Nod and smile ratio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bongofury66

Simply put and being a grumply pld git - I smile at all cyclists and If I receive no acknowledgement or return smile , I just think tw*t.

Sorry

exbfb

I consider myself to be at the bottom of the food chain. I nod and greet everyone, pedestrians as well.
We're all pedestrians really at heart.
Be nice to everyone, you'll get it back some day somehow.

bongofury66

Absolutely - it does not take much in this world to make each other feel valued.

The bicycle was supposed to be the utilitarian leveller for all people..........sad to see that we can have the..... my bike is better and lighter than yours etc mentality. Leave that for the car drivers eh.
I consider myself to be at the bottom of the food chain. I nod and greet everyone, pedestrians as well.
We're all pedestrians really at heart.
Be nice to everyone, you'll get it back some day somehow.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Today I got a nod, a glare, a raise of a left hand, a 'good morning', and 'that hill's a killer' :thumbsup: I mostly nod, sometimes shout 'mornin' if it's a morning ride...

ACS

Legendary Member
Living in NE Fife where meeting another cyclists is an 'event' and Silly Commuter Racing is almost unheard of (students don't count) I acknowledge all vulnerable road users, horse riders, runners, peds, bin men, MTB riders :whistle:.

I have even started winding up the motons by smiling at them and shouting loudly 'Thank you' as they try to squeeze past me on the single track road which takes me over my favorite hill.

Some wave back, some scowl, others just shake their heads because I have disturbed their telephone conversation.

bongofury66

I do find that most cyclists respond to a smile or a wave but that doing the same to motorists can freak them out.....................hoorah.

I agree with a previous post.......we all start out as pedestrians.
Living in NE Fife where meeting another cyclists is an 'event' and Silly Commuter Racing is almost unheard of (students don't count) I acknowledge all vulnerable road users, horse riders, runners, peds, bin men, MTB riders :whistle:.

I have even started winding up the motons by smiling at them and shouting loudly 'Thank you' as they try to squeeze past me on the single track road which takes me over my favorite hill.

Some wave back, some scowl, others just shake their heads because I have disturbed their telephone conversation.

400bhp

Guru
I guage who i nod to by quickly assessing if they're an 'enthusaist'. BOBs (blokes on bikes who dont appear to have any interest in their bike) don't get a nod because they have no affinity with you, they'll wonder what the hell you're nodding at. Thats a sweeping generalisation, but you cant stop and check every one, so you just make a quick assessment. Sometimes i'll get it wrong and appear haughty, but i counter that by nodding to just about anyone else from roadies, serious MTBers to old men and ladies on countryside rides.
Some will nod or say hello, some won't. Their loss, not mine. I'll stay cheery and welcoming and keep nodding.

And there you make a huge distinction...people on countryside rides tend to be 'enthusiastic' cyclists, but commuting in town is different. There's a whole swathe of people out there to whom the bike is just a mode of transport and commuting is done as a neccessity, not because they love bikes or have an affinity with you. Generally the only people i nod to when commuting are roadbike riders or perhaps guys on expensive bikes. Not out of any snobbery, believe me.

Agree with that.

It's what I grew up with-when I was out riding with a club in my teens.

There's some ignorant ones though :sad:

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Yeah good idea ......no one will know if you scowl at night

lol
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom