Nod and smile ratio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
I did get a cheery "Hello" from an old boy on a shiny red full sus mountainbike, SMOKING A SHERLOCK HOLMES PIPE this morning !!!

cool.gif

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
i need a pipe then

to go with me baggy lycra

Norm

i have some lycra, but i bought it with this lump around my waist, im thinking of taking it back for a flat one
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I have several items from the same manufacturer. :biggrin:

I didn't realise until earlier today that a distractingly beautiful young lady who says "Morning" looks very similar to a distractingly beautiful young lady who is blowing a kiss.

Fortunately, I realised before I'd turned round to follow her or it could have ended disastrously.

I say this because, whilst almost all cyclists seem to respond to a greeting, she was the first person in many months to have initiated the greeting.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
I say a cheery "Mornin' " or "Af'ernoon" to every cyclist I see when I'm out, from Lurca roadies to sweaty BSOers. And why not, share the love man, share the love.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
yes Norm, i think theres a bad batch of lycra going round since xmas. i always wear lycra to stop wind resistance, then cover it with a large baggy t-shirt to hide the bulge

not daft me norm

Wardy

I guess there will be an element who think that "I don't nod or wave to people when I'm driving or walking, so why should it be different for cyclists?" I must say that I get acknowledgement from a variety of cyclists irrespective of whether I'm on my road bike or hybrid. I just feel that those who don't bother can't be bothered and would be the same whether or not they cycled.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I find more give nods than not. The 'Boy racers' tend not to notice but they are trying too hard to get a hernia. The rest, whether roadie or mtb always seem to acknowledge a wave or a nod
thumbsup.png

gbb

Legendary Member
I guage who i nod to by quickly assessing if they're an 'enthusaist'. BOBs (blokes on bikes who dont appear to have any interest in their bike) don't get a nod because they have no affinity with you, they'll wonder what the hell you're nodding at. Thats a sweeping generalisation, but you cant stop and check every one, so you just make a quick assessment. Sometimes i'll get it wrong and appear haughty, but i counter that by nodding to just about anyone else from roadies, serious MTBers to old men and ladies on countryside rides.
Some will nod or say hello, some won't. Their loss, not mine. I'll stay cheery and welcoming and keep nodding.

And there you make a huge distinction...people on countryside rides tend to be 'enthusiastic' cyclists, but commuting in town is different. There's a whole swathe of people out there to whom the bike is just a mode of transport and commuting is done as a neccessity, not because they love bikes or have an affinity with you. Generally the only people i nod to when commuting are roadbike riders or perhaps guys on expensive bikes. Not out of any snobbery, believe me.

Just a point..not all motorcyclists nod either. A colleague was a serious motorcyclist. He HATED it when other guys waved or nodded. Who the hell are they, they don't know me, i don't know them, fcuk em. But then he's a very...'inward looking' fella, if you know what i mean.

potsy

Rambler
I've been getting a few nods off the roadie boys lately, they must see my bike before they see me
biggrin.gif

I'd say the people least likely to nod/wave are female cyclists, in my experience anyway.
I will glance at an oncoming cyclist and reply if they nod, but don't often initiate it, I'm far too shy for that :blush:

C

chillyuk

I get acknowledged by a lot more by roadies since leaving my hybrid at home and switching to a road bike. However I must be as far from a roadie in both size and performance that it is possible to get. Personally I share a greeting with anyone I meet on the road, whatever they are riding.

Wardy

I find that I get acknowledgement from a variety of cyclists whether I'm on my road bike or hybrid. I think perhaps there are people who just can't be bothered irrespective of whether they are cyclists or not.

I say hello to everyone but there are some ignorant gits out there :angry: Last summer i passed two large ladies who were struggling so bad i asked them to pull over because their saddles were so low,they did and i adjusted the seat height for them and told them not to ride useing your instep,they could not beleive how much better their bikes felt and i went on my way feeling that i had put a little good into the cycling world :rolleyes: . I had my lycra on and was riding my Pinarello and inhabit the top of the food chain but we are all cyclists :hello: .
Mike.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I'd say the people least likely to nod/wave are female cyclists, in my experience anyway.

You've never ridden the same roads as me then Potsy ;)
If i'm out with my Bubs, on MummyBike then we shout a very loud & cheery Hello to everyone, Cain loves waving & saying Hi to people.
If i'm out on my own, I tend to be going a little bit faster & putting in some serious effort, in that case i just smile, some may mistake it for a grimace, but it's defo a smile & give a nod

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have never ignored a nod or wave from another rider. I don't always initiate it but I always respond. I find riding in the hills people tend to be friendlier, while out on the plain the team kit carbon roadies seem to be unable to raise a greeting. I ride a road bike, wear lycra and ride at a good pace. The worst perpetrators tend to be the sky gb team. I reckon they respond in a 1:20 ratio. Mind you I suppose they have every right to be a little arrogant.

Bayerd

Über Member
I do similar to gbb, as with other things, a lot is about context. To give an example, the other day me and the missus took a walk along the canal near home. Without fail every person we passed said hello, sometimes they were first to speak, sometimes we were but it felt normal to do so. I wouldn't dream of saying hello to everybody in central Manchester during rush hour whilst walking to the office.

Top Bottom