Noisy Shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bruce

Hi, the shifters on my training / commuter bike make a terrible racket (rattles) on all but the smoothest surface. They are Shimano Sora's apart from upgrading which would be quite an expensive option does anyone have any experince with type of problem and can offer some help
Thanks
Bruce

leoc

Hi, All I can say is that mine don't, so it's likely to be something about yours in particluar not the sora shifters in general. Unless you have the new ones with gear indicators (mine don't have them) could that be causing the rattling? Could you get the shop to have a look? Sorry if this isn't much help

Globalti

Legendary Member
Do you mean a rattling sound from the chain, which stops when you stop pedalling? This is the chain rattling through the derailleur; you need to adjust the cable tension or the inner and outer travel stop screws.

Do you mean a rattle from the front derailleur cage when traversing rough surfaces? This is the parallelogram rattling because the pivots are worn out. Buy a new derailleur.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Globalti said:
Do you mean a rattling sound from the chain, which stops when you stop pedalling? This is the chain rattling through the derailleur; you need to adjust the cable tension or the inner and outer travel stop screws.

Do you mean a rattle from the front derailleur cage when traversing rough surfaces? This is the parallelogram rattling because the pivots are worn out. Buy a new derailleur.

I dont want to appear rude as I know you are tryingto help, but I did say "Noisy Shifters" and went on to explain the shifters being Shimano Sora were noisy, thanks anyway DOH!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

I am Spartacus said:
I'm glad you could suss out the issue.....
Never go lower down the 'food chain' than tiagra... :bicycle:

I am starting to think u are right. Looks a buying session on Flea Bay for shifters, cassette and rear mech. May aswell upgrade to 9 speed on the commuter

gbb

Legendary Member
I am Spartacus said:
I'm glad you could suss out the issue.....
Never go lower down the 'food chain' than tiagra... ;)

:evil::biggrin::biggrin: You're always gonna get stick from Sora users for that one.
My 8 speed Soras have operated flawlessly for 6000 plus miles when i sold the bike, probably still going now.
Mind, it may be the price difference between Tiagra and Sora may make the upgrade well worthwhile..(ive no idea what the price difference is in general)

I think in general it will be an issue with the individual shifter, not the range. I had a Campag Xenon setup that buzzed like crazy. The same solution mentioned above was used. My newer setup with Xenon has always been fine.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
My Sora experience somewhat tarnished by a road ride last year in Wales... where my colleague's sora groupset had to be banjaxxed into submission twice on a 80 miles route to keep him going for various reasons.... shortly afterwards he went to a 105 bike and relegated the other to winter hack.

Fiona N

Veteran
I am Spartacus said:
.....Never go lower down the 'food chain' than tiagra... :becool:

But I have the same problem on perfectly respectable 105's. It got so bad that on one rattling descent a bit of the 'housing' fell off. A great bike shop ordered the new piece in but it still rattled.
I've put it down to age (the shifters not mine) and the fact they've done a lot of mileage.

Top Bottom