Noise from the crankset region

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jorgemartin

So I've just replaced bottom bracket, pedals, chain and front derailleur and now I'm getting this click noise. The derailleur cage is not touching the chain and the bottom bracket is new, which makes me think that it's the pedals, but they're new too. If the pedals were to blame, how could I fix the issue? Any tips to help me narrow this down would be greatly appreciated.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just to check for simple causes, make sure the front derailleur cable's (the surplus bit) not touching the cranks as they rotate. It'd give a 'click' each revolution of the crank as you pedal.
Caught me out once...

D

Deleted member 1258

Just to check for simple causes, make sure the front derailleur cable's (the surplus bit) not touching the cranks as they rotate. It'd give a 'click' each revolution of the crank as you pedal.
Caught me out once...

I've been caught with the cable end as well, is it possible you have a tight link in the chain? As gbb says look for simple causes, with the pedals, if you can find a way to dribble some oil in them, do they have an end cap you can take of? It should quieten them down a bit if they are the cause.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Check your chainring and cleat bolts are done up tight.

I had a loose cassette once which caused clicking noises which I thought were coming from the bottom bracket.

I had a hard to track down noise once which turned out to be endcap on the front mech cable catching on something (I forget what!) but only in certain gear combinations when pedalling hard (flexing the bike frame?).

A stiff link in the chain, yes, I've had that too.

Another thing to watch out for is that you have threaded the chain through the jockey wheels properly, though getting that wrong normally causes scraping noises rather than clicks.

Top Bottom