passed a bloke out on he's road bike yesterday,wet cold and not a nice day in shorts !!! I really appreciated the heaters in the car at that point.

Sara_H

Guru
We passed a bloke out on he's road bike yesterday,wet cold and not a nice day in shorts !!! I really appreciated the heaters in the car at that point.
I've just seen someone jogging down our road in shorts and a t shirt - There's frozen snow on the ground FFS!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I can't cycle without either winter gloves or summer mitts. The winter ones are worn for obvious reasons, the summer ones for a non sweaty grip, and to occasionally wipe off potential puncturing grit, thorns etc.
I don't know how people can fully control a bike with numb frozen hands and fingers. If you can hardly feel the handlebars and gear shifters how can that be safe?

Mate at work forgot his once, and said he'd never been in as much pain on the ride back home: 8 miles at -1, which doesn't take into account the wind chill factor.

He said they were throbbing for ages when he got back into the warm too.

Stu9

I've just seen someone jogging down our road in shorts and a t shirt - There's frozen snow on the ground FFS!

But it's kinda ironic, they're moving all the time and probably dont feel it, I guess it's the same for those on bikes (push) but your hands will as they're just sitting on the bars, dont know if that makes sense, I know what I mean though

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

What is notion you need all the gear to ride?

Yes, on a long ride I will wear gloves for comfort or protection, but if I am just nipping down the shops on the clunker, I will just go with what I have on at the time. Maybe the rider in the OP was just doing this.

If he was I think he was regretting it.That man was in serious pain . I think he would have swapped his house car and wife for my tatty old endura gloves at th at point.:biggrin:

Tommy2

Über Member
Ha, wasn't me was it, I was getting some funny looks from other runners in tights, jackets and wooly hats FFS, I was sweating my t*ts off, could not wear a hat whilst running!

Top Bottom