" No respect"-Impatient motorists slammed by police after fatal crash in Colne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACS

Legendary Member
I recently approached what was a very unpleasant RTC at a set of crossroads in a rural part of NE Fife. Officers from Police Scotland had closed the road some 100 meters from the incident and were advising drivers to turn around using the entrance to a farm.

This would have meant a fairly long detour of about 10 miles for me so I asked the Officer if I could travel over the crossroads on foot keeping well away from the emergency services. The Officer said I could but would have to wait for about 15 minutes while fire service finished assisting the para medic's, which I thought was reasonable so I sat on the grass verge and waited.

In the 15 minutes or so I was waiting 7 or 8 vehicles approached and I witnessed at least 2 drivers shout abuse at the officer because they where being 'inconvenienced,' one expressed mild frustration but did not swear and one displayed complete and utter indifference. The officer commented that he should have given the indifferent motorist a 'tug' and tested him for 'drug' driving as the rest displayed behaviour he considered the norm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
This happened to me. I and the paramedics were getting soaked by cars driving past as I was being immobilised. Nobody gives a poop these days. The paramedics were nearly knocked over

When i was knocked off last year, i got up off the ground to see about 15 bystanders taking pictures or filming me.:thumbsdown:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Agree with @Tin Pot - do not go past on the road (though sympathise with your dilemma, 110 miles into a ride). They'll have closed it for a very good reason. Normally there'll be an officer reinforcing the 'absolute no go' with his/her presence (or say 'yes, you can cycle through'). But they may have been pushed for manpower. When I've come on a road closed closed (for a post very bad (assume fatal) accident activity/clear-up measure-up) I've tracked back, got into the adjacent field and walked round the other side of the hedge, before cutting back to the road and getting on my way. If there'd been a reasonable diversion I'd have taken that, though of course bear in mind that all the traffic will be going that way, both ways, as well.

Fancy supporting this petition:

Stop police closing roads to investigate accidents

When there is a serious accident, the police have, over the last few years, started closing the road, often causing delays of several hours for the motorists caught in the tail-back. This did not happen in the past and doesn't seem to happen in other countries

Why does this matter?
With the delays of hours, or with motorists being forced onto roads they don’t know, and are unsure of where to go, the drivers are stressed to get to their destination in time. Accidents are far more likely to happen on non-motorways, especially when lost and behind schedule. Local traffic and pedestrians have the extra delays because of the diverted vehicles, and are at more risk of accidents also. All this extra risk to bring possible prosecutions which will do nothing to reduce accidents in the future. This policy is poorly thought out and counter-productive.

Then read the comments, one has to despair

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Fancy supporting this petition:

Then read the comments, one has to despair

I've just added a comment.

1. Accy Cyclist says:
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    25/09/2016 at 11:50 am
    Get off your fat arses and walk for a change. Instead of thinking you have a right to drive where you want, and that everybody should get out your way and not delay your precious journey!

Comment On This Idea

vickster

Legendary Member
All started with Thatcher
Don't you mean Henry Ford?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Similar happened to my last November, the drivers wouldn't stop and were getting dangerously close to the paramedics whilst I was braced on my back. They did eventually get the road closed when the police arrived.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Similar happened to my last November, the drivers wouldn't stop and were getting dangerously close to the paramedics whilst I was braced on my back. They did eventually get the road closed when the police arrived.

I bet the gits were rubbernecking or whatever they call it? Just imagine the stress caused when you're down on the deck wacking it, wondering if you'll live, walk again or be in a wheel chair for the rest of your life and some dick is there invading your privacy so that he/she can put on Twatter Hey guess what i witnessed today?!:tongue:

:angry:

I bet the gits were rubbernecking or whatever they call it? Just imagine the stress caused when you're down on the deck wacking it, wondering if you'll live, walk again or be in a wheel chair for the rest of your life and some dick is there invading your privacy so that he/she can put on Twatter Hey guess what i witnessed today?!:tongue:

:angry:

Would be debatable over the legality

There is the reasonable expectation of privacy

If you are unwell injured or undergoing treatment then it would not be unreasonable to expect privacy....... then go for the muppet who beached your privacy

T4tomo

Legendary Member
At the time I was about 110 miles into a solo 130 mile ride not making excuses just setting the scene. It had just got dark and cold .sitting on the grass for hours wasnt an option.a diversion could have added 20 or 30 miles that I didnt have in the tank.
By going round the outside of the vehicles and up the offside gutter I felt I skirted the scene rather than went through it.

Had any of the police stopped me I would have gone back without complaining.

I think people hassling the emergency services in that situation should be locked up but my actions didnt have any impact on what was going on.

It was a judgement call at the
Time.If I came across it early in the ride I probably would have turned around and gone back to the start.

PS with the benefit of an armchair and a laptop I have just realised a fairly short diversion was an option.
To be fair, you weren't impeding the emergency services getting on with their work, nor putting them at risk from injury, which are the primary reasons for closing then road, so I think you were OK to do as you did.

Top Bottom