No hands.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I kinda used to think that I had paid (OK my Dad had paid) for 2 wheels, 2 pedal, 10 gears and a set of handlebars
plus brakes and other stuff that was les important

so it is there to be used

I could ride with no hands but riding with hands on the top of the brakes (which allowed for about 1% of full braking power - it was the 1980s) was more comfortable if I adjusted the bike properly
which meant pleasant fiddling with spanners on the lawn or in theyard

so why put in the practice???

still - front wheel way a lot further forward than my current e-bike - but then I am not as willing to lean back and embrase the experience (freedom of tarmac??) as I was when I was a teenager

On a similar note - about 20 years ago I went to a woodland where we used to ride when I was 14/15 ish

there are 2 trees and a lampost at teh bottom of a dirt downhill track
we used to go through them at SPEED

YEA GODS!!!!!!

I must have had about 1 inch each side - if that
never died
probably

I can ride miles no handed on my road bike and mountain bike, but only a few yards on my gravel bike and not all on my cruiser. So yes, I assume it's down to bike geometry. The cruise has a very slack head tube angle and the gravel bike a very steep seat tube.

I learnt years ago as mandated by fellow rides so we didn't have to stop to change jersey, eat food, talk on the phone and clean sunglasses. These days I find it useful to be able to sit straight up every now and then on long rides when my back gets sore.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
As a oap I hadn't ridden a bike since I was a boy and took to ebikes straight away.When I was a boy we used to show off riding no hands ,I tried it on my ebike and just can't .A friend can't either he thinks it's because we are old .Wonder if anyone knows why.
My 2¢ worth, Biker man, in agreement with those that suggest JUST DON'T DO IT! DONT ride without either of your hands on your handlebars. At least keep one on, just in case.
(Even if you can ride with NO hand)

My Story: In my youth I was riding my Peugeot U-O8 10-speed, as I had hundreds of times, no hands. Not sure whatever happened on that one occasion… I was riding along smoothly in my home community and the next thing I knew I woke up in the hospital. A concussion, and 2 broken teeth, one of which, a bottom tooth, had going through my upper lip, requiring 6 stitches. To consider how hard I hit, try to get any of your lower teeth anywhere near your upper lip! Once was enough for me. One of my incisor teeth was filed flat on the concrete surface I was apparently catapulted onto face first before I could raise my hands, another tooth was split almost in half.

But I learned a lesson. From that day when I was 16 or 17 years old, I have NEVER ridden a bike without at least one hand on my handlebars since then.

OK, all no hands riders can now tell their stories of how they rode a round-trip of six countries with no hands. More power to you, but it is no longer worth the risk for me. When I see others do it, I just think back to that time waking up in the hospital. No thanks! :wacko: :blush:

OP
OP
B

Biker man

My 2¢ worth, Biker man, in agreement with those that suggest JUST DON'T DO IT! DONT ride without either of your hands on your handlebars. At least keep one on, just in case.
(Even if you can ride with NO hand)

My Story: In my youth I was riding my Peugeot U-O8 10-speed, as I had hundreds of times, no hands. Not sure whatever happened on that one occasion… I was riding along smoothly in my home community and the next thing I knew I woke up in the hospital. A concussion, and 2 broken teeth, one of which, a bottom tooth, had going through my upper lip, requiring 6 stitches. To consider how hard I hit, try to get any of your lower teeth anywhere near your upper lip! Once was enough for me. One of my incisor teeth was filed flat on the concrete surface I was apparently catapulted onto face first before I could raise my hands, another tooth was split almost in half.

But I learned a lesson. From that day when I was 16 or 17 years old, I have NEVER ridden a bike without at least one hand on my handlebars since then.

OK, all no hands riders can now tell their stories of how they rode a round-trip of six countries with no hands. More power to you, but it is no longer worth the risk for me. When I see others do it, I just think back to that time waking up in the hospital. No thanks! :wacko: :blush:
You are quite right I am keeping my hands on the handle bars regards.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Try sitting on handlebars and pedalling no handed. That should sort your current balance problems.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
its easy......if you got the bike set-up right you just release your hands and sit up straight and the balance of the bike will be even and off you go, i do it on the cycle path to work when i commute, its all downhill for around 8 miles too. can give the hands and shoulders a good shake out then too

and before you ask im 45, so no spring chicken and the best part of 19st, so no lightweight either

Top Bottom