No one would have believed that minds immeasurably superior....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Bagsy the blue planet with the triple-breasted purple dudes

I'm only going to take issue with one word of that sentence...you seem to have missed the fundamental concept behind "dude".

;)

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
No but a pretty bizarre system if the evidence is being interpreted correctly.

A system around the size of Jupiter and its moons, seven planets in the habitable zone, and a star on a ten trillion year life cycle.

Could be a good spot to move to before our sun scales up and swallows the earth.
Agreed, I think it's a long trip though, I'll pack some extra pants and socks.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

BTW, classic album, catch the stage show if you can - awesome!.
having listened to it about a million times as a child... than having to put up with all those bog-awful eurotrance mixes of the main theme.... I'd rather pluck out my liver with a desert spoon than listen to WotW again.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
There have been mysterious signals intercepted from space. Scientists have observed a star dimming inexplicably, unless a species of advanced alien life are extracting energy from it. And how is the government dealing with this threat? Where is the fleet of armed space cruisers?

There have been mysterious signals intercepted from space. Scientists have observed a star dimming inexplicably, unless a species of advanced alien life are extracting energy from it. And how is the government dealing with this threat? Where is the fleet of armed space cruisers?

I'll fire the Death Star up

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I think there is a serious ethical issue here. NASA has spent on average $16 billion per year on space exploration. It's great news that there might be other life out there, but lets face it, they're not going to be humanoid and/or capable of communicating with us I doubt, and they'd be so far away that by the time they'd received our e-mail they would all be dead! I know we are supposed to explore and learn, but some things just seem too far out of reach (literally) to be of any future benefit. I doubt they will find a cure for Cancer lurking on these planets.

Can't some things remain a mystery? I totally get the idea of "nothing ventured, nothing gained" and I appreciate all of the research and findings that have come about as a result of research and exploration. But it's just too far away.

Tin Pot

Guru
I think there is a serious ethical issue here. NASA has spent on average $16 billion per year on space exploration. It's great news that there might be other life out there, but lets face it, they're not going to be humanoid and/or capable of communicating with us I doubt, and they'd be so far away that by the time they'd received our e-mail they would all be dead! I know we are supposed to explore and learn, but some things just seem too far out of reach (literally) to be of any future benefit. I doubt they will find a cure for Cancer lurking on these planets.

Can't some things remain a mystery? I totally get the idea of "nothing ventured, nothing gained" and I appreciate all of the research and findings that have come about as a result of research and exploration. But it's just too far away.

Yes, the cure for cancer can remain a mystery - we need to get to the stars.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm always slightly miffed that any consideration of "alien life" is completely based on humanoids. So basically a planet can only be considered a possible for life if there's water on it; if it's temperature range is the same as earth etc. It seems very narrow minded for people who are meant to be really intelligent.

And consider Douglas Adams' view point that if there is an infinite number of planets, a planet inhabited by walking mattresses changes from a possibility to a certainty.

Top Bottom