Nod and smile ratio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
being a previous motorcycle rider i am used to nodding to other bikers. This doesn't really seem to happen with cyclists, is it not the way??

i was behind a professional looking cyclist at the lights, he turned round, i smiled and nodded , he looked me up and down and turned round. IS it my hybrid with mudgaurds etc? is it snobery or just not whats done?

WWhen i pass casual cyclist they tend to nod more frequently.

Id say the ratio of nodding and smiling per cyclist passed is thus:

Casual cyclist 1:2

Pro looking cyclist 1:7

Combined 1:4

What do you consider the nod to not nod ratio and what is your kit like. We may unearth a pattern

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
I got a nod from practically every roadie out on my ride this morning, but virtually none from ignorant gits on MTBs
whistling.gif

I always wave, say hello or nod.

TVC

This is often discussed, there is an apparent food chain at work. Lycra louts on their full carbon flying machines are at the top (I'm one BTW), and it works all the way down to fat blokes on BSOs who ride to work because they can't afford a car.

Acknowledgement from another rider depends on how many steps they perceive you are below them in the food chain, so your ratio looks about right.

Many might deny that this is the case, or in fact that they are the exception, but it's true.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
i gave a really big smile to a roady the other day, he didnt smile back, i tried to chase him, had to stop after 100 yards, out of puff

Globalti

Legendary Member
An excellent analysis, VC. However you're wrong on one count; I nod and greet ALL cyclists in the knowledge that the further down the chain they are the more encouraged they will feel at being acknowledged by a cyclist as obviously cool and serious as me. C'est pour encourager les autres, dontcha know?.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
This is often discussed, there is an apparent food chain at work. Lycra louts on their full carbon flying machines are at the top (I'm one BTW), and it works all the way down to fat blokes on BSOs who ride to work because they can't afford a car.

Acknowledgement from another rider depends on how many steps they perceive you are below them in the food chain, so your ratio looks about right.

Many might deny that this is the case, or in fact that they are the exception, but it's true.

so im to learn my place?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
An excellent analysis, VC. However you're wrong on one count; I nod and greet ALL cyclists in the knowledge that the further down the chain they are the more encouraged they will feel at being acknowledged by a cyclist as obviously cool and serious as me. C'est pour encourager les autres, dontcha know?.

dont know what you said but it looks cool so ill agree

TVC

Told you someone would claim to be the exception
whistling.gif
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
i had lycra long before a bike, not my choice, the wife like it
biggrin.gif

i have some lycra, but i bought it with this lump around my waist, im thinking of taking it back for a flat one

TVC

i had lycra long before a bike, not my choice, the wife like it
biggrin.gif

i have some lycra, but i bought it with this lump around my waist, im thinking of taking it back for a flat one

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 28
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 36
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif