Noise from crank (i think)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wurly

wurly

Time for an update.
I bought a crank removal tool (thanks Rusky). I don't have the splined one yet!
Both crank arms were taken off and inspected. There are no signs of movement in the tapers or the bottom bracket, so i re-assembled the crank arms back on without grease. Tightened them as far as i dare(read.. pretty damn tight).
Back on the bike and down the road...all quiet....until i load the pedals again. It starts quiet and then gets loud.....same noise......'crack' every half turn of the crank.

I am goin to call the shop this morning and try to get them to send me a replacement BB.
While the crank arms were off, i measured the taper length and i made 133.5mm
Looking up on the www i can see there are two shimano sizes available in taper shaft(113x68, 113x73)Where do i get the second measurement from. Is it the frame size? i measured it as 68mm. I don't want to order the wrong one.
Thanks everyone

rusky

CC Addict
Wurly, what bike is it?

OP
OP
wurly

wurly

Well i called the shop to try to get them to send a replacement under warranty. 'No can do', unless i return the bike for them to see and investigate. I think it is a bit crap tbh the bike has done less than 500miles although i can see their point.

So i have decided to buy the replacement myself(they are cheap enough).
The BB in the link is discontinued Rusky, so i have ordered a shimano 113/68 UN54 instead. I rode the bike this morning, it's still making the cracking noise but only under hard pressure.Hopefully i'll have it fixed soon.

redjedi

Über Member
wurly said:
There are no signs of movement in the tapers or the bottom bracket,

If the BB was only slightly too loose I doubt you would be able to see it move. While you're waiting for the new BB, try removing it and re-greasing the threads. It's always satisfying fixing a problem.

zacklaws

Guru
I had a bad creak from what I though was the cranks last year and it took me ages to find, and today it returned again, but fortunatley I know what it is now otherwise it would drive me crazy, one of my shoes creaking when I stand to pedal. Yesterday my shoes got wet in the rain and the leather has stiffened up. Well I hope it is.

Top Bottom