Nod and smile ratio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mog35

On sunday I came across many other cyclists out in the country lanes - roadies with all the gear, old(er) folks just trundling about, people on BSOs, you name it. I nearly always say 'hi' or 'good morning' and nearly always get a cheery reply in return, no matter what they're riding.

Very pleasant, and nice to see so many people out enjoying their rides.

Occasionally I won't get any acknowledgement, but it's not the end of the world, and I'm sure they have their reasons.

Chutzpah

Über Member
I felt a bit sorry for the lady coming up a huge hill out of Bath this morning. It's one that I don't enjoy too much, and she had a child behind her on a bike seat. Without thinking I said a cheery "good morning!" with a smile, and to her credit she managed to take a deep breath and get out a "morning" as I went past.

I'm one for saying hi or at least smiling to everyone. I'm on a hybrid but most people respond, even roadies. But then I do a lot of cycling in country lanes, and people always seem more responsive in them then in town. If anything the least likely to is people that seem to have only jumped on a BSO from the shed on a whim.
What is the thing to do when overtaking someone, in particular climbing a steep hill?

Everything I can think of seems arrogant or patronising :blush:

I usually say either "Nice day for it" like LosingFocus or "we must be mad" if the weather is bad. People usually respond quite well. I'll even say it if someone is overtaking me, the politeness almost takes them by surprise...

i try and nod / raise hand a little to most people

i've been ignored by all types too, not just enthusiasts.

i think once you decide to just go ahead and nod regardless you have a better ride

If only I caught up with this earlier...

There I was, freewheeling and enjoying a drink after topping the hill and keeping an eye out for the curlews, when I passed by a heavy breather in full gear, head down on the gleaming road bike... and greeting came there none. I did say 'afternoon' on the overtake, but how much more appropriate would 'IN YOUR FACE SUCKER' have been.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
If only I caught up with this earlier...

There I was, freewheeling and enjoying a drink after topping the hill and keeping an eye out for the curlews, when I passed by a heavy breather in full gear, head down on the gleaming road bike... and greeting came there none. I did say 'afternoon' on the overtake, but how much more appropriate would 'IN YOUR FACE SUCKER' have been.

Followed by "HA HA"
thebiggrin.gif
and this little jig

IME this can get a mixed responce

brockers

I pretty much always nod or acknowledge every other bike rider - if overtaking, or if they're on t'other side of t'road. Best response seems to come from the couple on their hybrids, noodling along and just enjoying themselves. BSO pilots can be a mixed bunch and most mtb riders seem pretty friendly and tend not to take themselves too seriously, but the worst for not reciprocating are the 'all-the-gear-no-idea' roadie twonks invariably pushing too high a gear, eyes on the handlebar gizmo obsessing over their average bloody speed, and with their bikes set up all wrong. It never used to be this way. I did the handlebar finger acknowledgement thing a while back, as I rode past a big group ride from my old club (I wasn't wearing club kit and was pretty much unrecognisable) and only one of them raised a hand in return. It's probably me, I must admit.

Mikeoupe

This is all very confusing! When I first started cycling regularly again 4 or 5 years ago I bought a cheap mountain bike off ebay and wore whatever cloths / trainers I had lying around to ride it; virtually no other cyclists acknowledged me, I'd be smiling and nodding but got the impression they were thinking 'avoid eye contact with the local nutter' :wacko:

Then as I became a bit more interested I upgraded to a Gary Fisher 29'er but still barely a wave or a good morning (perhaps the odd one) My enthusiasm grew and with it I began dressing the part; clipless shoes, gloves, glasses, branded tops / baggy shorts etc and all of a sudden I was sharing a nod and wave with all and sundry (well other MTB / Hybrid types at least, almost never lycra clad roadies) I'd made it into 'the club' with a change of clothes.

Recently I bought myself a nice little Bianchi road bike, I didn't have any lycra clobber when I first got it so wore my MTB gear and what do you know; it seemed as though all my old MTB buddies had stopped waving and the Lycra clad roadies still weren't nodding! :sad:

BUT now I've got Lycra! I may look like a slightly overweight 41 year old balding man in an outfit a size too small but the Lycra clad roadies are waving, nodding and even saying good morning, sometimes it's just the mere lifting of a finger from a drop bar but it's there!

I'm being a bit tongue in cheek but in essence the above does to a large degree reflect my own experiences. That said I'm almost always out cycling for pleasure, no commute for me, so I tend to head for the quieter routes during which I'll say hello to anyone; cyclist, runner, horse rider, whatever, even the local nutter!

As an aside I was recently very confused when overtaking a couple of proper roadies (they looked like they were on a long one) just a few days after picking up the Bianchi, I was wearing a pair of Camo baggies and baggy longed sleeved Grey & Orange Berghaus top, I didn't know whether to say hello or apologise. :blush:

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
arrhhh :angry:

Just been on a ride, passed a guy coming downhil on a cycle path and moved to the side to let him through, put my hand up to acknowledge him and he just cycled past. I was clsoe to chasing him and knocking his head the cheaky geet. for one a moved to the side when i was going uphil when he should have and then to refuse even acknowledging me!!!!!!!!!

C

chillyuk

I'm surprised that no-one has made the obvious point that just because someone else rides a bike it doesn't make him/her your friend, so if he prefers to not acknowledge your presence so be it. You don't say hello to every one you meet off the bike in everyday life.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
i suppose thats the question really chilly, is it right or courtesy to acknowledge other cyclists or not?

it is on a motorbike and almost all nod

Bird

I'm glad I've seen this thread, as I'm new to cycling and didn't know if you were supposed to nod like I would when I'm out on the motorbike! I nod to everyone when out on that, not everyone nods back though but I feel braver behind my full-face helmet so I nod at everyone with confidence. There's snobbery there too, not a lot of people nod at people on mopeds or cruisers.

So out on my first proper (non-motorised) bike ride today and I didn't know how I was supposed to great other cyclists...I don't really feel like I am one yet, will take me a while to get used to that. I said hello to some, mainly older less intimidating people, but any young blokes I was too embarrassed to stop looking at the ground, feel too shy without my safe biker uniform on :biggrin: That's a confidence rather than a rudeness thing though, I tried to raise a smile but think I just looked in pain (I could well have been, my bum was killing). I also look like a complete dork on the bike as I don't know what I'm doing with it, so don't want any "proper" cyclists scoffing at my incompetence.

C

chillyuk

i suppose thats the question really chilly, is it right or courtesy to acknowledge other cyclists or not?

it is on a motorbike and almost all nod

I acknowledge other cyclists as a matter of course, especially in the lanes where I do most of my cycling, just as I used to when I rode a motorcycle, and if I dare admit it, just as we used to wave to each other when I drove a Reliant three wheeler!! However, no-one says you have to nod or wave if you don't feel so inclined.

Norm

You don't say hello to every one you meet off the bike in everyday life.
Hmm...

I wave at every other Defender I see when I'm driving the Land Rover, as you don't see many of them. (I did the same when I had a Porsche, it's a classless thing :biggrin: )

I nod at every motorbike I see when I'm on the bike, as there are not too many of them.

I nod or greet every cyclist when out of town. In town, it's too busy or too noisy or too unrewarding.

In the same circumstances, I greet every walker when I'm walking somewhere quiet, I say hi to people in an otherwise empty train carriage, I bid good morning to people who get into a lift with me... etc.

I even say hi to cyclists when walking and to walkers when riding, and I'll make a point of speaking to everyone I see on horseback, even thought I haven't ridden one in about 40 years.

I don't expect everyone to be my friend and I certainly wouldn't say hi to everyone I see when out shopping, for instance, but I will greet other people when it is practical, without any reference to the respective modes of transport.

Top Bottom