105 R7000 noisy in large front CR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Actually I need to buy some lubes, I have the gritty paste for the carbon seat post but what other basic lubes do I need for chain, pedals, straight through axle threads etc. etc?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Noise only started happening immediately after LBS service?

I’d check bike on stand to eliminate (the cause being) the chain rubbing on FD, since you say it only occurs in front big ring and all cogs at rear.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Can you post a pic looking straight down through the top of the FD?

Possibilities: the cage alignment is seriously off, the trim is not adjusted correctly, the cable tension is incorrect or the cable is routed wrongly around the securing point (there is a little device for determining which way the routing should be - might be in a bag of bits that you got with the bike).

As an aside, might be relevant, can you click into each of the 4 positions of the FD?

R7000 is a pig to set up properly imo.

vickster

Legendary Member
Actually I need to buy some lubes, I have the gritty paste for the carbon seat post but what other basic lubes do I need for chain, pedals, straight through axle threads etc. etc?

Chain lube (wet and dry if riding in all conditions), copper grease for anti seize

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Noise only started happening immediately after LBS service?

I’d check bike on stand to eliminate (the cause being) the chain rubbing on FD, since you say it only occurs in front big ring and all cogs at rear.

Hi, I don’t have a stand but I’ll try to have a better look just to be certain.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Can you post a pic looking straight down through the top of the FD?

Possibilities: the cage alignment is seriously off, the trim is not adjusted correctly, the cable tension is incorrect or the cable is routed wrong around the securing point (there is a little device for determining which way the routing should be - might be in a bag of bits that you got with the bike).

As an aside, might be relevant, can you click into each of the 4 positions of the FD?

R7000 is a pig to set up properly imo.

Thanks, I’ll try to get some pics, but I don’t seem to have an issue in selecting any of the FD positions. However, the trim, despite seeming to work, doesn’t make any difference when using the large CR, I’m fact it sometimes makes it a little worse!
I’m curious now if I have that device for determining the correct cable routing for the FD.
THE LBS have set it all up from scratch (again) after fitting a new BB, so I’d hope they’d done it right?

SpokeyDokey

Thanks, I’ll try to get some pics, but I don’t seem to have an issue in selecting any of the FD positions. However, the trim, despite seeming to work, doesn’t make any difference when using the large CR, I’m fact it sometimes makes it a little worse!
I’m curious now if I have that device for determining the correct cable routing for the FD.
THE LBS have set it all up from scratch (again) after fitting a new BB, so I’d hope they’d done it right?

When I purchased my Trek it came with a FD5801, this was a short-lived transition model between the FD5800 and the R7000. It was all but an R7000 in name only.

It was set up wrong by the LBS at purchase - it only achieved 3 positions instead of 4.

They tried a couple of times again to get it right and simply gave up.

I contacted Trek in the US and they said they were having problems with it too.

After an abortive 6 hour session trying to sort it myself I went back to the LBS and hot them to fit an FD5800 FOC.

Still not the easiest thing to get right but eventually it was made to function perfectly.

Apparently it is even harder to eliminate FD rub with smaller bikes due to shorter chainstays and a more acute angle between the chain and the mech' cage when nearing the extremities of the cogs on the cassette.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

When I purchased my Trek it came with a FD5801, this was a short-lived transition model between the FD5800 and the R7000. It was all but an R7000 in name only.

It was set up wrong by the LBS at purchase - it only achieved 3 positions instead of 4.

They tried a couple of times again to get it right and simply gave up.

I contacted Trek in the US and they said they were having problems with it too.

After an abortive 6 hour session trying to sort it myself I went back to the LBS and hot them to fit an FD5800 FOC.

Still not the easiest thing to get right but eventually it was made to function perfectly.

Apparently it is even harder to eliminate FD rub with smaller bikes due to shorter chainstays and a more acute angle between the chain and the mech' cage when nearing the extremities of the cogs on the cassette.

Oh dear, I hope it’s not that serious 😟
To be honest, I’m ready to try and return it or get a complete gear train switch to something else, even an 1x conversion, under warranty.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm still going with front mech not set up. If no stand, stick your head/neck under the saddle or top tube (depending on bike size and pedal the bike by hand whilst looking to see what's causing the noise. If it's a metal on metal I'm going with front mech not being set up properly. Had this with daughter's bike - cheap cranks that would never run true, but the front mech was sitting slightly too low causing one of the plates to rub the chain ring.

SpokeyDokey

Oh dear, I hope it’s not that serious 😟
To be honest, I’m ready to try and return it or get a complete gear train switch to something else, even an 1x conversion, under warranty.

It really isn't a 'serious' problem. The front mech' almost certainly needs setting up properly.

No way will you get a complete gear train switch or 1x conversion under warranty.

You still haven't told us if you are getting 4 positions or not.

If you really want some help in this thread then photos would help.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

It really isn't a 'serious' problem. The front mech' almost certainly needs setting up properly.

No way will you get a complete gear train switch or 1x conversion under warranty.

You still haven't told us if you are getting 4 positions or not.

If you really want some help in this thread then photos would help.

I thought I had? (I assume by 'all four positions' you mean small CR, large CR plus the trims?)
I'll try and take some pics when I get chance. Definitely worth my re-checking the 2-3mm clearance between the front mech and large CR though :okay:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Regarding grease, which type do I need (silicone or lithium) and any specific recommendations?
Regarding chain lube, are all weather lubes OK (I don't want to be cleaning and re-applying every 5 minutes!) and are they thick enough to help quieten chain noise?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Would a slimmer chain (eg. Shimano Hyper Glide) reduce noise? And are they compatible with my current gear train? (105 R7000 front and rear mechs)

Would a slimmer chain (eg. Shimano Hyper Glide) reduce noise? And are they compatible with my current gear train? (105 R7000 front and rear mechs)

no way its the chain, if it was you would get noise, jumps etc on small CR as well. General consensus is front mech damage or adjustment, does yours definitely look like the right hand picture viewed from directly above?
1695125330496.png

Top Bottom