" No respect"-Impatient motorists slammed by police after fatal crash in Colne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Around 20 years ago I fell off a motorcycle in icy conditions (low speed thankfully!) turning at a T junction.

Not one car driver got out to ask if I was ok and they started driving round the side of the bike to get passed, while I was still laid out on the floor..

Seems nothing has changed over the years.

hatler

Guru
I've just added a comment.

1. Accy Cyclist says:
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    25/09/2016 at 11:50 am
    Get off your fat arses and walk for a change. Instead of thinking you have a right to drive where you want, and that everybody should get out your way and not delay your precious journey!

Comment On This Idea
Not awaiting moderation any more. Cool.

On the charity ride I was leading the weekend before last, when we were going round a bend near Epping one of the young lads at the back touched his rear brake too hard and came off, and as a precaution we called an ambulance (ended up only being bruises and discharged after a couple of hours). Whilst the ambulance was there, completely blocking the road, a DPD driver was really desperate to drive through and just didn't want to divert and he had to be shouted at, to back off.

It's very disheartening to realise just how little some people care about anyone else and think their right to drive everywhere is of paramount importance.

Gixxerman

Guru
A few years back, there was a man threatening to jump from a high foot bridge over Broadgate in Lincoln. So the police sensibly stopped traffic on both sides of the dual carriageway as they attempted to negoatiate with the poor chap. As this is a major throughfare in the city, the traffic chaos was immence. After some considerable time some people got out of their cars and were heard to be shouting at the guy to "get on with it" and "hurry up" etc. The police had to tell them to get back in their cars and STFU. Happily, the situation was resolved sucessfully and the man was taken away in an ambulance.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I recently approached what was a very unpleasant RTC at a set of crossroads in a rural part of NE Fife. Officers from Police Scotland had closed the road some 100 meters from the incident and were advising drivers to turn around using the entrance to a farm.

This would have meant a fairly long detour of about 10 miles for me so I asked the Officer if I could travel over the crossroads on foot keeping well away from the emergency services. The Officer said I could but would have to wait for about 15 minutes while fire service finished assisting the para medic's, which I thought was reasonable so I sat on the grass verge and waited.

In the 15 minutes or so I was waiting 7 or 8 vehicles approached and I witnessed at least 2 drivers shout abuse at the officer because they where being 'inconvenienced,' one expressed mild frustration but did not swear and one displayed complete and utter indifference. The officer commented that he should have given the indifferent motorist a 'tug' and tested him for 'drug' driving as the rest displayed behaviour he considered the norm.
I usually just ask politely if a cycle can get past. Usually it's a "Yes if you walk it on the opposite pavement", a couple of times I've had a "No sorry you'll need to follow the diversion". I've never seen the point of arguing the toss with emergency services, they've usually got better things to be doing.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
The only time it happened to me I was not allowed through and had to do a diversion of several miles. But it was on a country lane with high hedges that was not much wider than a car, so there probably was no room even to wheel a bike past without getting in the way of whoever was dealing with it. No idea what had happened, just that the police were blocking the lane.

Top Bottom