No wonder..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Sorry but originally, it is the cyclists riding two a breast and not moving to a file that is causing the obstruction. Traffic coming the other way is not to blame. The OP also said that one rider is so far out that it is like 3 across. Surely, that is wrong.
Just remind me what the highway code says about overtaking cyclists? Oh yes, leave as much room as you would for a car. Would you over take a car into oncoming traffic? So why do you think it's ok to overtake cyclists in such a manner, given their vulnerability to the environment around them (pot holes, gusts of wind, etc. etc)

screenman

Legendary Member
I expect other vehicles to be on my side of the raod on blind bends in this fine county, for this reason I approach them with care, now sportive season is upon us it is not unusual to find a large group spread all the way across the road on said bends.

Some cyclists are idiot's, as are some of almost any group of people.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
No different to being behind a tractor. Not all are JCB Fastracs or similar.
Other than in winter, a farmer about a mile away rides the local roads in a pony and trap, a couple of times day. Interestingly, drivers using the village as a cut through, seem to treat him and his horse with far more respect that the many cyclists who come this way.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I know the road in question - parts of it are double white lined, and a significant number of drivers don't know the rules that apply to double white lines so will sit behind you fuming when they could easily and safely overtake...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No wonder motorists hate cyclists.This morning i took a bus ride to Otley,i had a little bit of shopping to do,and i needed to get back home early.So on Otley Road,the bus gets behind five cyclists. […]
OK, I'll bite: where exactly on Otley Road do you think it would be safe to overtake single file cyclists without moving into the next lane?

classic33

Leg End Member
OK, I'll bite: where exactly on Otley Road do you think it would be safe to overtake single file cyclists without moving into the next lane?
It'd depend on which Otley Road. The A660, A65, A659 or A6038?

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
No wonder motorists hate cyclists.This morning i took a bus ride to Otley,i had a little bit of shopping to do,and i needed to get back home early.So on Otley Road,the bus gets behind five cyclists.Not going fast and talking to each other.They are lined up two across two across behind and one single.But the trouble is the second pair,the outside rider is so far out it looks like three across.Now cars are between us,and they have trouble getting past,lots of traffic coming the otherway.Now the guy in the second pair on the outside looks over his shoulder looks at the driver,and then continues with his conversation with his mates,in my opinion he was out of order,it would not have harmed him or his mates to go single file,and let the bus pass.Nil points to a group of cycling dickheads.
Disagree completely. Nothing wrong with cyclists riding side by side for a while to have a chat. We have as much right to use road space as the bus. In fact more considering we aren't belching out disease-causing diesel fumes. People these days need to chill out and slow down, it's not the end of the world if you are stuck behind a few cyclists for a while.

[QUOTE 5234916, member: 9609"]there's some funny buggers out there. I had a driver in a couple of weeks ago; had to follow a few cyclists for a couple of miles on a single track road, what is wrong with them? probably some of the best cycling roads any where in the UK, you can easily go 4 or 5 mile without seeing another vehicle, ride along enjoying the beauty of the place, listening to skyarks,Lapwings and curlews, but these halfwits, presumably in some show of "we're entitled", would rather ride along at 10 bastarding miles per hour with two 44 ton logging trucks up their jacksee's. - unbelievable, wtf is wrong with some of these clowns, just pull into the side for 30 seconds and let others get on with their day.[/QUOTE]
Can't do that. It would lower their average speed !

Lonestar

Veteran
No wonder motorists hate cyclists.

I'm feeling the brunt of this...apart from a bloke at work having a go at me because cyclists don't use cycle lanes...(more than once a cycle related rant)
Now we just ignore each other but it's so childish...it all is.

Yesterday I got close passed by a BMW coming at we down a side street saw me and accelerated towards me before I had a chance to pull into the parked cars and I was on the fixie so it was a bit of a hairy moment There is no excuse for these sorts of behaviour and bullying but I'm afraid that's the way society is going if it isn't there already...This happened on the same road of which it happened two weeks ago Carnavon Road Stratford...don't think I've had any of these sort of punishment passes recently...probably because I held them up for two seconds....I don't answer for the way other cyclists behave and I feel I shouldn't be punished just because other cyclists can't be bothered to follow the road rules...I think motorists having a "hate" is a dangerous state of mind for other road users.

I don't have a "hate" for pedestrians just because they can be a pain in the posterior sometimes because my responsibility is to avoid them and read what they will be doing next.Some are fine but sometimes some don't look.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Disagree completely. Nothing wrong with cyclists riding side by side for a while to have a chat. We have as much right to use road space as the bus. In fact more considering we aren't belching out disease-causing diesel fumes. People these days need to chill out and slow down, it's not the end of the world if you are stuck behind a few cyclists for a while.

What is your opinion of cyclists on the wrong side of the road on blind bends.

screenman

Legendary Member
Wouldn't do it myself but sometimes riders like to do it to see what's coming. I don't think that cyclists are always without fault but that the onus should be on the least vunerable road user.

So riding on the wrong side of a bend on a blind corner helps you see more, keep left, keep left and keep left was what my police motorcycle instructor use to tell me.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Since motorcycles have been mentioned, is it worth pointing out to the "use as much of the road as you want" cyclists that not everything that wants to make slightly quicker progress than you is as big as a car?
Another point - passing a cyclist and giving the same amount of space as you would give a car is subjective. Some cyclists I know seem to think this means that a car should be completely on the other side of the centre line of the road when passing, which is bollox. When passing a car at 60 mph, how much space is there between the cars? Probably about a metre. I wouldn't be a happy cyclist if a car moving at 60 mph passed me with only a metre of space; but at 30 mph it would be fine. I am just finding that a small minority of cyclists are getting themselves stressed by passes that are not close. Some of the passes I've seen on YouTube, labeled as close passes, are anything but... IMHO of course.

Top Bottom