No hands.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Last month I saw a schoolboy constantly riding no hands for about 2 miles along a narrow and occasionally overgrown cycle path.

Envious.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

What bike are you trying this on?
None just thinking about it.

Jody

Stubborn git
I can see the compact version may be a little twitchy to NH but the normal hybrid type should be OK.

Get some speed up and go for it!

FrothNinja

Veteran
I have a suspicion hands free is one of those things that gets harder if you think about it. The key is momentum. I've been able to go hands off on all the eBikes I have ridden, and go round sweeping corners, pedal, and do shadow puppetry. Always done it on bikes, especially on long rides as it gives the neck and shoulders a break. Momentum and sitting up straight are a good place to start - and a soft landing until you get the hang of it. I suspect getting into position could be tricky if you are overstretched when you have your hands on the bars. If you want to build up confidence, try riding using your fingertips on the bars. You could start by riding with your thumbs on top of the bars with your fingers.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I have a suspicion hands free is one of those things that gets harder if you think about it. The key is momentum. I've been able to go hands off on all the eBikes I have ridden, and go round sweeping corners, pedal, and do shadow puppetry. Always done it on bikes, especially on long rides as it gives the neck and shoulders a break. Momentum and sitting up straight are a good place to start - and a soft landing until you get the hang of it. I suspect getting into position could be tricky if you are overstretched when you have your hands on the bars. If you want to build up confidence, try riding using your fingertips on the bars. You could start by riding with your thumbs on top of the bars with your fingers.
I
I have a stoop in my back can't walk very much that's why I love ebikes I can ride for miles so I expect that adds to it but I have tried .

richtea

The key is momentum.
I'd say the key is rake and trail combined.
But agreed, more momentum will give you more gyroscopic effect from the wheels which will help smooth out instabilities.

Tenkaykev

Guru
A few weeks ago I saw a youngster riding hands free while gazing at his phone snd texting ( he did occasionally glance up at the road ahead ) . While I felt concern for his well-being, it did raise a smile.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

A few weeks ago I saw a youngster riding hands free while gazing at his phone snd texting ( he did occasionally glance up at the road ahead ) . While I felt concern for his well-being, it did raise a smile.
Young and foolish I make mistakes texting when it is flat on the table in front of me 🤠

Top Bottom