No more group ride for me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Have I got this right? various people are citing club runs at 14 or 15 mph as the slower offering that caters for the less fit among us? Well, excuse me, but I'm with the poster who thought his 12.8 mph wasn't bad. There's no way I could keep up with a 14 mph average for more than an hour or so. But, after 25 years of cycling solo or touring with a single friend, I have found the pleasures of group riding through the Fridays. Let's say London to Brighton - 60 miles - midnight to 7 am, less a one hour tea stop - 6 hours, lo and behold, 10 mph average. That's more my sort of thing. So such clubs do exist.
You have to remember the drafting effect, you can easily sit on the back wheel practically freewheeling at speeds you could struggle to do solo .I went on a fast run a few weeks ago and sitting mid pack i was barely pedaling and just getting sucked along a good 2 mph + more than my average would be solo .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
But don't you have to take a turn at the front at some point? Just askin like.
Depends if your up for it and how far up their on behinds the ride leaders are :smile:
Seriously though the general rule of thumb i have seen is that as you get used to riding with a group then you will get more confident /fitter and when you feel you are ready to take a turn at the front then the rest of the riders will appreciate it but its not a necessity.
the club run i rode on today there were (eerrrrr) 8-10 riders and only 3 of us did any real pulling but i enjoy riding at the front and helping others .
A chain gang in full steam ahead mode is different kettle of fish i would imagine but i do not most people putting their toes into the pool of group rides are looking at that option yet ?

Mickthemove

Über Member
Got to say I think you are brave to go on a group ride after only 4 weeks! I still wouldn't go and I have been riding for 14 weeks!

Each week you will improve your averages and soon be cruising at 14-16 mph on the flat by the sound of it!

It's just them blooming hills in n wales that will batter your averages, but stick with it and enjoy

When I started I could not climb hills and averaged about 10 mph on the flat, after 14 weeks I average about 15 on the flat and 10-12 when I get some proper hills involved!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Depends if your up for it and how far up their on behinds the ride leaders are :smile:
Seriously though the general rule of thumb i have seen is that as you get used to riding with a group then you will get more confident /fitter and when you feel you are ready to take a turn at the front then the rest of the riders will appreciate it but its not a necessity.
the club run i rode on today there were (eerrrrr) 8-10 riders and only 3 of us did any real pulling but i enjoy riding at the front and helping others .
Standard etiquette is usually that weaker riders will do short turns and hang back, or indeed hang back entirely. Standard talk this time of year is turning to lights and mudguards. I've suggested that those who turn up to club runs on wet days without guards, should be made to ride 100m in front single line.

Selfish is not the word!

A chain gang in full steam ahead mode is different kettle of fish i would imagine but i do not most people putting their toes into the pool of group rides are looking at that option yet ?
Not a good idea of course but accidents do happen :blush: I'm still hurting from a crash nearly a month ago and I'm no noob!

Doyleyburger

Veteran
If they're not willing to help you then it really is not yourself that is the problem! A proper group should have a few nominated persons that are willing to help and motivate the slightly slower guys. Riding solo is fine, but it will be extremely hard to motivate yourself when there is nobody else riding with you.... Perhaps have a chat with the group and explain your issue. Would be a shame to leave the group...... Besides, group/club rides are great when everybody helps each other.

sreten

No problem I don't mind telling anyone my age. Im 57, and I took up cycling again only four weeks ago after not being on a bike since I was 12.
That's 45 years. Believe it or not the old saying that you nevef forget how to ride a bike is true. However I did wobble about quite a lot the first few times.
Im not very good even now, but I do live in the foothills of the cambrian mountains and it is very hilly around here.

Hi,

You can't really expect after riding for 4 weeks and never ridden a bike as an adult to be anything
other than very slow. You can expect to get quite a bit faster as you get used to it. IMO It quite
unreasonable to turn up for a group ride and expect them to go at a glacial "old bloke, never
really ridden a bike fast, been riding one month" pace, that is simply not on, at any age.

When I first started (at Christmas) I was so slow *. Headwinds and hills were a killer,
and I didn't realise tootling along on the flat or with a tailwind is not the way it is done.
i.e.I now go much faster when its easy that I did when I started, and minor hills and
headwinds are hardly noticed, they just slow down the pace you are going.

50+ (smoke a lot) but I can now maintain ~ 15 mph into a head wind or up a minor hill,
and zip along on the flat on windless day at ~ 19 mph, for miles. Nothing especially
fast but at least its not especially slow. I think going on a group ride its reasonable
courtesy to be in decent shape if 50+, and capable of going the sort of pace you
can go, once you've got some decent training mileage under your belt.

40 miles is a very long way for anyone who has only been riding one month.
I worked up to about 100 miles a week after 3 months and my longest route
is now ~ 35miles with a couple of stops . 40 miles after one month is a lot.

I've never actually done a group ride. Might give it a go soon.

rgds, sreten.

* In one particularly gruelling early encounter with a strong headwind on
my folder, a triathlete type dude could run as fast as I was cycling ....

Last edited:

swansonj

Guru
But don't you have to take a turn at the front at some point? Just askin like.
I once slipstreamed behind you for several miles around Dartford on the way to Whitstable. I felt quite guilty about it, but I also figured that you wouldn't appreciate some random bloke making a big macho point of huffing and puffing just to prove that he could keep in front of the female. Just when I was feeling so guilty that I'd decided to offer to go in front for a bit, you seamlessly sped up and disappeared up the road....

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Have I got this right? various people are citing club runs at 14 or 15 mph as the slower offering that caters for the less fit among us? Well, excuse me, but I'm with the poster who thought his 12.8 mph wasn't bad. There's no way I could keep up with a 14 mph average for more than an hour or so. But, after 25 years of cycling solo or touring with a single friend, I have found the pleasures of group riding through the Fridays. Let's say London to Brighton - 60 miles - midnight to 7 am, less a one hour tea stop - 6 hours, lo and behold, 10 mph average. That's more my sort of thing. So such clubs do exist.

If you want company on rides but also want to ride at your own pace then Audax might suit you.

Small groups tend to form made up of riders with nothing more in common than they happen to ride at a similar speed.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
If they're not willing to help you then it really is not yourself that is the problem! A proper group should have a few nominated persons that are willing to help and motivate the slightly slower guys. Riding solo is fine, but it will be extremely hard to motivate yourself when there is nobody else riding with you.... Perhaps have a chat with the group and explain your issue. Would be a shame to leave the group...... Besides, group/club rides are great when everybody helps each other.
How do you figure? The group joined was clearly too fast, it's not up to them to slow down, it's up to the individual to find/join a group for your ability.

Skipper

If you enjoy going it alone, then stick with it. I always ride alone, mainly because all my friends (not many) are not cyclists. But the other big reason is that I can go as fast or a slow as I like. There's no slowing down to let someone catch up (most frustrating when you're having a good day), and there's no cycling too much in the red zone just to keep up, then feeling depressed about your lack of speed (particularly on bad days).
Call me selfish, but solo rides are great!

Top Bottom