No wonder..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
[QUOTE 5234925, member: 9609"]the point being, why go some where quiet, remote and perfect for cycling, then ride along getting in the way of the only couple of vehicles you may see all afternoon. :wacko:[/QUOTE]
Ok, got you, but the op is set in a city :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Another point - passing a cyclist and giving the same amount of space as you would give a car is subjective. Some cyclists I know seem to think this means that a car should be completely on the other side of the centre line of the road when passing, which is bollox.
Not exactly. On almost all single carriageway roads, a car will need to cross the centre line partly to give the 1.5m safe pass, so seeing as you've got to wait for a gap in the next lane anyway, why not move fully into it? It's just rude not to.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not exactly. On almost all single carriageway roads, a car will need to cross the centre line partly to give the 1.5m safe pass, so seeing as you've got to wait for a gap in the next lane anyway, why not move fully into it? It's just rude not to.
How many times do you see a car been overtaken with less than 1·5 metres?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Also nil points to the cyclist who sailed through a red light on Sunday morning. I was stopped in my car. I beeped him - he stuck his fingers up at me and told me to f my granny. Lycra w@nker.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Also nil points to the cyclist who sailed through a red light on Sunday morning. I was stopped in my car. I beeped him - he stuck his fingers up at me and told me to f my granny. Lycra w@nker.
Did you put on your blue flashing lights?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What is your opinion of cyclists on the wrong side of the road on blind bends.

I'd think they were after earning themselves a Darwin award. And my hunch is they're likely to come off worst if there is a bus coming the other way.

There's a blind bend just down the hill from me. I frequently experience idiot motorists overtaking me on the bend, despite the double white lines. The road was closed for several hours recently when an idiot overtaking on the bend did actually encounter a bus coming the other way. Judging by the state of the front end of the bus, the car must have been going quite fast. I think the driver lived but they had to call out the air ambulance, which was the first I knew of the incident - hearing the chopper landing in the neighbour's field at around 11.30pm.

All I can say is that it's some kind of divine retribution that it was a bus coming the other way. And I'm glad it wasn't a cyclist - although I have nearly been taken out several times by cars overtaking coming in the other direction round that bend. Some people just don't get it. If they do it on a bike, at least it's only themselves they're putting in danger.

winjim

Smash the cistern
No - they don't work when I have my roof down.
No, I suppose they wouldn't.

How does the system work with this sort of thing, anyway? Do you need to report it to your superiors immediately and fill out a load of paperwork, or is it only if somebody makes a complaint?

Never pull into single file to let someone past, not even on a single track road. On a standard road, if they can’t get past without taking to the opposite carriageway, they can’t get past. Even in single file, the motorist still has to give you 3 feet (1.5 meters ) clearance ( They often don’t ) so a single line of riders in ‘primary’ will still need the motorist to take to the opposite carriageway, but if the cyclists are in a single line, it will be longer, and increase the motorists’s T.E.D. So many people don’t get this fact, it’s amazing. On a single track road, find a passing place, and stop out of the way.

Rooster1

No, I suppose they wouldn't.

How does the system work with this sort of thing, anyway? Do you need to report it to your superiors immediately and fill out a load of paperwork, or is it only if somebody makes a complaint?

I think blatant disregard for the rules and laws of the road followed by loutish and obscene behavior usually get discussed weekly at the team meetings.

Rooster1

I think blatant disregard for the rules and laws of the road followed by loutish and obscene behavior usually get discussed weekly at the team meetings.

You take issue with my actions but make no comment about your friends actions ?

classic33

Leg End Member
Never pull into single file to let someone past, not even on a single track road. On a standard road, if they can’t get past without taking to the opposite carriageway, they can’t get past. Even in single file, the motorist still has to give you 3 feet (1.5 meters ) clearance ( They often don’t ) so a single line of riders in ‘primary’ will still need the motorist to take to the opposite carriageway, but if the cyclists are in a single line, it will be longer, and increase the motorists’s T.E.D. So many people don’t get this fact, it’s amazing. On a single track road, find a passing place, and stop out of the way.
You're out on the feet to metres conversion.
CAM00920-1.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
Well I'm sure you'll be able to justify it so don't worry too much. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though.

Top Bottom