105 R7000 noisy in large front CR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I don’t know what you mean to be honest?
I’ll have a look tomorrow.

It is something that recognises that it is damn nigh impossible to take out 'rub' on the left inner (looking down from an in saddle position) side of the cage, on modern micro-tolerance FD's. Small chunk of soft plastic that doesn't make a noise when the chain rubs it instead of bare metal. It's a couple of inches long so you can't miss it.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks.
Yes, when I operated the trim when on the large CR, nothing seemed to happen, no movement, if there was then it was negligible and not enough to do anything.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

In your link, which bit is the bit you're referring to?
Is it the black plastic piece above the chain guide or is there something on the inside of the inside chain guide? (hard to trll if that's just reflection form the angled edges or a black insert on the inside surface of the inner chain guide?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Ah, I think it is a strip on the inner surface of the inner guide , I see it now...I think

Last edited:
Looks like it isn’t set up properly. When the chain is on the 11/50 combination it is catching on the inside edge by the looks of it. Would expect it to be close to the outer edge instead.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Thanks.
Yes, when I operated the trim when on the large CR, nothing seemed to happen, no movement, if there was then it was negligible and not enough to do anything.

Okay. The trim shift should definitely be noticeable.

These are the 4 cage positions you should have (NB in positions 3 & 4 the chain will be on the large CR and in positions 1 & 2 the chain will be on the small CR):

Trim.jpg

When you shift from the small CR to large CR the cage should move to the HIGH position.

There should be 3 distinct steps to move from the above position to the LOW TRIM position.

If you do not have 4 positions the FD is not properly set up. Not everybody realises that there are 4 positions as older FD's had 3 positions (and maybe before that, just 2!)

Maybe the Mechanic that set your bike up is not aware of this - stranger things have happened!

Also, as @bikingdad90 has stated the cage looks way too far to the right in the large CR and small cog position.

On the face of it the FD has been very badly set up.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

@Sloth

How is this progressing?

I’ve been laid up with a bad chest infection so haven’t really been able to move forward.
I had notified the bike shop, but I suspect they are beginning to lose interest.
I intend to call them this week though, once I can talk without coughing!
I thought that the trim literally wasn’t moving when on the large CR, as when I looked down (as best I could without falling off) it didn’t seem to move the front DR at all. However when I got home and tried it when off the bike it did move, around 1-2 mm. So whatever is causing the excessive noise on the large CR may not be due to the FDR? Also there seemed enough clearance with the chain guide, so I really don’t know.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Well the (not so) local bike shop fitted a new ‘Ultegra’ chain on Saturday, and also cleaned it (from factory lube) and the drive train/cassette etc up. They then put the first application of ‘squirt’ (E-bike) wax chain lube on, and checked the indexing etc. I did the 2nd application later the same day.
I then left it overnight and went for a ride the next day (Sunday).
Anyway, apart from my legs not seeming to be in the mood, the bike performed flawlessly, gear changes were slick, and chain noise?….well here’s where it gets confusing. At first I thought there was an irritating click or creak on more or less every pedal stroke. My heart sank, this was worse than before!
However as the ride progressed I started to realise that this ‘click’ was apparently in every gear combo. Then I did a few tests of standing off the saddle, and as far as I could tell the click stooped! So could it be the notorious carbon fibre seat post syndrome again?
I also changed to the large CR and spent some considerable time on that, and it seems to be a lot quieter now, so it seems the new chain and lube are doing what I hoped they would.
All in all the bike is now a lot quieter, apart from that annoying click/creak.
When I got home I removed the seat post and applied more gripper paste, re-fit it and ensured it was tightened to the correct torque (6Nm).
Now, I haven't been on another full ride yet since doing this, but I did briefly take a short spin up the road and back after doing the seat post, and so far so good. The noise started pretty much immediately when I did my ride earlier so this is encouraging.
Of course I may be popping the champagne a little too soon, so I’ll be happier once I’ve done a full ride without the clock/creak.
Back on topic though, the chainring noise seems dramatically improved!

Last edited:
Top Bottom