No more group ride for me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I joined my local college bike group and had our first ride today, 40 miles. I am sorry to say that this is the last group ride I will ever do and will stick to riding solo from now on. The reason is simple: I am too slow! Every one was ok but I just can't keep up with them. I know they were all younger than me but I just can't match their cruising speed. When I tried, I was exhausted after a short while and then my speed dropped drastically until I recovered enough to go faster but still at my own speed. So that's it, just me and the bike from now on as we get on alright, at a speed we are both happy with.

mattobrien

Guru
What sort of pace were they 'cruising' at?

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Perhaps there is another group that goes a speed more suited to you? Or you could start your own group?

ScotiaLass

Guru
I joined my local college bike group and had our first ride today, 40 miles. I am sorry to say that this is the last group ride I will ever do and will stick to riding solo from now on. The reason is simple: I am too slow! Every one was ok but I just can't keep up with them. I know they were all younger than me but I just can't match their cruising speed. When I tried, I was exhausted after a short while and then my speed dropped drastically until I recovered enough to go faster but still at my own speed. So that's it, just me and the bike from now on as we get on alright, at a speed we are both happy with.

One of the reasons I will never join a group.
Even when I was fit (and did MTB mainly) I couldn't keep up speed for any sustained distance (unless it was downhill with a tailwind lol)
I'm quite happy on my own although it would be nice to have a biking buddy to ride with :smile:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
One of the reasons I will never join a group.
Even when I was fit (and did MTB mainly) I couldn't keep up speed for any sustained distance (unless it was downhill with a tailwind lol)
I'm quite happy on my own although it would be nice to have a biking buddy to ride with :smile:
Then you weren't as fit as you thought.:whistle:

Some people(not you SL) have very strange expectations of group rides, but rarely expect others to be more capable than they are. WELL DUH!

Any guesses as to why this might be?

Steve H

Large Member
I think it would be a real shame to never ride with a group again, just because one group was faster than you. We all ride at different paces and it's just about finding a group with a pace closer to yours.

Riding with a group is often good company.

First find out what speed you normally ride at when on your own and then look for groups or clubs that have a similar pace.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Any club worth joining should be able to cater for a range of abilities, theclub i ride with has 3 levels of sunday club run ranging from 15 mph -21 mph average as well as a number of rides in the week.
Was the run advertised as a club run or a chain gang ?
Most of our club runs have a no drop policy where we go at the speed that everyone can keep up with except the fast run but that clearly states that after the cake stop its every man for himself.
If your local club does not offer a suitable ride then maybe look at your local ctc as from what i gather they do tend to take in the scenery more .

Paul Gee

I was lucky enough to find a local group who go out for social rides on Sundays. Having recently retired i find the pace they go at suits me fine, and I enjoy the change of riding with a group.

I enjoy riding solo, and now I enjoy riding with a group occasionally, just need a riding buddy and I will have the full set!

Yes I would not much want to ride with any group that I struggled to keep up with, but if you can get a similar speed group you may enjoy it more.

One reason I joined a group was that they may inspire me to continue riding through the colder weather due to start any time now! Otherwise I may just have parked the bike for winter.

Paul

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I don't think I would do well in a group as I'm not very good and certainly not fast, so I am better off on my own although I must admit it would be nice sometimes to have someone to keep me comany. Someone who would also encourage me to do a bit better and maybe to go a bit farther. However there is nothing to be embarrassed about in admitting that you can't keep up. Just go out and enjoy yourself. At my age im not fit enough to be able to join in with any cycling group. but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Ill just carry on pootling along in my own way.

screenman

Legendary Member
My club had about 17 rides out today that I could have gone on and maybe more, most of them only had one or two riders on.

screenman

Legendary Member
I don't think I would do well in a group as I'm not very good and certainly not fast, so I am better off on my own although I must admit it would be nice sometimes to have someone to keep me comany. Someone who would also encourage me to do a bit better and maybe to go a bit farther. However there is nothing to be embarrassed about in admitting that you can't keep up. Just go out and enjoy yourself. At my age im not fit enough to be able to join in with any cycling group. but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Ill just carry on pootling along in my own way.

Out of interest what is your age? Do not answer if you would rather not.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
No problem I don't mind telling anyone my age. Im 57, and I took up cycling again only four weeks ago after not being on a bike since I was 12. That's 45 years. Believe it or not the old saying that you nevef forget how to ride a bike is true. However I did wobble about quite a lot the first few times. Im not very good even now, but I do live in the foothills of the cambrian mountain s and it is very hilly around here.

Hip Priest

Veteran
It might be worth giving another club a try OP. Perhaps a bigger club, with a broader range of abilities. If I went out with the fast young lads from my club I'd definitely struggle to keep up, but there's always another group going at a manageable pace.

Obviously if you prefer to ride solo, that's cool, I'm just giving you some other options.

Top Bottom