No overtaking lines...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
You know the double white lines in the middle of roads which means no overtaking, do they mean 'no overtaking at all'?

A car overtook me last night on the hump of a bridge and narrowly missed an oncoming car here.

What's the rule? I'd be tempted to overtake a cyclist on such a road if I was driving and it was safe...but not on a bridge like that, though.

davidwalton

As far as I am aware, double white lines in the middle of the road mean they should not be driven over, except in emergencies to avoid an accident.

They would also indicate no parking, if to pass a parked vehicle would mean going over the double white lines.

You can overtake where there are double lines, but only if you can stay on your side, and do so safely, I believe.

wafflycat

Here you go:-

Highway Code Rule 129

"Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26]"

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks for the replies. Looks like the driver was OK to do what he did, but not wise to do it on the bridge.

wafflycat

Bear in mind that when motoring, you should only overtake when safe to do so..

Highway Code rule 163

"Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should
  • not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
  • use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
  • not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
  • move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in
dg_070531.jpg

• take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance
  • give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road
  • only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
  • stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left
  • give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)
Remember: Mirrors – Signal – Manoeuvre"

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Bollo said:
Rule 129. You're allowed to overtake anything that's doing less than 10mph.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070306

I think this topic came up during the Cadden case, were the police failed to stop the many drivers that overtook him, even though he was doing about 25-30mph.

Bu33er! Beaten to it

Not any vehicle doing less than 10mph, only: "a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less"

I have a bit of road like this, the A233 after the Downe RAB. I'm always getting cars overtaking me when I'm doing more than 10mph. To be honest, I don't care very much providing it's a safe overtake.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
wafflycat said:
Here you go:-

Highway Code Rule 129

"Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26]"

I think part of the problem is that many drivers misinterpret the if necessary bit of the rule. They seem to be under the impression that reducing their overall journey time by 5 seconds, is a an absolute necessity...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hairy Jock said:
I think part of the problem is that many drivers misinterpret the if necessary bit of the rule. They seem to be under the impression that reducing their overall journey time by 5 seconds, is a an absolute necessity...

Spot on. For many people, in so many aspects of life, not just driving, 'if necessary' means 'if you want to'...

andygates

The driver was an idiot to overtake at that point. Cretins like that need to hit something stationary before they hurt some poor bastard coming the other way. >:smile:

That's why the white lines are there: they say "it is dangerous to overtake here. Don't do it."

Pete

I've had a car (two cars actually) overtake me on a level crossing :smile:. Level crossings always have double white lines along the roadway and for good reason! I think I was doing just over 10mph at the time but in any case, overtaking in any circumstances on a L/C is well dodgy! If I'd been forced to swerve I could have had a wheel in the rails.... and a collision which elsewhere might be a minor 'shunt' - on a L/C it could be a major disaster...

I think L/Cs should be reinforced by special no overtaking signs, meaning just that: no overtaking by anyone of anything, even if stationary. If someone's stationary on a L/C there's a problem coming up anyway!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Funnily enough last night I went past the bit I mentioned last night, there are currently roadworks with temporary traffic lights. Just ahead of me, a car stopped on the orange light, and the three cars behind him overtook and went through. Naughty swine!!!

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Permit me to be my usual pedantic self but I think they should make a few changes to Rule 129 from

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

to:-

a} Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road.
b)You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear and it is safe to do so, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Reasons - Rule 129 covers two points- Point a) refers to turning right and ;) refers to overtaking. Also the underlined phrase; the road may be clear but may not be safe to overtake.

Top Bottom