No Mow May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Our lawn is embarassing this year

lots of moss over the winter - grassman put mosskilleron it and it has worked
but the grass has not taken over

people to the left and right have ditched their lawns and now that pristine green sections of plastic grass

compared to our bits of grass with brown dead moss in lasrge patches

I don;t like the concept of plastic grass however good it looks - due to the environmental stuff about it all

but I can see why people do it!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
people to the left and right have ditched their lawns and now that pristine green sections of plastic grass
I wonder what you do if a dog or a cat has a poop on it? Especially if it's a sloppy one. I suppose you have to wash it with disinfectant, but does the water drain away, meaning does plastic grass let water pass through its base? 🤔

DRM

Guru

I don;t like the concept of plastic grass however good it looks - due to the environmental stuff about it all

I recall some gardener on tv saying it’s awful stuff as the weeds grow through plastic grass and are a nightmare to get rid of

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
DSC_2790~2.JPG

No Mow May, followed by Jammed up June 😂

Gillstay

Über Member
I think it is to allow wild flower to grow so insects can feed from them

Grass has flowers, is native has insects associated with it. Locks up carbon etc.

Gillstay

Über Member

Your grass man may well be mowing too low in autumn thus favouring the moss and then chemical spraying to compensate when good practise would give you good grass.

Your grass man may well be mowing too low in autumn thus favouring the moss and then chemical spraying to compensate when good practise would give you good grass.

I do the mowing so that would be my fault

Should I mow on higher settin after -sqyid septner?

Or just pay someone who knows 1hat they are doing?

Gillstay

Über Member
I do the mowing so that would be my fault

Should I mow on higher settin after -sqyid septner?

Or just pay someone who knows 1hat they are doing?

Always bear in mind that grass is a long day plant and moss is a short day plant. So moss will do best in winter and grass in summer. So dont weaken your grass in the autumn but leave it long to disadvantage the moss. Only mow very low in early to mid summer when the grass is growing very well. Has worked for 40 yrs for me.

Top Bottom