105 R7000 noisy in large front CR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

no way its the chain, if it was you would get noise, jumps etc on small CR as well. General consensus is front mech damage or adjustment, does yours definitely look like the right hand picture viewed from directly above?
View attachment 707083

Not sure, I'll have to check and take a pic.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

yes HG chains are compatible, 105, Ultegra etc. I've got both the Ultegra on one bike and KMC X11 on 105 bike, no difference in noise between the two.

The LBS seem to think that a Shimano HG chain may be a little quieter on my 105 drive train than the KMC X11-EL.
Something to do with Shimano chains working better on Shimano set ups, i.e. less hesitancy in the chain leaving the CR teeth = less friction = less noise?

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The LBS seem to think that a Shimano HG chain may be a little quieter on my 105 drive train than the KMC X11-EL.
Something to do with Shimano chains working better on Shimano set ups, i.e. less hesitancy in the chain leaving the CR teeth = less friction = less noise?

I thought the noise was all the time on the large chainring? Is this correct?

AFAIK the correct Shimano and KMC chain widths will be the same for your 11spd system. In which case I don't see how swapping the make of chain will have a different result.

Find some way of safely getting at least the rear wheel off the ground (even if someone holds it for you) and rotate the cranks slowly and, using a torch if necessary, you should easily be able to spot where the chain is hitting the FD cage.

Do that and you'll be half way home.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I thought the noise was all the time on the large chainring? Is this correct?
Yes, it is but I'm going to check it again on Thursday, just to be sure.
AFAIK the correct Shimano and KMC chain widths will be the same for your 11spd system. In which case I don't see how swapping the make of chain will have a different result.

Find some way of safely getting at least the rear wheel off the ground (even if someone holds it for you) and rotate the cranks slowly and, using a torch if necessary, you should easily be able to spot where the chain is hitting the FD cage.
I intend to set up some sort of makeshift rig to hold the bike off the ground so I can do this :okay:
Do that and you'll be half way home.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sorry, I'm busy with work and eating, sleeping...etc....that's the first chance I'll get to go out.

We need pictures of the mech and chain rings etc. That won't take till Thursday. You actually need to spin the gears etc at home - pop bike on washing line by saddle, to see where noise is coming from (or rest saddle on neck as you look down at bike gears).

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

We need pictures of the mech and chain rings etc. That won't take till Thursday. You actually need to spin the gears etc at home - pop bike on washing line by saddle, to see where noise is coming from (or rest saddle on neck as you look down at bike gears).

Yeah, appreciate your help but it's still not going to happen until Thursday, I'm working from home then so will have more time.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
There are two things I think it can be, pending you getting around to following the diagnostic ideas posted.

1. Chain is rubbing FD at some point as the cranks rotate.
2. FD gear cable is getting hit by the crank arm as it rotates.

Can’t think it can be anything else given what you’ve described, in the absence of anything more concrete in your description of the nature of the noise heard. Plus absence of any photos to show if it’s all assembled properly, which we are kind of assuming as LBS did the work, and you haven’t done anything to it since.

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
Have you checked that the little plastic insert on the inner side of the fd is still there - they can drop off

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

There are two things I think it can be, pending you getting around to following the diagnostic ideas posted.

1. Chain is rubbing FD at some point as the cranks rotate.
2. FD gear cable is getting hit by the crank arm as it rotates.

Can’t think it can be anything else given what you’ve described, in the absence of anything more concrete in your description of the nature of the noise heard. Plus absence of any photos to show if it’s all assembled properly, which we are kind of assuming as LBS did the work, and you haven’t done anything to it since.

No I’ve not messed with it at all, it’s as it left the LBS.
Hopefully photos tomorrow.

Top Bottom