105 R7000 noisy in large front CR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

My bike (2022 Giant Fastroad Advanced 1) has a Shimano 105 R7000 2x11 set up, pretty standard stuff.

Those of you who have seen my other thread will know that it has had an ongoing issue with noisy drivetrain, FDR noise etc.
After several, long trips to my not so local bike shop, I thought they had finally sorted it.
They fitted a new rear DR cable, set it up several times to no effect, and eventually I noticed a 2-3mm side to side play in the BB!
They replaced the BB with a Shimano one and then set it all up...again.
This seemed to sort it, indeed it was a lot better.
The trim now actually seemed to do something and the gear shifts are very slick and precise.
I get minimal cross chain noise, even when in the extreme positions, using the small CR with the smallest rear gear, especially with the trim. I know it's not recommended but at least it's available.
However, I recently noticed that when using the large front CR, that it is noisy, like a rubbing noise that doesn't go away even when using the trim, in fact I have looked and there seems plenty of clearance in the FDR guide so it can't be from there...can it?
It doesn't make any difference which gear combo I'm in, cross chain or not, it just makes this noise if in the large front CR.
From reading online I seem to get a recurring theme of the 105 being noisy in the large front CR, is this correct and if so why? and is it correctable or something that I have to live with?
As I said it's night and day better than it was, but the noise when in the large front CR is very irritating.

It can't be wear and tear as it's practically a new bike (late 2022) and hardly been ridden compared to most of you guys, in fact if it was a car it wouldn't have even been run in yet!

Anyone?

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Front mech set correctly with 2-3mm gap between cage and large chain ring ? Bent chain ring ?

My bike (2022 Giant Fastroad Advanced 1) has a Shimano 105 R7000 2x11 set up, pretty standard stuff.

Those of you who have seen my other thread will know that it has had an ongoing issue with noisy drivetrain, FDR noise etc.
After several, long trips to my not so local bike shop, I thought they had finally sorted it.
They fitted a new rear DR cable, set it up several times to no effect, and eventually I noticed a 2-3mm side to side play in the BB!
They replaced the BB with a Shimano one and then set it all up...again.
This seemed to sort it, indeed it was a lot better.
The trim now actually seemed to do something and the gear shifts are very slick and precise.
I get minimal cross chain noise, even when in the extreme positions, using the small CR with the smallest rear gear, especially with the trim. I know it's not recommended but at least it's available.
However, I recently noticed that when using the large front CR, that it is noisy, like a rubbing noise that doesn't go away even when using the trim, in fact I have looked and there seems plenty of clearance in the FDR guide so it can't be from there...can it?
It doesn't make any difference which gear combo I'm in, cross chain or not, it just makes this noise if in the large front CR.
From reading online I seem to get a recurring theme of the 105 being noisy in the large front CR, is this correct and if so why? and is it correctable or something that I have to live with?
As I said it's night and day better than it was, but the noise when in the large front CR is very irritating.

It can't be wear and tear as it's practically a new bike (late 2022) and hardly been ridden compared to most of you guys, in fact if it was a car it wouldn't have even been run in yet!

Anyone?

is it the same in mid gears as highs and lows?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Would a Shimano Hyperglide chain work on the existing crank set or would it all need swapping out?

Yep, if I'm in the large CR then its the same in all gears.

some pics would be handy. so big CR perfectly straight, no kinks or wobble when looking directly overhead and rotating pedals?

I was going to suggest alignment of the chain/hub issue or as I had on my bike an issue with the mech not been able to cope with the teeth as I had to drop from a 50 to 48 tooth as using a MTB mech and it now moves over far enough.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks guys.
The bike is practically new and has all the original specified kit, not been messed with and too new to be worn out, so I doubt it's an incompatibility issue, well, unless the bike's incompatible with me of course!!!

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Is the frame faulty, BB not parallel to the rear axle horizontal/vertical?
This would highlight an alignment issue more in the big chain ring.

It's possible I suppose, although again it's a new bike so it would have to be a manufacturing defect. Bet it wouldn't be the first time.

Top Bottom