No Mow May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
No mow May for me; that's my son's chore 😎

Any lawn experts on here??

if you leave it to grow for 4-6 weeks at this time of year does it recover to a better or worse state than it would have been if you mowed it every 2 weeks??

My parents used to know someone who mowed his lawn every other day - and brushed it in between to keep the lines perfect
It made a bowling green look like Anfied in the 70s!!!

Also - I would try it if it grew lots of pretty wild flowers - but I suspect it will just grow a load of dandelions and spread them all round the neighbours! (well not anymore actually as they have recently both replaced all their grass with artificial stuff - but anyway!)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

if you leave it to grow for 4-6 weeks at this time of year does it recover to a better or worse state than it would have been if you mowed it every 2 weeks??

My parents used to know someone who mowed his lawn every other day - and brushed it in between to keep the lines perfect

Also - I would try it if it grew lots of pretty wild flowers - but I suspect it will just grow a load of dandelions and spread them all round the neighbours! (well not anymore actually as they have recently both replaced all their grass with artificial stuff - but anyway!)

Better off cutting when needed, so once a week usually in growing season. Important thing is feeding it. Our back lawn is suffering from winter, so I feed it now. Iron sulphate, cheap as chips on line (unbranded). It will be lush in a month.

Plenty of flowers etc for the bees here. I've 3 smallish lawns at home, front really dry, side is fine, back can retain too much moisture.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Just done my front lawn. Looking nice now the trees are out in full leaf. :okay:
Glad I've got 2 cup holders on my mower - had to stop for a can of cider half way through. :sun:
IMG_20230522_170235540_HDR.jpg

Gillstay

Über Member

If you leave it long now you will have less moss later.

You could grow wildflowers easily unless you have very fertile soil in which case you need to hold the grass back by making the soil poor or planting Yellow Rattle.

If you leave it long now you will have less moss later.

You could grow wildflowers easily unless you have very fertile soil in which case you need to hold the grass back by making the soil poor or planting Yellow Rattle.

Does this mean if I don't mow my lawns at all I will get rid of the moss?

If I get rid of the moss then I'll be nagged about mowing the lawn.

What a quandary. :scratch:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
nc_ohc=yA7dK8Lf8rkAX_TSIno&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

For those with monocular vision like myself, that uncut grass is a problem when trying to work out the distance of the approaching vehicle(s). The road is supposed to be 30 mph, but I see some take that slight bend in the road where I took that photo, doing about 40 mph.

View attachment 692923

For those with monocular vision like myself, that uncut grass is a problem when trying to work out the distance of the approaching vehicle(s). The road is supposed to be 30 mph, but I see some take that slight bend in the road where I took that photo, doing about 40 mph.

SOmetimes they deliberately leave areas to grow longer to force drivers to slow down so they can see and hence go round corners - or join roundabouts etc) slower
of course - this assumes responsible drivers!!!

Top Bottom