No hands.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker man

As a oap I hadn't ridden a bike since I was a boy and took to ebikes straight away.When I was a boy we used to show off riding no hands ,I tried it on my ebike and just can't .A friend can't either he thinks it's because we are old .Wonder if anyone knows why.

I think the ease of doing it is connected to the bike geometry
something to do with the way the front forks are angled and pointed and something and something

as you can tell I'm not an expert

but it may be that your old bike when you were a kid just self centred easier than your ebike
I know I would never ride our folder with no hands - my big ebike I can a bit but it is dodgy

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I think the ease of doing it is connected to the bike geometry
something to do with the way the front forks are angled and pointed and something and something

as you can tell I'm not an expert

but it may be that your old bike when you were a kid just self centred easier than your ebike
I know I would never ride our folder with no hands - my big ebike I can a bit but it is dodgy
Yes it gets shaky there is a hill I come down and need to right it hair-raising to put my hand out with my left braking and impatient motorists behind.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
you have to have your weight back over the back wheel and be relaxed, which is dead easy to do as a no fear kid.

if you lean forward with your hands hovering above the bars "just in case" all tense, then it becomes self full filling and you wobble and need to grab the bars.

....So fully commit to no hands and sit up straight and proud, you will either succeed and feel the gay abandonment of youth again, or face plant.

I accept no liability for dental work, death or serous injury should it be the latter.

I once rode, with two mates doing similar, no hands all the way from north oxford, thru the city centre and out to east back home, at least a couple of miles. we were very "relaxed" and the traffic was light. I was on a BMX.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

you have to have your weight back over the back wheel and be relaxed, which is dead easy to do as a no fear kid.

if you lean forward with your hands hovering above the bars "just in case" all tense, then it becomes self full filling and you wobble and need to grab the bars.

....So fully commit to no hands and sit up straight and proud, you will either succeed and feel the gay abandonment of youth again, or face plant.

I accept no liability for dental work, death or serous injury should it be the latter.

I once rode, with two mates doing similar, no hands all the way from north oxford, thru the city centre and out to east back home, at least a couple of miles. we were very "relaxed" and the traffic was light. I was on a BMX.
Don't think I will try it get enough stick as it is .I always signal right if I am turning right,but sometimes the left seems unnecessary turned into a cafe the other day a woman who was behind me turning in blew the horn and shouted I should have signaled what !!!!!

You need a bike with correct steering geometry, some are just wrong.
Then you need a lot of practice at shifting your weight very slightly to balance the bike.
Then you need a body that can bounce off pavements with no long term consequences.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

You need a bike with correct steering geometry, some are just wrong.
Then you need a lot of practice at shifting your weight very slightly to balance the bike.
Then you need a body that can bounce off pavements with no long term consequences.
You don't bounce when you are old just break

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I do it occasionally on a long ride for a stretch if I don't want to stop and only on quiet roads of course.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I could do it as a youngster. On my 1st bone shaker or my shiny new Palm Beach (1960) so I can't see it being the geometry.
As others have said I "think" its a confidence thing as in "do I really want to end up in hospital.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I could do it as a youngster. On my 1st bone shaker or my shiny new Palm Beach (1960) so I can't see it being the geometry.
As others have said I "think" its a confidence thing as in "do I really want to end up in hospital.
Palm Beach I had one of those that's going back a bit.

Top Bottom